Profile for Del > Reviews

Content by Del

Del

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Drugs Don't Work: A Global Threat (Penguin Specials)
The Drugs Don't Work: A Global Threat (Penguin Specials)

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and to the point., 28 Jun. 2016
A really concise, well written book explaining the mechanisms and potential impacts of antimicrobial resistance, as well as suggestions of strategies to combat it.

Prague Fatale: Bernie Gunther Thriller 8 (Bernie Gunther Mystery)
Prague Fatale: Bernie Gunther Thriller 8 (Bernie Gunther Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars An uncomfortable read, but worth it., 28 Jun. 2016
Not my usual fare, but was recommended to me so gave it a try and wasn't disappointed. A gripping thriller set against the machinations of Nazi Germany. Not for the fainthearted as uncomfortably historically accurate at times, but a very worthwhile read.

Snow Bunny: Chronicles of a Wererabbit: Book Two - The Adventures of a Rabbit Shifter

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sequel, 15 April 2016
I loved the first book in the series, and the second does not disappoint. Snow is growing up, and the reader goes with her as the characters develop and we are allowed more of an insight into what makes them tick. All alongside heartstopping action and, of course, teenage romance. I can't wait to see where the story takes us next!

Man Hunt (Irish Romantic Comedy!)
Man Hunt (Irish Romantic Comedy!)

3.0 out of 5 stars The perfect easy read, 5 Mar. 2016
A fun, fairly predictable, but witty and entertaining read, which does exactly what it says on the tin. And sometimes that's just what you need!

Vax W90-RU-P Rapide Ultra 2 Pre-Treatment Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer
Vax W90-RU-P Rapide Ultra 2 Pre-Treatment Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW WHY DID I NOT GET ONE OF THESE SOONER?!, 14 Feb. 2016
So... This is the longest I've ever lived in one place since I first left home to go to uni.
The carpets in my house are now disgusting. For a LONG time (on and off for the past few years) I've been backwards and forwards over whether I should get a carpet washer.... is it really worth it for this little house. .. pros and cons of buying vs hiring etc. I got a steam cleaner some time ago now which is great, but even that can only do so much against 7 years of ground-in dirt.
So I took the plunge and bought this.
Just tried it in the living room and. ... WOW WHY DID I NOT GET ONE SOONER? ???
2 tanks of dirty water later (and this is just the living room!) And the difference is fantastic.
Carpet practically dry in just a few minutes.
So easy to set up and use, the rest of the house can wait for another day but this is definitely going to become a regular part of the cleaning regime.

Happy Valentine's Day to me lol. What did you do? I cleaned the carpets.

First Thrills
First Thrills
by Lee Child

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 3 Jan. 2016
This review is from: First Thrills (Paperback)
I was really disappointed. From the reviews and the calibre of the 'known' authors I was expecting much more. But from 25 short stories there was only 1 I really enjoyed! The others were dull and very predictable at best, and somewhat ridiculous at worst, with none of the clever twists I was hoping for.
Sorry, but I really wouldn't bother if I were you!

Wizard's First Rule: Book 1: The Sword Of Truth Series (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Wizard's First Rule: Book 1: The Sword Of Truth Series (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Terry Goodkind

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the Stone of Tears!, 26 Dec. 2015
I read this after being introduced to the TV adaptation, which I enjoyed simply as a good healthy helping of fantasy cheese.
The book, however, is very different. It's quite slow to get started, and Richard's initial simpering over Kahlan did make me want to slap him quite hard, but once it gets going it reveals itself to be much deeper and darker than the small screen version. I was totally absorbed even though I knew basically what was going to happen, I loved the extra dimensions that were revealed to characters I thought i knew.
Bring on the Stone of Tears!

The Apprentice: (Rizzoli & Isles series 2)
The Apprentice: (Rizzoli & Isles series 2)
by Tess Gerritsen

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel!, 29 Sept. 2015
A great sequel to The Surgeon. You thought it was over at the end of the first book, but no, he's back and we also get to know Jane Rizzoli much better.
I can't wait to find out what comes next, will Warren Hoyt continue to haunt Rizzoli?
Excuse my while I order the next book....

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Lindsay, Jeff (2008) Paperback
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Lindsay, Jeff (2008) Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings..., 16 Aug. 2015
I think this is probably the only time I've said this about a book that has been adapted for the screen, but I was a little disappointed! I love the series, and usually I find the books more enjoyable than screen adaptations, but not this time. The TV series is so exactly based on the book (which I would never normally see as a bad thing) that page by page I knew exactly what was going to happen. No surprises, no nuances that didn't make it into the show.
I'm not sure whether that makes me a bit disappointed by the book, or means that the series was really really good!! mixed feelings, but I'll be reading the others to see if the same applies.

Bye Bye Baby (a Detective Frank Collins police thriller)
Bye Bye Baby (a Detective Frank Collins police thriller)

4.0 out of 5 stars dark novella with some nice plot twists, 17 July 2015
A fast-paced, dark novella with some nice plot twists. The plot advances quickly which made it difficult to put down. I liked the addition of the original short story at the end, telling part of the same story from the viewpoint of a different character. A nice, easy, lightweight thriller.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5