Profile for Alan Tranter > Reviews

Alan Tranter

ELVIS PRESLEY: A LISTENER'S GUIDE
ELVIS PRESLEY: A LISTENER'S GUIDE

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the final word... how can it be?, 30 Mar. 2015
Not as gushingly uncritical as one might expect... in fact, not gushingly uncritical at all. While Shane is obviously a fan, high praise is hard to discern, even with the fifties songs where it is fashionable. I wouldn't want Mr Brown's commentaries to influence a new fan, as each of us will (and each of us do) find our own favourites for our own individual reasons. Listen to the songs first.. all of them... then buy the book. Nicely written, and entertaining.

Nicholas Nickleby
Nicholas Nickleby

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and fluid, 30 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Nicholas Nickleby (Kindle Edition)
Dickens at his Dickensest. Storytelling like we'll never see again. Amazing plotting and prose that is a beautiful balance between poetry and density. If you've never ever READ Dickens, start here.

Vibe OptiSound TV5D Digitial TV Subwoofer
Vibe OptiSound TV5D Digitial TV Subwoofer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with LG Televisions, 1 Feb. 2015
I had to return the item because it seems to be incompatible with LG TVs... LG TVs cannot combine the TV Speakers with an outside source (Analogue or Digital), at least on my model, as you have to choose one or the other. So, you get either no bass... or only bass. I did, however, plug it into my DVD player, and agree with some other reviewers that the bass seemed a little "muddy". Maybe I will save a little longer (this was the budget option) and at some point purchase a 2:1 Soundbar.

Salter StowAWeigh 9147 BK3R Body Analyser Bathroom Scale
Salter StowAWeigh 9147 BK3R Body Analyser Bathroom Scale

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 18 Sept. 2014
Nice looking machine. Once we we'd worked out how to use it, we were very pleased.

15 Storeys High : Complete BBC Series 1 & 2 [DVD]
15 Storeys High : Complete BBC Series 1 & 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Lock

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Sept. 2013
Discovered this after the event on Netflix... yes, it IS as good as they say. Along with Spaced, Father Ted, and The IT Crowd, the best sit-com in recent years. Easily.

Linens Limited Polycotton Hollowfibre Non-Allergenic Pillow
Linens Limited Polycotton Hollowfibre Non-Allergenic Pillow
Offered by Linens Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, 15 Mar. 2013
Two in the picture... but you only get one. Also, so thin and substance-less that you may as well not have a pillow at all. Had to go and buy another.

The Next Day
The Next Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Bowie is back!, 15 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
Still absorbing it - but I've reached that point now when I'm humming these songs in my head when elsewhere. Bowie is back.