Profile for Winston Smith > Reviews

I Don't Believe in Atheists
by Chris Hedges
Price: 13.79

3.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Believe in Atheists, 19 Sep 2010
In I Don't Believe in Atheists, Chris Hedges claims that the New Atheists are mistaken in thinking that human nature is perfectible and that a utopian future is possible in which rationality and science can replace religious thought. He says that we should acknowledge that human nature is intrinsically flawed and can never be perfected. He claims that the New Atheists are blaming religion for the problems in the world and that this can lead to a belief that to rid the world of its problems and achieve the utopian future we must rid the world of religion. This way of thinking, he says, has dangerous precedents.

Hedges believes that there is place for religious thought in helping us understand the non-rational aspects of existence; that not everything can be explained by science; that the meaning of human existence is ambiguous and ultimately unknowable.

I'm an atheist and I agree with him. Unfortunately, to make this important point, I think he's attributed opinions to people - Dawkins, Harris, Dennet, Hitchens - that they don't necessarily have. There are parts of the book that appear to be non-sequitur arguments. However, I still think this book is well worth reading. It's the third book of his that I've read; the other two are Empire of Illusion and American Fascists, which I think are both worth five stars.

The Moral Premise: Harnessing Virtue and Vice for Box Office Success
The Moral Premise: Harnessing Virtue and Vice for Box Office Success
by Stan Williams
Price: 11.79

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better screenwriting books, 7 Dec 2009
This book, along with Robert McKee's Story and Karl Inglesias's Writing for Emotional Impact, is well worth reading.

Writing for Emotional Impact
Writing for Emotional Impact
by Karl Iglesias
Price: 12.69

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best screenwriting books available, 7 Dec 2009
I've read quite a few of these screen-writing books and I'd say that, once you know the basics, this one would be a very helpful way of becoming more advanced. It's the sort of book you could keep referring back to for ideas if you had a mental block or wanted to liven something up a bit.

For the basics - Story by Robert McKee is very good.

another more advanced one that is good is The Moral Premise.