Profile for Bruce Broadhead > Reviews

Content by Bruce Broadhead

Bruce Broadhead "rock fan" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Full Circle
Full Circle

5.0 out of 5 stars Creed are back, older, wiser, better and stronger., 3 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Full Circle (Audio CD)
I'm big big fan of Creed, but will try to keep this review as unbiased as possible. For those people who liked Creeds previous albums but are unsure of their new material following their reunion, be rest assured, this album is far better (in my opinion) than their previous albums. It's clear to hear that they have matured a lot over the past 5 or 6 years or so. Lyrically, every song is brilliant, imaginative but relevant. Musically, they are all brilliant too, with some catchy guitar riffs and excellent guitar solos as only Mark Tremonti can do. Whilst they have "evolved" ever so slightly with more of a darker Alter Bridge sound to them, Creed's signature sounds and Stapp's vocals remain as strong as ever, if not stronger. Sometimes it takes a few listens for songs to grow, but on this album, every song grabs you and sucks you in instantly. that said, I feel track 2 (Bread of Shame) doesn't quite grab me that way, but it is still a good song, a grower.
Stand out tracks for me are Rain, Suddenly, Full Circle, Time, Fear, The Song you Sing and Away in Silence, pretty much the whole album. Rain in particular stands out to me, yes it's "radio friendly" but it's as catchy as hell and I defy anyone not to turn the volume up and sing along to it! The same goes for all the other songs on the album. I think this album will follow me about the house and in the car for a long time to come.
If you're new to Creed and you like this album, go and buy their back catalogue, you won't be disappointed. If you're new to Creed and still unsure, look them up on myspace or you tube and sample some of their songs. It's hard to compare them to any other bands because they're unique, but if you like the likes of 3 doors down, shine down, alter bridge, logan maybe even nickelback, take a gamble, it's well worth it. Also, look up Alter Bridge, fans of Alter Bridge and Creed know already, but the two bands share the same band members with the exception of the vocalists. AB sound a little different to Creed, but are absolutely awesome. If you like Creed, you'll love alter bridge.
Well done to Scott S, Mark, Brian and Scott P, a sublime album! can't wait for the UK tour and hopefully many more albums of this calibre.

Folklore and Superstition
Folklore and Superstition

5.0 out of 5 stars pure brilliance, 1 Oct. 2008
bought this album after hearing Blind Man on Scuzz. The album turned out to be complete suprise. You know what it's like, you buy an album after hearing one song and you often find the one song you bought it for was the only decent song on it. Not the case with this one, the whole album does not have a bad song on it. Its got everything, great lyrics, good strong vocals and some amazing guitar work.

go buy it.

Falling Away
Falling Away

5.0 out of 5 stars good honest rock, 8 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Falling Away (Audio CD)
only became aware of crossfade after it was recommended to me by Amazon, so I looked them up on the web (myspace and crossfade's own site) and heard a few of the songs from this album which sounded promising so I took a chance and bought this album. I wasn't disappointed.

in my opinion, the only poor song is the end track. The rest of the album is great, with a mix of big guitars and vocals.

My favourite track is breathing slowly (track 8), but tracks, 2,3,4,5,6,9 & 10 all stand out (thats right, just about the full album). tracks 1 & 7 aren't bad at all, just not as strong as the rest.

Crossfade seem to be a talented band with great musicianship and imaginative lyrics. hope they keep it together and release a future albums.

my personal taste in music are bands like, alterbridge/creed, submersed, logan, shinedown, 12 stones, nickelback, daughtry and the like, so if you like any of these bands, Crossfade are worth looking up. If you haven't heard of any of these bands, shame on you! look them up now!!!!!

Immortal Verses [Us Import]
Immortal Verses [Us Import]
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars counting down the days, 11 Sept. 2007
Submersed debut album (In Due Time) was absolutely brilliant, it had everything (ie, great vocals, big choruses, pounding drums and excellent guitar riffs/solos as well as varied moods).

This albums isn't out yet, but having heard the 1st single from the album (Better Think Again), I can't wait until it's release. I am quite litterally counting down the days.

Would recommend this album purely on the strength of the new single alone.

Have only given this a 4 star as I have only heard the one song, but if this album is anything like In Due Time, I'm sure other reviewers will give it the 5 stars it will deserve.

Like the vast majority of these american rock bands, they never seem to make the charts here in the UK. this is such a shame, as the likes of Submersed, alter bridge, crossfade, Lifehouse and the like absolutely blow the likes of Shane Ward & Co, artic monkeys and the like away!!!!

Blackbird
Blackbird

5.0 out of 5 stars must have this album!!!!!!!!!!!, 7 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Blackbird (Audio CD)
altough the album is not due for release until 8th Octover 07, I have heard from various websites 5 of the new tracks which sound absolutely awesome!!!!!!!
One Day Remains is undoubtably one of the best ever rock albums. Blackbird promises to be even better! On the Tracks I've heard (which are Rise Today, Ties That Bind, Brand New Start, Before Tomorrow Comes and Watch over You), Myles Kennedy is on outstanding form and Tremonti's guitars just get better.
The opening track will be Ties That Bind and what a track to start with!! the guitar intro is great, it starts of fairly mild but before you know it, it's in full swing.
Of the songs I've heard so far, Before Tomorrow Comes is my personal fav, which is more of ballad (a bit like broken wings).

Goes with saying that I cannot wait until 8/10/07. (and the tour in January)

Sunday Girl [2 Track CD]
Sunday Girl [2 Track CD]
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it for the "B" side, 20 Jun. 2007
bought this single as (some would call me sad) I buy all Erasures releases religiously. I'm a massive fan of all their work, but don't let my self confessed madness put you off.

Sunday Girl is a fantastic, upbeat and uplifting track. That said, the album version is better. Erasure sound as fresh and as young now as they did back in the 80's, only better. They have definately improved with age.

Although Sunday Girl is indeed a stomper of a track, so is the B side "Take Me on a Highway". Erasure have the knack of producing absolutely brilliant B sides and this is (in my opinion) one of their best. Another stomper of an upbeat track which is reminiscent of all their older stuff.

Sadly Sunday Girl only made number 33 in the charts - I've said this before in reviews. Great bands like Erasure, Depeche Mode etc who have been around for so long in comparision with most of the crap in the charts do not get the backing of major radio stations (Radio 1, etc) and TV music channels. This is a shame because Erasure are without doubt so much more talented than, Shane Ward, Leona Williams and the like. Maybe with a bit more airplay it would have done better. Perhaps maybe even done better if it had been released as a double A side with Take me on a highway which is a tad stronger than Sunday Girl. Think we should start a campaign to rename X-Factor and the like to "make me a one hit wonder!!!". Us Erasure fans should campaign to get Erasure back to the top of the charts where they belong.

The Innocents
The Innocents
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Still fresh!!!, 5 Jun. 2007
This review is from: The Innocents (Audio CD)
bought this album years ago after I had bought Wild and Chorus. Was only in my teens and saved up my paper round wages. I became a massive Erasure fan after getting Wild and Chorus and then went and bought all their back catalogue.

I listened to this album again the other day and had forgotten just how good it is. It still sounds as fresh today as did when I bought it all those years ago!

Some might say this is the album which really launched Erasure. And who could argue with that statement when when you have songs like a A Little Respect, Phantom Bride, Chains of Love, hallowed Ground, Heart of Stone, Yahoo and Imagination on it.

Some of the songs from their new album Light at the end of the World has a few chords and lyrics which are reminiscent of this album.

Anyone who doesn't have this album in their collection are losing out.

Chorus
Chorus
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars (as always), 31 May 2007
This review is from: Chorus (Audio CD)
I once heard someone use a phrase "all killer, no filler". This certainly applies to this album. There isn't a bad song on this album (in my opinion). My personal favourites on here are Breath of Life, Joan, Siren Song, Turns the love to anger and of course Home, which is such a good track to finish the album with.

I was lucky enough to see them live (the phantasmagorical tour) at the time this album and the Abba-esque EP were no 1. Thank you big sis!. They finished with Home (before the encore) and suddenly, the lyrics seemed to have such meaning - "I am never going home, cos I'm having a good time".

it's been 16 years since this album was released and I agree with other reviews, it sounds as fresh now as it did then. There is so much depth to this album. Andy's vocals are fantastic and the music arrangement is sublime. All of Erasure's albums are fantastic, but this one is best listened to through a good set of headphones with some decent volume and it is just so easy to get lost within the layers of music and bass with Andy's vocals soaring above.

Everyone has their own opinions and tastes and it is always difficult from reading reviews to make your mind up cos there is always such contrasting opinions.

I have been a big fan of Erasure since I was a young boy and heard my big sister playing A Little Respect in her bedroom. It was Blue Savannah and the album Wild that kicked it all off for me, but this album sticks out from my collection and still gets a very regular outing 16 years later! surely that says it all. Buy it, trust me, if you liked any of Erasure's other work, either pre or post Chorus, you will not be disappointed with this.

Wild!
Wild!
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the many Erasure masterpieces, 31 May 2007
This review is from: Wild! (Audio CD)
have been listening to my Erasure back catalog a bit since buying their new Album, Light at the end of the world (which is one of their best albums). When i listened to Wild again this morning the car on the way to work, I realised I'd forgotten just how good this album is. I was in 2nd or 3rd year of High School when I saved up all my pocket money and bought this album and I listened to is constantly until it was later replaced by Chorus (again, another top album). School was a happy time for me and listening to this album just took me straight back to being 12 or 13 again.

The album has such a mix of moods and tempos (which seems to be a hit or a miss with other people from looking at the other reviews). Blue Savannah was the song that really triggered my love for all things Erasure. It was after hearing Blue Savannah on the radio (back in the good old days when Erasure got plenty of airplay!!!!!!!) that I bought this album.

You surround me has to be one of my all time Favourites and listening to Star again reminded me of my high school sweetheart as it was one of her favourites.

It doesn't matter how many reviews you read, every individual has their individual opinion. I gave this album 5 out of 5, perhaps I'm biased cos I'm such a big fan, but the only way to find out is to listen to the album and form your own opinion. The general rule is that if it says Erasure on the album cover, then "it does what it says on the tin". You'd expect (and in all cases find) pure pop magic at it's very best.

Light At The End Of The World
Light At The End Of The World
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars And they just keep getting better, 22 May 2007
Wow, what a follow up to Nightbird. Nightbird was absolutely brilliant (see my review) but this album possibly just seems that bit better.

Would definately agree with Stephen Moss's view that their song writing and music has improved over the past few years. Hope it continues to do so for the next 20 years!!

Sunday Girl is great album opener. something which is common with most Erasure albums, they all seem to follow a particular pattern. They start with a great opener and the mood/tempo rises and falls, then rises again before a sombre/mellow but somewhat uplifting final track. (saying that, the limited edition with 12 tracks has a more uptempo finish).

Lyrically, track 5 (Fly Away) is my fave from this album, but the whole album is pure brilliance!!!!

Something else all Erasure albums have in common is that it is so easy to listen to all their albums through headphones and lose yourself within the layers of synth magic and unmatched vocals.

I've said this before but it is a shame that Erasure do not reach higher chart positions. it could be radio has a part to play in this. Almost all radio stations these days insist on playing the repetitive crap that have no imagination. Andy Bell has the best vocals ever and Vince is just a pure genius! Surely a proven group like Erasure who have been around for over 20 years now should be gracing the airwaves over the likes of one hit wonders from TV reality show!!! (something I feel quite strongly about) It's about time Erasure were give a lifetime acheivement award on the likes of the Brits or something. Whilst I don't doubt they can sing, Shane Ward and Co can only dream of having true, honest talent like Andy and Vince.

Can't wait to see them live again in September this year!!!

Well done guys, long may you continue to bless us with such pop brilliance!!!

Page: 1 | 2