Profile for George S. Smith > Reviews

Content by George S. Smith

George S. Smith "realbadtaste" (Lincolnshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Return to Splendor
Return to Splendor

5.0 out of 5 stars Underated Irishman?, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Return to Splendor (Audio CD)
There's no point in me trying to convince you that this CD is any good, you either like quirk or you don't like quirk. Good Elvis soundalike who sometimes sings songs that came out AFTER Elvis' death. Good for confusing folks. Look, I like Elvis, I like 'KIng'. I've got his CD's in the car. That's about it really. Gamble a few bob and try one of his Cd's, second hand even.

Maypole 48mm Heavy Duty Ribbed Jockey Wheel
Maypole 48mm Heavy Duty Ribbed Jockey Wheel

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute quality, 27 May 2014
Bear with me. After buying a trailer for nearly a £1000, the jockey wheel shaft bent badly when the wheel shook down during driving. The 'manufacturer' told us we should take it off during towing because this can happen (!) All I saw in the Amazon listing that it was 48mm, something I had already measured. We had to have one there and then. My goodness when it came I could hardly lift the parcel. It's twice as long, if not more, that the original one. It has ribs on the shaft so once it's clamped up, it cannot move, and never needs to be lowered and the winder has ample depth. One other thing, there's a little sprung loaded rod that locks the winder so it can never shake round and down. It's such good quality I wonder why the trailer manufacturer never fitted one originally. Pleased? Well pleased.

Welcome to the Party
Welcome to the Party

5.0 out of 5 stars Good niave music, 27 May 2014
Second one downloaded as an MP3 for a few pence. Dated but very listenable. If Jamie Cullum likes it, I'm in!

Oua-Train
Oua-Train

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz History, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Oua-Train (MP3 Download)
Heard it late at night on a Jamie Cullum radio programme and had to have it. Downloaded as an MP3 for a few pence suited me just fine. Good bit of Jazz history, no matter what you think.

The 1950s American Home (Shire Library USA)
The 1950s American Home (Shire Library USA)
by Denise Boucher

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 27 May 2014
Of course this subject has been covered many times, in larger books. (sometimes lumbering and over worded) I've read a lot of them, or tried at least. What is nice is the 'Shire' format. In the UK, they have always been nice, easy read, up to 64 page books written by independent folks, expert in their own field. I have dozens and dozens. The content in this one has a nice 'dab' of each area, housing, houses, life style and accessories, if that makes sense.
Regarding the Levitt housing, I feared Diane would miss out on an important bit of American history, continued racism. Indeed, no mention that the 'GI bill' excluded Black servicemen from jumping up the housing list, as white servicemen did. Far into the book, at page 55 actually, in the Chapter 'Good Life', Diane tells us that as late as 1960, in Long Island Levittown, of the 82,000 inhabitants, not one was black. Levitt originally refusing to sell or rent to black families. Quite awful.
Do I like the book? Yes. It is comprehensive, and comfortable. Living in the UK, I wrongly just assumed Levitt housing was all ET type estates, with wide streets and identical houses. Indeed, other books have intimated this by their not mentioning anything else. Dianne's chapter on Architectural designs addresses this well.
I feel, and I am British after all and we had a much different Post War, that I'm making headway in understanding Post War life and design in the USA. Levitt, Eames, Ranch houses and low slung furniture all had their place. I'm spurred on, and looking again at the Shire USA books, thank you Diane.

The Very Best Of (French Import)
The Very Best Of (French Import)
Offered by NetsavesUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Be very careful, 12 July 2011
Be careful if using any Amazon marketplace seller that they don't substitute a CD of a similar name 'The Best of Buddy Holly' and in tiny writing underneath '& the Picks, vol 1' The number for this one is APWCD1047. This alternative one has the disgusting, intrusive, talentless overdub by the 'Picks' that makes it painful to listen to. It's also only one CD. Quite a few sellers are offering this one deliberately or accidentally. Amazon should step in. I'm going through the channels at the moment.

American Legend
American Legend

1.0 out of 5 stars Know your Picks, 12 July 2011
This review is from: American Legend (Audio CD)
Oh Boy, what a mistake. 3 CD set that actually is only ½ a CD. Didn't realise it (well, it wasn't in the description)but most of the tracks are overdubbed with the 'Picks' unique style of enhancement. I've heard them described as 'intrusive' or 'criminal' but their style of singing just doesn't work. I even think they drop bits of their own musical instrument skills in here and there too. Ugh! Put it this way, think of a Ballad by Elvis accompanied by the Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band and a Barber shop quartet, yes it's possible but why would you? It's going down the charity shop tomorrow. Fortunately I only paid a 1p for this this set from an Amazon marketplace seller, any more and I would have been throwing my Wayfarers at the speakers. If you want a clean Buddy sound, go for 'Buddy Holly, Oh Boy' 21 originals digitally remastered, and don't be tempted by this.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2014 9:48 AM BST

Never Give Up Hope
Never Give Up Hope
Offered by " Simply Mad About Music "

4.0 out of 5 stars Gentle Doo Wop, 25 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Never Give Up Hope (Audio CD)
Simply, this is the gentler side of Doo Wop. You'll never get caught speeding with this playing in the car. Ballad'y harmony. Lovely grub. 45 minutes running time is not a full CD, but 17 tracks anyway, and really not a bad one amongst them. All crystal clear. As the previous reviewer said, 'you won't be disappointed' especially if you get it for a few pence from Amazon sellers marketplace. Put on late at night, sound down a little and perhaps a beer, heaven. Horrible label doesn't do it justice.

Essential Doo Wop - The Nutmegs Meet The Diamonds
Essential Doo Wop - The Nutmegs Meet The Diamonds

5.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Doo Wop, 25 Jan. 2011
A good introduction to Doo Wop for anyone wanting to test the water. Sadly, not all Doo Wop is good Doo Wop and to spend a few quid on a CD, only to find it isn't all the 'Fashionable', high air play Doo Wop can be disappointing to say the least. Repetitive acapella can get boring after 20 tracks! This CD has a good mixture though. The Black group (Nutmegs)with it's non instrument singing and the White group (Diamonds)with it's bouncy, Chimes/Zylophone/Sax, commercial sound. One or two well known tracks, 'Words of Love' (Holly) and 'Why do fools'(Lymon) will keep you in your comfort zone. One or two 'humorous' tracks and a Risque one to boot ( she's my Zip Zip and she makes me flip, flip, flop)shows the White groups soon cottoned onto the early Black group's fun of double entendres, originally poking fun at the White audience, before the crossover, who had no idea. Added to this, there's 30 tracks in all, and why shouldn't there be? Each track at an average of two and half minutes makes you wonder why more expensive CD's stretch 20 tracks over two CD's other than to make it look a bargain? All in all a nice CD, in a cardboard sleeve with insert, and if you look carefully at Amazon marketplace sellers, you can get it for next to nothing. If you then decide Doo Wop isn't for you, give it to your Dad, he'll love it.

Five Year Calendar for Kindle (2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 with photos)
Five Year Calendar for Kindle (2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 with photos)

1.0 out of 5 stars What's it's purpose?, 6 Sept. 2010
Being keen to buy something for my new Kindle, I fell upon this, and had clicked to buy before looking at other products. I really needed a Wall Planner style apps to add daily notes to. This Calendar doesn't even highlight the current day, (very frustrating), the Days and Numbers are very difficult to see on some Months, clashing with the rear photography, and unless I've missed something, no way to add a note to a date. Unless you want to see what day the 23rd of June 2012 is, for example, it has very little use. Sorry, but that's how it is for me.

Page: 1 | 2