Profile for AlanMusicMan > Reviews

Content by AlanMusicMan
Top Reviewer Ranking: 336

AlanMusicMan (North Cornwall)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
20 x AG13 G13 SR44 LR44 A76 V13GA PX76A 357 Alkaline Button Batteries [Watch]
20 x AG13 G13 SR44 LR44 A76 V13GA PX76A 357 Alkaline Button Batteries [Watch]
Offered by Quality Clothing Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value no problems yet., 9 Feb 2014
We get through a few of these so I thought I would buy a bulk pack. Installed the first couple and no problems as yet - certainly no occurrence of the "spent in a few days" problems that others seem to have suffered. So far, so good.

Jellybean Black Wallet Leather Case & Stylus Pen For Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500
Jellybean Black Wallet Leather Case & Stylus Pen For Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500
Offered by Jellybean Gorilla Ltd
Price: 4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 9 Feb 2014
Very good. Feels like leather which is all that matters and protects the phone screen. I am Very happy with it

Samsung (SH-224DB) DVD Re-Writer SATA 24x Black No Software or Cables-OEM
Samsung (SH-224DB) DVD Re-Writer SATA 24x Black No Software or Cables-OEM
Offered by ADMI Limited UK
Price: 12.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 9 Feb 2014
It's terrific. If, like me, you can remember when units like this cost in excess of 100 (only early 2000s since you ask) it's a marvel that you can get one like this for less than the cost of a pub lunch for two. Works flawlessly. delighted.

I Believe In You
I Believe In You

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Class, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: I Believe In You (MP3 Download)
It's pure class. It's beautifully crafted, it struts its music stuff and it ends. Nothing extra. A Swiss watch of a track and a lovely thing to hear.

Valley Girl
Valley Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like totally - oh my god!, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Valley Girl (MP3 Download)
Who'd have thought that Andrea Zappa's incredibly mannered and trippy Valley-Girl lingo (not invented by her, but she must have been close to the source) would catch on to the extent it did/has? You hear so many young people talking like a cross between Andreas' Val-talk and the "Question talking" popularised in "Friends" and its TV clones (as in "My name is Jack Smith?"). In our age of mass and ceaseless communication, mannerisms are more contagious than diseases!

I'm not sure what Frank was trying to do here, was he saying (within a muscial context) jeez! look what my daughter has become, or was he trying to say, isn't this a great way to talk? I guess the fact that he left in Andrea saying "I do not talk funny" is a clue. Great track just for the novelty value.

Walking After You
Walking After You
Offered by johnmciver
Price: 3.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Not usually a Foo fan... but..., 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Walking After You (Audio CD)
I'm not a great Foo Fighters fan - but this song just has that certain something and the performance (on this single version - though less so on the album version) is spot on for me. I can listen to this on repeat for hours.

City of New Orleans
City of New Orleans

4.0 out of 5 stars Gettin' it from the Source, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: City of New Orleans (MP3 Download)
As the writer of this intriguing song, Steve's version can be said to be canonical. I think Arlo Guthrie did the best pop version, and Willie Nelson did the best country version. However, I think Steve's version is great, better than - say - John Denver's and I'd listen to it any time. It's a great great and highly evocative song and I hope Steve was aware that he'd created a classic.

Elite 1 Step Technology Bathroom Scale My Weigh Heavy Duty 28 Stones 8lbs / 180kg
Offered by Superstars
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Elegant and functional, 9 Feb 2014
Everything about this product is good.
The user guide tells you what you want to know - for example how to switch between metric or imperial weights. The display is clear and legible. It doesn't need the zero point setting on it each time you use it. Display doesn't stay on for a needlessly long time (thus reducing power consumption) it seems to be very accurate. It's slim and elegant. Full marks!

The Argent Anthology: A COLLECTION OF GREATEST HITS
The Argent Anthology: A COLLECTION OF GREATEST HITS
Price: 22.52

2.0 out of 5 stars Album Versions are Not the Hits., 9 Feb 2014
I'm afraid I take the view that a greatest hits album (especially one which zones in on the tracks that were singles) should contain the original single versions and not the (0ften tediously elongated) album versions. I have some of these on other releases and I much prefer the single edits/mixes.

The Essential Recordings
The Essential Recordings
Price: 6.06

3.0 out of 5 stars Of Its Time., 8 Feb 2014
Ever so, ever so of its time. Ford was a big star - a big radio star and one of the early stars of US TV.

TEF has a rich full voice which helps sell the songs featured here, though from a 2014 perspective there are some odd song choices.

"Sixteen Tons" will be familiar to collectors of 50s hits, and "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" may be dimly remembered by anyone who grew up in the 1950s and remembers the TV series of that name, for which it was the theme. Likewise "Mule Train" may also be familiar - but that's less likely. Then we have a great many other selections (40 tracks on this CD set) which may or may not tickle your fancy.

To me, tracks like "What this Country Needs" and "The Lord's Lariat" are incredibly po-faced and dated, but no doubt heartfelt, pleas for a return to old fashioned values (I'm guessing in the face of the onslaught of Presley and his like). We also have a number of songs with "Boogie" in the title which bob along nicely without setting your pulse racing. We have story songs - "Stack-O-Lee" for example - reason I bought this set (my mum had a 78 of it which I remembered well). We have some 50s staples (often featured in documentaries about the era) such as "Hey Good Lookin' (What you Got a Cookin')?" and some huntin' songs and a handful of novelty numbers ("Ain't Nobody's Business But My Own") which I'm guessing featured on those early TV shows.

Overall if you're into the old-time country genre, or want to wallow in variable quality nostalgia that this could easily be for you. Go into it with your expectations set accordingly and you'll have a good time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20