Profile for Guy Clapperton > Reviews

Content by Guy Clapperton

Guy Clapperton "Guy Clapperton" (London)

That Close by Suggs ( 2013 ) Hardcover
That Close by Suggs ( 2013 ) Hardcover
by Suggs

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely anecdotes, but..., 26 April 2014
This book works on one level when it should work on two, if I'm honest. The good news is that Suggs is a terrific, likeable storyteller and as a string of anecdotes this is top notch. I read it whilst on holiday and laughed out loud a number of times.

But as an autobiography it's a little lacking. Suggs' place of birth: don't know. Date of birth: Yes, he undoubtedly had one. Heroes include Ian Dury and he mentions that they met in the early days, briefly - then omits the record they made together. Drip Fed Fred, which is actually rather good.

As I say, you want a string of Suggs stories, buy this and you'll enjoy it. A lot. It earns those four stars I've given it. I can't give it the full five, though, because as an autobiography it just doesn't do the job.

PowerPoint Surgery: How to create presentation slides that make your message stick
by Lee Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, actionable learning, 10 Oct 2013
Lee Jackson's is one of the better books on PowerPoint that I've read. It has very simple visuals (which is basically lesson one), it tells you loads about what to do to improve your presentations and offers practical steps about where to get images and soforth.

After reading this in a single afternoon I've re-done a presentation I'm giving next week completely. I'm now confident that the focus will be on me rather than having slides as a distraction for the audience; it's going to be 100% better, largely thanks to what I've seen in this book.

Feel It Live
Feel It Live

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific souvenir of a great gig, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Feel It Live (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to see the Stranglers knock it out of the park on the last date of the "Feel It" tour, The set list was better on that occasion than on this CD, recorded earlier in the tour ("Toiler on the Sea" makes a better intro because it introduces so many of the instruments one by one - it could have been written as a show opener), but this still makes an excellent memento of having been there. Whether it works entirely as a CD in its own right is a bit more open to debate; my recollection is that Baz Warne's vocal was tighter in March and as you'd expect from a live album there's nothing new here. I notice someone else in the product's discussions has called it a waste of time and money (and there will be the inevitable 'not the same without Hugh' sayers).

For me it works pretty well and I'm listening to it a lot.

(NB THIS REVIEW AMENDED FOLLOWING A COMMENT BELOW ON ACCURACY - MY THANKS ONCE MORE TO THE COMMENT'S WRITER)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2013 9:53 AM BST

Giants
Giants

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased to hear an established group moving, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Giants (Audio CD)
OK, cards on the table, I'm not the diehard Stranglers fan that some people reviewing this product are. My brother really likes them so when I saw they were playing locally to me around his birthday I bought a couple of tickets, for him rather than me. I was dimly aware that Hugh Cornwell had left sometime, not 100% certain which of the singers he was. I had the Peaches greatest hits album and that was it. As I say, it was for my brother rather than for me. So I don't have the diehard 'If it's not Hugh it's not the Stranglers' view that some reviewers have.

And on that evening in Croydon they blew me away. Stunning performance, brilliant interaction with the audience - and I was even more pleased to find that a number of my favourites from the gig ("Freedom is Insane", "Time was formerly on my side" to name two) were really, really recent. Off the current album, indeed. Lead singer Baz Warne, who's clearly co-writing very well indeed and offering the band a bit of a new direction as well as doing a great job of singing the older material, is a more than adequate substitute albeit a very different singer to his predecessor-but-one.

I've listened to a lot on Spotify since the gig and although nothing's going to excite me as much as hearing "No More Heroes" when I was 14 (I'm a little less excitable in my late forties) I'd certainly rate this latest album as musically one of their best. Yes it's different, but then shouldn't we all be a bit different from where we were 36 years ago?) and no, Hugh's probably not coming back - but this is better than they've been for years. I say that with a respectful nod to 'Norfolk Coast'. The Stranglers are still one of the more exciting bands around, I'm delighted to have rediscovered them - and "Giants" is a terrific jumping-back-in point.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2013 3:53 PM BST

Two Pints
Two Pints

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Two Pints (Kindle Edition)
Toddy Doyle site master of comic timing which is pretty damned good when he can't tell how quickly I'm going to be reading. I read this on an all-star hospital appointment an d embarrassed myself by laughing out loud several times. Expect sharp, funny observation, a quick read which doesn't' trouble itself with any real depth. I loved it.

Back In The World
Back In The World
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a masterpiece..., 18 Aug 2003
This review is from: Back In The World (Audio CD)
A good album to play to the 'Lennon was better' contingent - this really shows Paul's songs at their best. Back in the USSR and Live and Let Die are as blistering as you might expect (pity Birthday, which he played on my birthday at Earl's Court, wasn't on it) and so is Live and Let Die, as might be expected. The unexpected bonus is how many of the solo songs sound really good as well; it makes you appreciate that they were written for live performance rather than studio or home consumption. Jet, Band on the Run and others are vastly better than the originals and make this a worthwhile buy by themselves.