Profile for KruseCtrl > Reviews

The Top Gear Years
The Top Gear Years
by Jeremy Clarkson

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be so quick to judge, 16 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Top Gear Years (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of Jeremy Clarkson, so when I read people accusing him of money grabbing by re-selling all of his articles in book form put a bad taste in my mouth. It is true that the only part of the book that contains new material is the introduction, where Jeremy states himself "One day, I may write an autobiography. But this isn't it." This so called flaw in Clarkson's book only applies to you if, a) you own every issue of Top Gear Magazine from 1993 where Jeremy has written a column or b) you're Rain Man and can memorize anything you read which would make owning this book redundant.
Now that I've cleared that up, I'll go on to write what my opinions are on the book. I love it. You could put it down to my highly biased opinion on Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson that makes me look past the grumbles and moans that his book is recycled material, but I don't care. It's a great novelty to have his articles in one book that you can carry around with you, read with caution however, as you will be smiling and laughing at his comical and witty experiences and anecdotes.
If you know Jeremy Clarkson you'll have a pretty good idea on what the chapters are about. Complaining, criticizing his co-workers Richard Hammond and James May, and finding solutions to his own complaints. In one instance, he solves Britain's drink diving problem by introducing a `green light system' where a person who has been drinking is allowed to drive home providing they place a green flashing light on the roof of their car, to warn others they are intoxicated.
A great attribute of the book are the pages that separates the years of his columns. They're accompanied by the car of the year, top 5 singles and top 5 movie releases for that year.
This book is a must have for any Clarkson or Top Gear fan, and with the book not solely based on cars, it makes as a great gift for anyone who enjoys a combination of wit, stupidity and controversial opinions.