Profile for Guy Clapperton > Reviews

Content by Guy Clapperton

Guy Clapperton "Guy Clapperton" (London)

The Quatermass Collection: The Quatermass Experiment / Quatermass 2 / Quatermass & the Pit [DVD]
Dvd ~ Reginald Tate

4.0 out of 5 stars Know what you're buying, then enjoy, 15 Sept. 2015
I wish they'd label these things more clearly. So many reviewers hadn't realised the BBC had wiped four of the six episodes of the original series and others seem to have expected this to be a collection of Hammer Films; all they had to do was call it "Quatermass: the BBC Originals" or something and put a note that the first story was incomplete and filmed off-screen (the only way they could keep TV shows at the time) and they'd have managed expectations.

These are lovely old TV stories. The first story just starts to build when sadly the episodes run out, but it gives us an idea of what it was like. The second suffers from some wooden performances - not John Robinson's fault that he was brought in after Reginald Tate died suddenly but he's obviously reading some of his lines, and the space scenes at the end haven't worn well. But I can forgive a lot for Quatermass and the Pit. Yes it's slow, it's not far from 60 years old, and some of the performances are best described as quaint - Colonel Breen basically clenches his teeth and gets on with it - but the story is eerie, the atmosphere tense and Andre Morell in the lead captures the character better than any of his predecessors (I had the honour of interviewing Nigel Kneale by phone for the Radio Times when they revived the first story in 2005 and he told me that Morrell was actually the first choice for the part all along).

So no, it's not the Hammer films and no, the first story isn't complete and probably never will be. But for people who enjoy old TV, who are interested in what gripped a generation before ours, this is indispensable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2015 4:47 PM GMT

Castle Forbes Keig Eau de Parfum (100 ml)
Castle Forbes Keig Eau de Parfum (100 ml)
Offered by The Executive Shaving Company

2.0 out of 5 stars Great but don't blink, 13 May 2015
I had some of this for my 50th birthday and it's lemony, earthy...and lasts about an hour. Sorry guys, but on my skin at least I wash (no, really), shave, put this on and by the time I'm downstairs nobody knows I'm wearing it.

I like the scent very much and I may be unlucky in the way it reacts with my skin chemistry, but for me this one's a bit disappointing.

A Multitude of Sins: Golden Brown, The Stranglers and Strange Little Girls
A Multitude of Sins: Golden Brown, The Stranglers and Strange Little Girls

3.0 out of 5 stars Anecdotes without insight, 2 April 2015
Hugh Cornwell has done a workmanlike job of telling you this happened here, that happened there and how he felt about it. A lot of brushed under the carpet: he left the Stranglers because he felt like it (maybe, but his moment of departure is unrecorded here); he doesn't self-analyse.

This can lead to u intentional hilarity. He spends one chapter telling us all about how many drugs he had. He spends another dwelling on the amount of sex available to the lead singer of a successful band. Elsewhere he tells us that the group became awkward and difficult to work with as their success grew - then he tops it by telling us that they were lucky and kept their feet on the ground when they made it big. What, apart from the sex, drugs and prima-Donna-ism..?

It's a fun read in places (although I agree with other reviewers that the incident with the black woman belongs in an episode of Life On Mars). It's just that I was hoping to see a bit more of the man himself.

Green Lantern [DVD] [2011]
Green Lantern [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much too quickly?, 21 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Green Lantern [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
The issue with this movie is simple. Green Lantern as a comic grew over decades and some of the refinements - yellow lanterns, the villainisation of his tutor Sinestro - came up over years. The first priority was to tell some decent stories.

The issue with this film is it tries to catch up with Lantern 2011 in the first few minutes. So it stalls a little. And gets hostile reviews. Stick with it and it becomes fun and a rotten shame the second movie never materialised (the producers decided to use the character in the Justice League movie, to follow Batman/Superman in a few years).

That's probably a good use of the character. But honestly, indulge a slow start and this film is fine and because of the reception, it's cheap! Enjoy.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely anecdotes, but..., 26 April 2014
This book works on one level when it should work on two, if I'm honest. The good news is that Suggs is a terrific, likeable storyteller and as a string of anecdotes this is top notch. I read it whilst on holiday and laughed out loud a number of times.

But as an autobiography it's a little lacking. Suggs' place of birth: don't know. Date of birth: Yes, he undoubtedly had one. Heroes include Ian Dury and he mentions that they met in the early days, briefly - then omits the record they made together. Drip Fed Fred, which is actually rather good.

As I say, you want a string of Suggs stories, buy this and you'll enjoy it. A lot. It earns those four stars I've given it. I can't give it the full five, though, because as an autobiography it just doesn't do the job.

PowerPoint Surgery: How to create presentation slides that make your message stick
by Lee Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, actionable learning, 10 Oct. 2013
Lee Jackson's is one of the better books on PowerPoint that I've read. It has very simple visuals (which is basically lesson one), it tells you loads about what to do to improve your presentations and offers practical steps about where to get images and soforth.

After reading this in a single afternoon I've re-done a presentation I'm giving next week completely. I'm now confident that the focus will be on me rather than having slides as a distraction for the audience; it's going to be 100% better, largely thanks to what I've seen in this book.

Feel It Live
Feel It Live

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific souvenir of a great gig, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Feel It Live (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to see the Stranglers knock it out of the park on the last date of the "Feel It" tour, The set list was better on that occasion than on this CD, recorded earlier in the tour ("Toiler on the Sea" makes a better intro because it introduces so many of the instruments one by one - it could have been written as a show opener), but this still makes an excellent memento of having been there. Whether it works entirely as a CD in its own right is a bit more open to debate; my recollection is that Baz Warne's vocal was tighter in March and as you'd expect from a live album there's nothing new here. I notice someone else in the product's discussions has called it a waste of time and money (and there will be the inevitable 'not the same without Hugh' sayers).

For me it works pretty well and I'm listening to it a lot.

Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2013 9:53 AM BST

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased to hear an established group moving, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Giants (Audio CD)
OK, cards on the table, I'm not the diehard Stranglers fan that some people reviewing this product are. My brother really likes them so when I saw they were playing locally to me around his birthday I bought a couple of tickets, for him rather than me. I was dimly aware that Hugh Cornwell had left sometime, not 100% certain which of the singers he was. I had the Peaches greatest hits album and that was it. As I say, it was for my brother rather than for me. So I don't have the diehard 'If it's not Hugh it's not the Stranglers' view that some reviewers have.

And on that evening in Croydon they blew me away. Stunning performance, brilliant interaction with the audience - and I was even more pleased to find that a number of my favourites from the gig ("Freedom is Insane", "Time was formerly on my side" to name two) were really, really recent. Off the current album, indeed. Lead singer Baz Warne, who's clearly co-writing very well indeed and offering the band a bit of a new direction as well as doing a great job of singing the older material, is a more than adequate substitute albeit a very different singer to his predecessor-but-one.

I've listened to a lot on Spotify since the gig and although nothing's going to excite me as much as hearing "No More Heroes" when I was 14 (I'm a little less excitable in my late forties) I'd certainly rate this latest album as musically one of their best. Yes it's different, but then shouldn't we all be a bit different from where we were 36 years ago?) and no, Hugh's probably not coming back - but this is better than they've been for years. I say that with a respectful nod to 'Norfolk Coast'. The Stranglers are still one of the more exciting bands around, I'm delighted to have rediscovered them - and "Giants" is a terrific jumping-back-in point.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2013 3:53 PM BST

Two Pints
Two Pints

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 26 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Two Pints (Kindle Edition)
Toddy Doyle site master of comic timing which is pretty damned good when he can't tell how quickly I'm going to be reading. I read this on an all-star hospital appointment an d embarrassed myself by laughing out loud several times. Expect sharp, funny observation, a quick read which doesn't' trouble itself with any real depth. I loved it.

Back In The World
Back In The World
Offered by streetsahead

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a masterpiece..., 18 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Back In The World (Audio CD)
A good album to play to the 'Lennon was better' contingent - this really shows Paul's songs at their best. Back in the USSR and Live and Let Die are as blistering as you might expect (pity Birthday, which he played on my birthday at Earl's Court, wasn't on it) and so is Live and Let Die, as might be expected. The unexpected bonus is how many of the solo songs sound really good as well; it makes you appreciate that they were written for live performance rather than studio or home consumption. Jet, Band on the Run and others are vastly better than the originals and make this a worthwhile buy by themselves.