Profile for AlanMusicMan > Reviews

Content by AlanMusicMan
Top Reviewer Ranking: 296

AlanMusicMan (North Cornwall)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Great looking shoe - but...., 21 Oct 2012
I've had a pair of these for about a year now and I am about to replace them. Not because they are worn out, but because although they are probably the best looking pair of shoes I have ever owned, they are also the most uncomfortable. I do have ample room inside these (size 13s) so it's not a size issue, they just don't support my feet very well. Like always, I put it down to them being new and told myself that they would be okay after a while, but they never have got comfy (just very slightly less uncomfy!) so now I am giving up on them and will be looking elsewhere for my next purchase.

Grit 800 (P800) Wet And Dry Sandpaper Sanding Polishing Paper Abrasive Finishing Sheet
Offered by Alex's Sandpapers

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a bargain!, 23 Sep 2012
As you know 800 grit sandpaper is very useful for creating smooth finishes on varnished or painted surfaces, When you have applied a coat of paint or varnish, you use a fine grit (400 or 800) sandpaper to smooth it off first (and then remove the dust with a semi-damp lint-free cloth before you apply the next coat). A few cycles of this and you'll have a lovely finish that will be very durable. These sheets are priced as a real bargain and I am minded to buy me a good few of them. Like you though, I will be careful to check the postage costs before ordering.

Alan T

The Hits Of Edwin Starr
The Hits Of Edwin Starr

5.0 out of 5 stars The originals! The best., 13 Sep 2012
You'll probably be looking at this collection because you want copies of "SOS", "Headline News", "25 Miles" and "War"? If so, go right ahead and buy. These are the originals and they sound goooooooood! Far better than the several collections of remakes and out takes which are also available. This collection is the goods!

Best Of, The - Great Soul Classics
Best Of, The - Great Soul Classics

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Re-Recordings, 13 Sep 2012
Based on review on another site I asked for this CD for my birthday. What a let down though, these are palid re-recordings of the original hits, nothing like as good as the originals. If its the powerful Edwin Starr originals you're looking for this is not the CD for you.

The Best Sixties Album In The World...Ever!
The Best Sixties Album In The World...Ever!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's The Same Old Songs, 26 Aug 2012
You'd think there'd only ever been 50 or so hits in the 1960s, every compilation has the same core tracks on it. Do you really need another copy of "Pretty Flamingo" or Hi-Ho-Silver-Lining (yawn)? The inclusion in this set of the palid and gutless stereo remix of Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay" on here (rather than the infinitely better original Mono mix) is just indicative of how little the compilers of this shovel-ware exercise really care about the music of this era.

It's really way past time that somebody compiled a 60s compilation with something different on it.

I'd suggest:

Come on Over to My Place - The Drifters
You Don't Know Like I Know - Sam & Dave
Mr President - Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich
Heather Honey - Tommy Roe

Almost all of these titles were hits and or got massive airplay at the time - but rarely ever show up on compilations.

Time 60s hits compilers started casting a wider net!

The Great Gatsby (BBC Audiobooks)
The Great Gatsby (BBC Audiobooks)
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars A slightly adventurous treatment., 23 Aug 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a little dismayed when I realised that this version of Gatsby was not by-the-book. It doesn't start with that famous prologue about Nick turning over that piece of his father's advice and reserving judgements (one of my favourite passages in the whole book) it starts kind of in the middle with Nick already reacquainted with his distant cousin Daisy and her unlikeable husband Tom.

When I realised that, in this radio play, the time line in F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic was only going to be used as a rough guide to how the story unfolds rather than stuck to like a stamp to a letter, I was immediately against the idea. How DARE they mix it all up this way! However, it was interesting and well performed, so I kept with it to see if (a) my favourite lines had been left out so that I could really write it off as a turkey and (b) how they would deal with the problems created by starting about 30% of the way through the original timelines of the book.

I'm glad I did stick around because this actually, on its own terms, works very well. All my favourite lines are in there somewhere (apart from the prologue) and the sequencing gets back on track after the first hour or so. However, I would still far prefer a linear presentation of the original storyline, but as reworkings go, this is not half bad. If you'd never heard the story before and it was the kind of genre (angst American style since you ask!) you liked, then I think you'd probably lap it up and ask for more.

It convinces on a lot of levels, the sound-scapes are good, the performances are all solid (my British ears didn't detect any duff American accents for example) and the characterisations believable. The latter half of the story unfolds as it should and it ends with the wistful sense of lost opportunity and utter waste that permeate the original.

So, although this is a somewhat needless resequencing of the story (and I would always prefer one that stuck to the original) I could be persuaded to listen to this again at some time.

The Spark of Life: Electricity in the Human Body
The Spark of Life: Electricity in the Human Body
by Frances M. Ashcroft

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Read!, 23 Aug 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After years of messing around with electronics, computers and circuitry I have to stand back in awe at the electrical system upon which my whole body depends. When you think that it's only a sub-system of the entire body, it's even more remarkable. This book takes you through the intricate electrical processes which animate and control yours and my body. It looks at the role that electrical subsystem plays in feelings such as pain, pleasure, discomfort, sensing, feeling, hearing and seeing. It's an amazing tour and even more remarkable when you reflect that - as the author points out - we are only part way to understanding how this aspect of "us" works - and when it comes to understanding the complexities of how the brain processes and generates all this electrical information and control, we have a very long way to go.

It certainly made me think of me in a rather different way. Highly recommended.

The Making of Modern London
The Making of Modern London
by Gavin Weightman

5.0 out of 5 stars But what about the TV Series?, 18 Aug 2012
This book was - and is - superb. It tells the story of how London transitioned from being a large town with an aglomeration of villages around it to be a cohesive - if disparate - whole. The world's first super-city.

It's all here. The building of the railways, paving over the rivers, untrammelled speculative building, dealing with the slums, London at war, the underground, how the Victorian, Edwardian and 20th century suburbs were built. It's a great read for anyone who has ever wondered how it all came to be or those who (like me) feel at once impressed and repelled by the idea of so many millions people in such a comparatively small area.

It was, of course, accompanied in the mid 1980s by a Thames TV series of the same name (possibly that even came first) - which was truly excellent and of which I still have one episode (captured at the time on VHS and later transferred to DVD in all its wobbly glory!). That show still fascinates me and I get it out to watch every now and again, my copy may be poor quality technically, but it's documentary making par excellence. Its a absolute crime that the series has never been reissued. I think Freemantle media now owns the Thames library - so how about it guys?

Draper 59824 20 mm Brad Nail
Draper 59824 20 mm Brad Nail

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Selling. Product Unknown., 24 Jun 2012
What a shame there is no other way to let the vendor know that this listing is worse than useless. It doesn't say what quantity of nails this pack contains and it doesn't give a hardness rating. I bet there have not been many sold..... deservedly so.

There are actually 5000 in this pack - which is a real bargain as compared to DIY store prices for these things, but how would you know from this listing? I had to go and look it up on Toolstop.

ADDENDUM:

Well, that was a bad buy! These brads don't fit in my Stanley staple/nail gun. They're too big. 8-(

Arrival - Complete Collection
Arrival - Complete Collection
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Art - Bad Tech, 13 May 2012
Arrival's work deserves a much better revival than this. As other reviewers have noted, the technical quality of this CD is poor. I think these are cleaned up transcriptions from original Vinyl - not at all done from masters - and not done all that well, either.

Give or take a few clicks and pops, my original single of "I Will Survive" sounds marginally better than the muddy version on offer from this CD, as does my single of "Friends". Listen to the section of "I will Survive" after the second chorus - leading into the instrumental bridge - if you want to hear it at its worst. Given the care and love that have so obviously gone into the liner notes and artwork, you have to wonder if the original master tapes are lost now, or perhaps the Decca archive refused access to them?

However, if you don't already have Arrival music in original format then do buy this CD. The art transcends the technical problems and this is GOOD music. It's just that the technical side of things should have been so very much better.

Oh, and "Friends" is the album version - not the Mono single version which, as somebody has already said, ended with a massive elongated piano chord, not the repeat fade out offered here: This reinforces the suspicion that these are just LP transcriptions. Also a bit odd that this discrepancy is not mentioned or explained in the liner notes (so far as I could find anyway!).

P.S> For anyone wondering if "I Will Survive" is the same song that Gloria Gaynor made famous, no it's not. Her song is about surviving relationship break ups. This song is about surviving more general kinds of oppressions.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30