Profile for AlanMusicMan > Reviews

Content by AlanMusicMan
Top Reviewer Ranking: 415

AlanMusicMan (North Cornwall)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Reon LED GU10 5 Watt Power Spot 50W Replacements, Warm White, Pack of 4
Reon LED GU10 5 Watt Power Spot 50W Replacements, Warm White, Pack of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, efficient and very acceptable light quality., 22 Jan. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are fantastic. Very bright, but no energy wasted on producing heat, so they're very economical. The light from them is perhaps a little, well I'd describe it as cool, not as warm as the ones they replaced, but not objectionably so. Great lamps. Will be using these in future.

Amazing Spaces
Amazing Spaces
by Jane Field-Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars A feast for the eyes and mind of the DIY devotee., 18 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Amazing Spaces (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you have lots of money and can can hire an interior designer to design what you want and a firm of builders to build it, then this book is probably not of such huge interest. However, if you have a limited budget and are shopping for ideas on how to plan, build or refurbish your own place, then dive straight in - this book will provide inspiration in absolute spades!

Building unique and highly personal spaces, combining economy, ingenuity and originality is what this book is all about. Everything in this book is guaranteed to trigger whole new ideas for those of the right cast of mind. As you turn each page the "wow"s will come thick and fast. Okay, not every idea is what you would choose for your own amazing space, but the astonishing diversity of what people have achieved amounts to a roller coaster ride through what is possible. Its a ride that's well worth taking!

Alan T

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits

4.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, but way too much Stereo!, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The majority of these hits were made to be heard in Mono. Pushing them out in Stereo stands in danger of diluting them to the point where they aren't as good. Many 60s bands have suffered this (the Hollies back catalogue of hits an outstanding example - their singles albums are a disgrace to EMI) and so it is with a few of the tracks here. "Come Tomorrow" the track I was really wanting to get (since I already have most of the others) turns out to be Stereo.

Great great hits, but if they were hits in the days of Mono, probably best to leave them that way.

Henry Ford (Lives and Legacies)
Henry Ford (Lives and Legacies)
by Vincent Curcio

5.0 out of 5 stars A single-minded man on a mission., 5 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Henry Ford was not a man you would want to cross, not one to forgive. However, if you worked well with him or served him well, then he would look after you. He seems to have spent most of his life in pursuit of something. Whether it was his dream of making cars for everyman or his later passions for streamlining processes or his zeal outside of engineering, he was a remarkable and single minded man.

Beginning HTML5 and CSS3 For Dummies
Beginning HTML5 and CSS3 For Dummies
by Ed Tittel

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Intro, 5 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you want to learn about the latest HTML version and cascading style sheets then this book will help you. It does assume a little pre-knowledge (thus only 4 stars) but nothing you can't pickup from free websites. By the end of the book you'll have looked at what makes a good website and how to create it using these tools.

Samsung UE55F6800 55-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD 3D Slim LED Smart TV with Dual Core Processor (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars HDMI Audio Issues: Breaking my Heart to Send it Back... but.., 16 Nov. 2013
I bought the 55" version of this in September 2013 - at a great price from Amazon.

As a TV it works really really well. Great picture quality and (after a little adjustment to audio lip-sync) works great with our Sky+ box.

However, I also wanted to use it to display from an ASUS HDP-R1 media streaming box (a stand alone box which streams video, audio and photos from our home server) and from our home cinema PC. When using these two devices with the TV (feeding output from their respective HDMI outputs) I get a great picture, but either get no audio (PC) or very much adrift audio (streamer box). In the latter case, the audio delay settings offered by the TV don't provide enough adjustment to get near to making it work properly (and in any case any such adjustment throws out the lip-sync for the SKY+ box, since the adjustment affects all HDMI inputs).

I tried both PC and streamer box with other TVs. We have an old Series 3 32" Samsung and also a series 4 32" Samsung TV and they both work perfectly - perfect lip-sync. I tried the streamer box on a 60" Finlandia HDMI TV at work and again, perfect synch. Clearly then, very unlikely to be a problem with these external devices.

So, downloaded and installed Version 1111 of the firmware from the Samsung website and installed it, problem remains. I contacted Samsung support on several occasions (by email and phone) and after asking me to try all the things I had already done, essentially got a lot of generalities about device incompatibility (thus floating the proposition that as time goes by, Samsung's TV products get LESS compatible with external devices??) and they eventually (today) said they could not help me any more.

I'm fairly willing to bet that there is some kind of software problem with the HDMI audio handling on this model/series of products. As you will see, other reviews here - and the numerous comments on those reviews - show that I am far from the only one to have audio problems with this model. This makes it all the more disappointing that Samsung's UK support people (in Ireland) didn't offer to escalate the problem to Samsung corporate - even though I suggested that this might be a good idea. Worse yet, when I called Samsung customer service at the UK HQ to see if they could help with escalation, I was told that if the call centre had said they couldn't help, well, that was the end of the story.

My conclusions: Samsung's customer service operation lacks any in-depth technical expertise and doesn't have any viable escalation path. Samsung UK don't quite realise this. Due to this, I am not going to get this problem fixed quickly. NB. This compares very poorly with - for example - the USA, where Samsung operate an online-expert forum where you can ask questions to any technical depth and get serious answers.

I'm sure that at some stage in the future, there'll be a firmware update for this product line that will fix this problem. However, to spend over £1,100 on a TV and then find it has this kind of fairly basic flaw is very disappointing. The vendor's response to being told about the problem is even more disappointing. I therefore decided that I didn't want to keep this TV.

Full marks to Amazon because, even though (due to the elongated troubleshooting process described above) the TV is outside its 30 day returns window, they have agreed to take it back for refund. Assuming that all goes through, I shall be off to look for a different product - most probably a Sony.

It's breaking my heart to have to send this back, because in other respects this is a superb TV, but it doesn't do everything that I want it to do which, for the price, it really should. I now also have serious concerns about the quality of support I could expect if I ran into any more problems, or if I ever got around to using the dazzling array of other features this TV provides.

Alan T

NOTE: In fact after Amazon kindly took this TV back, I bought a 55" Panasonic Viera TX-L55ET60B which also gives superb picture quality and solves my problems with HDMI audio. It also has a lot more options in the HDMI configuration - you can set an HDMI channel to take analogue audio if you get issues for example (a feature available on older Samsungs, but not the one I sent back). Also the Panasonic has a nice SD card slot on it - as well as USB slots etc.

I sent emails to Samsung UK MD (Andrew Griffiths) and Customer Service director (Melanie Lewington) with my original review (as above) - I have never been favoured with a reply. Nuff said.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2014 3:00 AM GMT

The Negotiator in You: In Life (BBC Audio)
The Negotiator in You: In Life (BBC Audio)
by Joshua N. Weiss
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted more., 14 Nov. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very much like its companion CD this mostly seems to me to offer some fairly self evident advice, just applied to a non-work (home) situation.

If you think you have no experience in negotiation then think again, you do it all the time (with your kids when bed-time approaches, when deciding what to have for dinner, what to do at the weekend etc. However, if you haven't previously realised that, then buy this CD, you will get something out of it. If you have already reached that realisation then this may not be for you.

To me it seemed like it had just covered the basics and was preparing to go onto a deeper level - but that's when it ended.

The Personal Business Plan: A Blueprint for Running Your Life
The Personal Business Plan: A Blueprint for Running Your Life
by Stephen Bruyant-Langer

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended., 14 Nov. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The premise is: If we all paid as much attention to planning our lives as our business and our careers then we'd all do a lot better. Of course this premise somewhat ignores that there is more "heart" work in life than in business, but it's true enough that this book brings some very good insights into how to "do life" better.

Most of us stumble through our non-working life without a very coherent plan or set of goals. We do far too many things on impulse and can often lose out (financially, or in other ways) because of that.

This book doesn't want to completely destroy the spontaneity that makes life exciting however, but it does want to channel those sorts of impulses, to better direct the energy that spur of the moment decisions can unleash and protect from their bad consequences. A lot of it is about thinking through possibilities ahead of time.

To take one example, if you have have thought through roughly what kind of car you need before you are even in the market for a car, you'll be less likely to make a spur of the moment decision to buy a lovely but completely unsuitable car you happen to see in a showroom whilst out shopping for pizza!

It's that kind of guidance that this book provides in spades - not a prescriptive approach, just encouraging you to think ahead about your life in the way you would about your business or your career.

Well worth a read.

The Negotiator in You: At Work (BBC Audio)
The Negotiator in You: At Work (BBC Audio)
by Joshua N. Weiss
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely Incomplete..., 14 Nov. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I listened to this CD all through and whilst listening to it I nodded a few times in agreement, but mostly I just remember thinking "well duh!". In other words this mostly seems to offer some fairly self evident advice. In summary, in a negotiation both sides get more out the activity if they broaden their scope. If it starts out as being about money, try to bring in other things to sweeten the bitter pill of compromise. In a properly conducted negotiation nobody wins, but nobody loses - and so on.

If you think you have no experience in negotiation then think again, you do it all the time. However, if you haven't previously realised then, then buy this CD, you will get something out of it. If you have already reached that realisation then this may not be for you.

Coast to Coast
Coast to Coast

3.0 out of 5 stars Originals? No, seems not 8-(, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Coast to Coast (Audio CD)
Compared to the version of "The Lumberjack" that's on YouTube (which DOES sound like the original that I have on an old radio recording) the version that is up for preview here sounds like a different and later recording. Shan't be buying this one. Should be flagged as re-recordings.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30