Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer

Clearblue Digital Ovulation Test - Pack of 10
Clearblue Digital Ovulation Test - Pack of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth buying if ttc, 18 Jun. 2015
i don't normally write reviews for products other than books, however i thought i would for this product. i bought them because having decided to try for another baby at the grand old age of 37, i thought they would just help my husband and i to be sure we were trying at the most accurate time. the instructions were really easy to follow, i started testing on day 9, i got 2 days of low fertility, then 5 days high fertility (flashing smiley) before i got my peak (static smiley).

and first cycle of trying to conceive, i am pregnant with Baby number 2! :) so clearly they work!

they are a bit on the expensive side but i wanted another baby very much so i was prepared to fork out anything to help me achieve this quickly (patience is not my strong point!)
i would totally recommend them.

Claimed By Chaos: Spencers In Love Book Three
Claimed By Chaos: Spencers In Love Book Three

3.0 out of 5 stars could have been better, 30 Jan. 2015
I read the previous books in this series and was waiting impatiently for this one so I was chuffed when it was finally published. However...having now read it I was a bit disappointed. The author seems to have taken the 'flawed hero' stereotype and ramped it up to the point of ridiculousness. In the previous books, Alistair simply came across as a likable but reserved genius, in this book he had sooo many eccentricities he became a faintly ludicrous character and certainly no romantic hero for me. For example:
Elements of OCD,
Poor ability to cope with any emotion without either suppressing it or exploding,
Extremely demanding,
Hypersensitive to touch, sound & light,
Overly logical,
Slightly narcissistic (he never apologizes for any of his frankly annoying behaviour)
Unpopular....
The list could go on. I mean come on, give the poor fellow a break!

And I’m sorry- but someone with extreme hypersensitivity to touch would surely not go and get a tattoo?! It’s just so silly and unbelievable. Yes I know its only fiction but if an author is going to give a character an affliction, at least try and make it fairly realistic.

The heroine, Giselle, was only marginally less irritating herself. connected to French royalty but living and working as a spy for the previous few years and believed to be dead by Alistair's brother Giles who used to work with her, she's completely emotionally messed up.
she takes playing hard to get to the limit and then some, although to be fair, Alistair's constant harping on at her to marry him and pushing her all the time to open up, would probably try the patience of a saint, never mind someone who's been living on her wits for years and protects herself from vulnerability by withdrawing emotionally.

As with the other books, it is Mirabelle and Lucien who shine again for me. I love Mirabelle as a character and absolutely loved hers and Lucien’s story. Mirabelle is funny, feisty and clever and so much more likable than the tedious Elise in book one and the emotionally withdrawn Giselle in this book.
her payback to Lucien for his part in a childhood prank towards her (which has come to light because Giles told Giselle all about his family and childhood when they were in France together and she lets it slip to Mirabelle) was hilarious and Lucien totally took it on the chin, cementing my view of him as easily the most likable, charming and funny of the three male characters, and certainly more my type of romantic literary hero. In contrast, Alistair's shrieking like a girl because she dumped syrup and hay on him was yet another annoying facet of his behaviour.
most of the time whilst reading the book I just kept thinking, 'get a grip' with both main characters (mainly Alistair though). for me, if characters are irritating or annoying, it spoils a book no matter how interesting the background plot is. the hero and heroine have to be likable and neither of them really were. when Giles punches Alistair at the end, he totally deserved it, the tool.

The love scenes were reasonably well written, and steamy and I think improved the book overall. Had the book been merely a chaste romance, with Alistair being the complete plum he is, and Giselle vacillating with her emotions every five minutes, I’m not sure I would have finished it.

So overall...I did enjoy it, to some extent but it could have been better.
I am completely addicted to regency era set romantic fiction and this series of books has been better than some of the books I’ve read (there is unfortunately some absolute rubbish out there). It’s just a shame that the final one did not, in my view, match up to book two, but perhaps that's just my preference because I liked Mirabelle and Lucien as characters the most.

Her Mystery Duke
Her Mystery Duke

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read....historical erotic fiction at its best, 23 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Her Mystery Duke (Kindle Edition)
this book was absolutely brilliant and i could not put it down! a million times superior to 50 shades (which I couldn't even finish it was soo poorly written)-great characterisation-I was engaged with both Jeanne and the duke-a decent plot which many of these sort of books don't have. I liked the era it was set in-my own personal preference for regency fiction and it was steamy without bordering on abusive (unlike 50 shades in my opinion). just fantastic really. I reluctantly put it down after ready up to 60% in one sitting (and only because it was 2am and I have to be up at 6am!) all in all-one of the best erotic fiction novels i have read, its a shame this isn't being made into a film...

A Mix of Murders: Fifteen Historic English Cases from the Twentieth Century
A Mix of Murders: Fifteen Historic English Cases from the Twentieth Century

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 5 Oct. 2013
I'm an avid reader of true crime books and i thoroughly enjoyed this one. well written, and completely engaging, each chapter described cases which were less well known, which is a bonus for me as I have read so many books which are just rehashed studies of more famous killers. I also liked how the author provided a 'case formulation' at the end of each chapter discussing why the killer committed their crime. I couldn't put it down. would absolutely recommend.

Quit Eating Shit Stupid: How Modern Food Is Making You Sick, Tired, and Dumb
Quit Eating Shit Stupid: How Modern Food Is Making You Sick, Tired, and Dumb

1.0 out of 5 stars badly written and not an interesting read, 4 Oct. 2013
I thought part of writing a book was to engage the reader-clearly the author thought differently. I could handle the bad language, and even the appalling spelling but the hectoring tone of the book was just too much to take, especially since there was no research to back up his claims. just seems like some bloke following a diet which suits him and self righteously deciding to push his views onto others.

Sarah Millican - The Biography of the Funniest Woman in Britain
Sarah Millican - The Biography of the Funniest Woman in Britain

1.0 out of 5 stars cringingly awful, 2 Oct. 2013
oh dear me... this would probably have been a very entertaining read had it been written by someone else. the author has written such a sycophantic book, it feels like its been written by a 14 year old running some cheap fansite. i like Sarah Millican's comedy and was interested in reading about her life but the dreadful writing put me off so much I couldn't even finish it. I suspect that Sarah did not authorise this biography, its just cobbled together snippets from other interviews with a lot of gushing about how marvellous, clever and funny Sarah Millican is. really- just don't waste your money, there are probably much better books about her on the market.