Profile for K. R. Jones > Reviews

Airdrawndagger
Airdrawndagger
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 10 years on and I still love it, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Airdrawndagger (MP3 Download)
One of the best electronic albums ever made, sadly underrated but magnificent, Sasha has had moments of brilliance after this (most notably the soundtrack to New Emissions of Light and Sound) but it remains his high watermark as far as I'm concerned.

The Inheritors
The Inheritors
Price: 11.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, pure and simple, 7 July 2013
This review is from: The Inheritors (Audio CD)
What a month for music. The Boards album is their best yet. The new Moderat stuff promises to be fantastic. This is another story though. I bought "Gone Feral" on the day of release, listened a couple of times, hated it. "What's he doing" I thought. Starting to hang around with the wrong crowd probably. Done a Bjork and disappeared up his own bottom. Sad. This isn't the James Holden I've grown to love over the years.

Something bugged me though; he's responsible for my favourite mix CD of the last 10 years - At the Controls - how could he go so badly wrong?

When the album was released I listened to a few tracks on YouTube to confirm my suspicions about what a car crash it was but one track broke through my prejudice. That was "Blackpool Late Eighties". As with all the music I truly love very quickly other tracks started standing out to me; ":a Circle Inside a Circle Inside:", "Inter-City 125", "Delabole", "The Inheritors", then I re-listened to "Gone Feral" and suddenly it made total sense.

So yes, in short, James Holden has made me realise again what a true artist is. The sounds are brutal, the timings are all over the shop, it sounds like electronic warfare, and it's amazing. I promise to never doubt him again.

Red Tails [DVD]
Red Tails [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cuba Gooding Jr.
Price: 4.40

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a missed opportunity - what a shame, 26 Oct 2012
This review is from: Red Tails [DVD] (DVD)
This movie makes a mockery of the true story of the Tuskegee Airmen and for that reason alone deserves your contempt because it will stop other film makers from making better movies about the subject for at least another 10 years. The 1995 Laurence Fishburne movie is better. If you're interested in the subject then do yourself a favour, stop reading this now and go and watch that instead.

If you're interested in a vacuum-headed movie that plays out like "Pearl Harbor" though, then read on.

You'd think that with such a rich and heroic story to work from that even George Lucas couldn't mess this one up. He's done the same, however, to the story of the Tuskegee Airman that he did to his own "Star Wars" by creating a movie that is almost entirely free of memorable characters and packed to the nines with ridiculous computer effects.

So the plot sucks, but maybe it's worth watching for the action? Nope. I'm afraid the computer visuals all looks kinda fake and crappy so you're entirely detached from the action. CG always suffers from this anyway, I suppose it's cheap compared to actually filming real aircraft though so we're force-fed warm spoons of it in everything these days. The CG in "Red Tails" is especially nasty though because it has a kind of dull flatness to it that screams FAKE at you in 100 foot tall flashing letters. On top of that the movement of the aircraft has that fake "spaceship" style CG look and also depicts stunts that the aircraft can't physically do. The idea of having a P-51 do a backflip to take out a bad guy may seem cool to the scriptwriter and is probably cool to most brain-dead movie goers these days, but if you know anything about air combat it ruins the scene. Do some research before writing drivel like this, please.

Don't even get me started on the whole idea of doing a movie which is ostensibly about racism while at the same time having possibly the most shallow and stereotypical German baddie I think I've ever seen. He even has a scar on his face. Where is the true story of air combat in WW2? The too-young men who are thrown into the fray day upon day, tired and terrified for their lives but not showing it out of bravado, on both sides - Allied and German? Read "The Big Show" by Pierre Clostermann and tell me again how "Red Tails" even vaguely reflects true air combat in WW2.

I LOVE the story of the Tuskegee Airmen. I love the irony that by being small-minded racists the US Army accidentally created an elite fighter squadron. This message is NOT conveyed in this movie and I think that's probably the biggest travesty of all.

In summary - don't expect much from this otherwise you'll be disappointed. "Saving Private Ryan" this ain't.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2013 11:20 PM BST

Silencio
Silencio
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic stuff, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Silencio (Audio CD)
Laetitia's latest album sounds like she's really finding her feet. It took a couple of listens before my mind tuned into it, but now I'm there it's a lovely place to be. The standout track for me is "Fragment pour le Future de l'Homme", a stunningly catchy little track that just won't get out of my head. "Auscultation to the Nation" reminds me of "Ping Pong" from Laetitia's Stereolab days with its juxtaposition of pop and politics. "Find Me the Pulse of the Universe" is a sumptuous homage to mathematics and nature. "Silent Spot" is just heart breakingly beautiful. Too many amazing tracks really.

Wahl Clip N Rinse Cord Cordless Rinseable Rechargeable Hair Clipper Kit Black / Chrome 9639-017
Price: 19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after being used less than 50 times, 8 July 2012
With the professional reputation that Wahl has I was expecting better. Like several people here mine broke at the head, the lower blade came loose and now rattles around as a result of the two small plastic pins inside the head breaking. It did the job OK, no worse or better than the Philips shaver I had before that lasted for ages. Not recommended.

The Trip
The Trip
Price: 12.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Laetitia's solo album doesn't disappoint, 25 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Trip (Audio CD)
Fantastic album, "Fluid Sand" and "Natural Child" are the standout tracks for me. "The Trip" is a much more quirky, diverse and experimental album than Laetitia's material with Monade. On first listen you're struck by how sparse some of the arrangements are, and by the unusual choice of instruments and sounds (even within a single track like "Fluid Sand"). My least favourite track is the cover of "Summertime" because it's quite conventional and I don't think it sits too well in this album that is otherwise packed with wild and crazy originality. Even so Laetitia manages to put a nice French spin on it so I don't skip past it just yet. Just like the best material by Stereolab, I'm finding it hard to get the melodies from this album out of my head, it will be on my permanent playlist for a long time yet.

Nickel On The Grass: Reflections of a U.S. Air Force Pilot
Nickel On The Grass: Reflections of a U.S. Air Force Pilot
by Philip "Hand Handley Colonel USAF (Ret)
Price: 7.96

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Vietnam pilot memoirs I've read, 24 Jun 2010
This is a brilliant book, I just noticed there's no review for it yet so I thought I'd add one in case you're trying to make up your mind.

Colonel Handley flew the C-130, F-4 and F-15 in the USAF so you can expect a lot of stories about those types, especially the F-4E gun-armed variant which is surprisingly quite under-represented in books.

There are a lot of fairly dry and technical books out there about air to air combat, rest assured that this isn't one of them. It is filled with great little stories and humourous moments and reminded me a lot of my favourite book ever, "Sled Driver", because it's a very human take on the job of flying fast jets.

The cover painting depicts the author carrying out the only known supersonic gun kill in the history of aviation, and this is covered in some depth in the book.

You can get more info about the book at nickelonthegrass.net

Buy this book, you won't regret it...

The Sarah Silverman Program - Season 1 [DVD]
The Sarah Silverman Program - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sarah Silverman
Offered by replay-international
Price: 16.97

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it 10 stars if I could, 14 Sep 2009
Personally I think this show is one of the most consistently wonderful things on TV at the moment. Like Sarah's stand-up, it is definitely an acquired taste and the easily offended should just stay well clear.

The central premise of the show is that Sarah's character thinks that the world revolves around her and she is constantly trying to make herself the centre of attention, often when other characters are really suffering. She does all this with a bluntness and innocence that is both cringeworthy and hilarious, and no-one else but Sarah could carry this off - her performance in "The Aristocrats" movie proved that.

The supporting cast in the show are drawn from Sarah's real life friends. Even the little stray dog she took in makes an appearance. This helps to give the show a home-made kind of family atmosphere.

I first saw this show when I was living in the USA in 2007, it was awesome then and as I've re-watched the episodes on DVD I've grown to love it even more. The only other recent comedy series that has equalled SS's show for me is "Curb Your Enthusiasm"

All in all, I'd give it 10 stars if I could. Roll on the release of season 2!

The Richard Dawkins Collection (The Genius of Charles Darwin,  The Enemies of Reason and The Root of All Evil?) [DVD]
The Richard Dawkins Collection (The Genius of Charles Darwin, The Enemies of Reason and The Root of All Evil?) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Dawkins
Price: 8.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, 5 Sep 2009
What is there to say? Dawkins is an intensely shining light of reason in a world torn apart by religion. I love all of his work and these 3 films are a perfect introduction for anyone who is interested in what he has to say and why.

In "The Root of All Evil?" he examines religion and interviews all manner of deluded individuals; some harmless and some not so. The ex-Jew who converted to Islam is particularly unsettling to watch, especially when he rants about the way that western women dress. The interview with the uneducated US preacher who was soon exposed as a massive hypocrite is another stunning moment. I'd feel more sorry for these people if they weren't trying to tell people what to do.

In "Enemies of Reason" Richard casts his net wider to cover homeopathy, crystal healing, cold reading, horoscopes and all manner of other forms of hocus-pocus. If, like me, you've ever wondered why people get taken in by that kind of drivel you'll be thrilled.

And finally in "The Genius of Charles Darwin" he talks about the most beautiful and simple idea of recent times: evolution. Just as Copernicus showed us that the Earth is not the centre of the unverse, so Darwin showed us that we are not the centre of the animal kingdom either. The fact is that we are just another product of nature; flawed, yes, but also fantastically complex and in a unique position in the history of our fragile little planet.

Religious people like to say that not believing removes the mystery from the world, removes the whole "point" of existence, even removes the reason to be moral and good. Well, for me, people like Dawkins give me hope for the future. While religion teaches us that we are masters of the Earth - made in god's image with a free reign to do as we like - evolution demonstrates to us, in no uncertain terms, that we are an animal that must learn to live in harmony with our environment or suffer the consequences.

For anyone new to Richard Dawkins I'd certainly recommend this DVD set first, then read "The God Delusion" then if you want to see how deep the rabbit hole really goes I'd recommend reading "The Selfish Gene" followed by possibly his best work; "The Extended Phenotype". I am currently reading "The Ancestor's Tale" and am stunned with each fresh turn of the page.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2010 8:40 PM BST

The Peter Serafinowicz Show [DVD]
The Peter Serafinowicz Show [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Serafinowicz
Price: 5.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius show, 11 Aug 2009
Awesome show, I managed to miss a couple then the BBC didn't bloody repeat it so I can't wait for the DVD to come out... apparently I have to wait though, until Feb 2010, argh...

Page: 1 | 2