Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "...." (Dorset, England)

Twenty One
Twenty One

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this album, but..., 18 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Twenty One (Audio CD)
It REALLY annoys the faeces out of me when bands re-release ablums with a new song and a snazzier cover. When I compile my CD square, I like to see nice bright colours and prettiness in the covers, like this here version has, but my original one does not. I'm not saying I don't like the cover, it's just this one has really funky writing.

Also, the matter of the new song. It seems as if Mystery Jets have taken the "Two Doors Down" opportunity to lengthen their album and, dare I say it, sell more. Why could they have not just put the new song on the album in the first place? Adding it in now and re-releasing just makes fans who bought it when it came out originally feel like they are missing out.

If you didn't buy the first version of this album, I highly recommend that you buy this one, as it still contains all the fantastic eighties pop delights. Two Doors Down is the most obvious example, but Young Love and Half In Love with Elizabeth are equally catchy, and Flakes may just be my favourite Mystery Jets song ever (It's beautiful, though difficult to sing along to). Behing the Bunhouse is also excellent with all its rolling pin violence references, and on my version it has the "hidden track" at the end, after the obligatory pause. So yes, it seems that without Harrison Senior, Mystery Jets have moved from the remote corners of the indie world to the spotlight of popular attention, and rightly so as this effortlessly fun, Erol Alkan produced album proves they deserve it.

All I am saying is that they should not forget their original fans on the way.

We too would like a snazzy cover.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2008 3:06 PM BST

Rest Now Weary Head You Will Get Well Soon
Rest Now Weary Head You Will Get Well Soon
Offered by vinylexchange-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars In Alaska, there's no refridgerator needed..., 16 Jun. 2008
*A guarantee by the artist: "I tried my very best to make this music lovable"*

Konstantin Gropper, a twenty-five year old guy from Berlin, is my current hero, the reason being that he (as "Get Well Soon") has made what I consider to be the best album of 2008 so far, one that is probably now in my list of favourite albums ever.

You get all these really hyped "next big thing" albums which often fail to live up to expectations, but Get Well Soon, having (to my knowledge) hardly been hyped at all, has made a truly mesmerizing album, which not enough people know about. Hence this review - I'm here to "spread the word", as it were.

So yes... the album. It's, like, amazing. A world is created, seemingly devoid of happiness when you look at the surface, but as you delve deeper, light appears in every song. Hope, ultimately is the album's message. A bleak picture may be created, but "Rest Now Weay Head! You Will Get Well Soon" seems to also look forward and realise that that bleak picture is not all there is to the world.

On the music side of things, there are so many songs on the album that send a shiver down my spine. The first Get Well Soon song I heard (so is probably my favourite) is Ticktack! Goes My Automatic. It - for want as a better adjective - is lovely. It just makes me smile everytime I hear it, but at the same time brings my close to tears... It's one of the more "basic" songs on this album of home made orchestras, as is Help To Prevent Forest Fires which is another of my favourites: beautiful in its perfect simplicity. Another worthy mention is the remix of Underworld's Born Slippy Nuxx (you know - the song at the end of Trainspotting). Get Well Soon adds depth to the track, but also a kind of distance. Sadness is conveyed, a sadness seemingly due to lack of emotion (if that makes sense..). It's wonderful.

There is not a bad song on RNWH!YWGWS, but this does not mean it is to everyone's taste. I can see that these songs will not be played on day time radio one (but then, would you really want to be?) and they are sometimes, I suppose, what the general public may believe to be "weird" (for example, the chanted chorus of If This Hat Is Missing I have Gone Hunting: "Shoot, baby! Shoot! Baby, pull the trigger! Fire a bullet, an arrow or a poison dart") But that, my friends, is what makes this such and interesting and unique album; one that really stands out from the crowd.

And so... if you are considering buying this album you certainly will not be disappointed. Even if (And this is highly unlikely as the album is beautiful) you discover that you don't like the music, you will still find joy in the fantastic song titles ("I Sold My Hands For Food So Please Feed Me)and the excellent art work (by Konstantin Gropper himself), so all in all it is well worth it.

This music is most definitely lovable.