Profile for J. Dawson > Reviews

Content by J. Dawson

J. Dawson (Edinburgh, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pinzon Egyptian Cotton sateen fitted sheet, White, Double 135 x 190 x 38 cm
Pinzon Egyptian Cotton sateen fitted sheet, White, Double 135 x 190 x 38 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality basic item, 24 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My suspicions that my tastes aren't very refined is only strengthened by this sheet. Apparently the difference in weight, quality, finish etc should be immediately noticeable but all that really stood out to me is that it has a sateen finish (I actually prefer a normal weave) and the elastic goes right round it (so harder to fold). When I put it on the bed, I found it is very deep and in fact it is designed to cover a mattress and topper up to 18in thick, so great if you use memory foam or similar. Otherwise, there's not a huge amount I can say. I honestly don't notice that it feels much different from my other sheets and I don't tend to pay much attention to quality. It may wear better but that will take time and multiple launderings to judge properly. For me, it does the job but costs considerably more than what I would usually be willing to pay for one fitted double sheet, and I tend to opt for colours and patterns over plain white, but if you like the classics and are willing to pay a bit more for quality, then this should do the job nicely.

Beaphar Spray Away Plus, 400ml
Beaphar Spray Away Plus, 400ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective against cat pee!, 9 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My elderly cat has begun marking her territory in some distinctly inconvenient places. The problem is that once she has peed somewhere, there seems to be nothing that will effectively remove the smell. I've already had to throw out one suitcase and I have fabric that has been laundered several times but still retains a whiff of ammonia such that it had been rendered useless. Recently I discovered she had peed on a throw which I'd been intending to use on a chair in my new home. I tried laundering it but again, I could still smell cat urine. With perfect timing, Amazon and Beaphar came to my rescue! Now, this spray has a pretty heavy perfume itself which I could have done without, and I used it very generously...but the good news is, it seems to have done the trick! This issue has been a problem for some time and I've tried other products claiming to do the same thing, but nothing else has proven effective until now. My problem was odour rather than stains so I have yet to test that aspect, but based on what I've already used I would not hesitate to buy it again in future.

Philips SHL3100BK/10 Headband Headphones DJ Function Black
Philips SHL3100BK/10 Headband Headphones DJ Function Black
Offered by Red Mobile

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality makes up for bulk!, 9 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tend to listen to podcasts on bus journeys, so in the past I have always gone for earbud-type headphones but thought I would give these a try. They are obviously much bulkier so a bit more of a pain to carry around. I'd assumed from reading eh manufacturer's notes that the "swivel" function would make them easier to listen to with one ear, as when I was getting on the bus for example, but I didn't find this to be the case. They do swivel, but there's not really no halfway point between taking them on or off, nor are they any easier to extricate oneself from once they are on. As they cover the whole ear, I really notice the difference in warmth when I wear them - handy as the weather gets cooler and more functional than earmuffs or a hat too! What really counts of course is the sound quality and I must say I notice a big difference between these and my old ear buds. In fact, these are a sufficient improvement that I continue to use them despite the fact that they are less convenient due to their size. I'm not sure how much I should expect them to cancel any noise for people around me, I did test them at home with my flatmate and found that there is some noise audible when sitting next to me, but not really enough to be a concern. They may not function exactly as I expected, but I think the pros outweigh any cons and I plan to stick with them now.

SEVERIN SEVOF SM 3718 Jug Blender Brushed Stainless Steel, 1.5 Litre, 550 Watt, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Great performance but hard to clean, 5 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is quite a straightforward blender with no added bells and whistles, but it feels solid and robust and it seems to do a nice job. The jug is heavy glass and a very generous size. There are two speeds plus an added pulse setting. The black and chrome finish means it looks sleek and stylish enough to leave out on your worktop if you care about these things.

I used it to liquidise a batch of soup and it worked perfectly - the jug is generous enough that even though the soup wasn't fully cooled it was no problem and I was able to do it in two batches (had I been less cautious, I might well have got away with doing it all in a oner). And just a few seconds on the high setting produced a lovely smooth texture.

So far I have found two little flaws, one minor and one rather more annoying. The first is that the jug only seems to fit into the base at one point and fitting it in can be rather fiddly. Worse is that, as far as I could tell, the bottom of the jug which includes the blade does not actually unscrew for cleaning. Now it could be that my muscles weren't up to the job, but it did seem pretty firmly attached, and this might be a bit of a deal breaker for me, as without detaching the blades I suspect I will never feel certain that it's really clean. Very disappointing when the overall performance seems very good for the price.

Bose ® SoundTouch 20 Series II Wi-Fi Music System - Black
Bose ® SoundTouch 20 Series II Wi-Fi Music System - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars A very expensive way to listen to the radio, 28 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Up until recently, I lived with a flatmate who did a PhD in computer science, so for the last 20 years or so I've not really had to install my own tech. So setting up this Bose system was a test of my skills. I thought it was a test I mostly failed until I read the other reviews here and realise lots of people had similar problems.

To begin with, I was unable to install the SoundTouch app on my Chromebook. Can't see anyone else mentioning this so perhaps this really is my fault. In the end I used my iPad. Found the process fairly frustrating, but in the end I got the app installed and found I was able to play various radio stations on my new soundsystem. So far, so good. The sound quality seems good to me and programming the presets was easy enough.

Then I tried to play my own music, and that is where it all went wrong. As far as I can tell there is no ability to stream from my Amazon Cloud which is my default choice. I could see the option to add Spotify and that's a free service, so I made a bunch of playlists and got very excited about playing them - until I found that I was unable to do this unless I paid £9.99/month for a premium account. Similar deal with Deezer, although they offer a free trial. Then I decided to try and be clever and plug my iPad into the SoundTouch and just use the Bose system like speakers - but the cables included didn't work for that.

I have still found no way to play my own music through this device. So what I have ended up with is a very good quality radio - at an extremely high price, and which eats my bandwidth and interferes with the speed of my laptop on occasion. It's nice to have a decent radio in my basic little cottage, but there's no way I'd shell out this kind of money for what I was able to get out of it.

Finding Vivian Maier [DVD]
Finding Vivian Maier [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Maloof

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather ordinary documentary of an extraordinary talent, 28 Oct 2014
This review is from: Finding Vivian Maier [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I missed this film when it screened at the Edinburgh International Film Festival earlier this year, but was told by an industry person in a queue that, as an artist and arts educator with a particular interest in women artists, I needed to see this film (she was not affiliated with this film herself but had just come from the press screening). So I was thrilled to have a chance to see the DVD, but perhaps my expectations were a little high because I came away pretty unimpressed.

Vivian Maier's photographs are undeniably accomplished - magnetic, even. It's just a shame that more of the film does not focus on Maier's actual work. Yes, she was eccentric, presumably suffering from mental health issues which became more pronounced later in her life, but the "mystery" element feels forced here. Why, asks director John Maloof, did Maier take all these photos? Apparently he has not come across anyone else with an obsessive hobby! The possibility that she might simply enjoy photography, even without the formal validation of the art world, or that Maier's official career as a nanny could possibly be fulfilling, are ideas which are never really explored.

It doesn't help, either, that many of the participants in the film are actively unsympathetic. The fact that several people who knew Maier mention how uncomfortable she was with sharing information about herself, and yet still participate in the film, feels slightly voyeuristic. Again, one can only wish this film focused more on Maier's work and less on trying to create a narrative from a life that she strove to keep private. Maloof's narration is clumsy and in one telling segment, he comments that he wishes he could give the money he's making from Maier's work (after discovering some of her negatives in an auction and then acquiring the rest of her work) to her, but sadly it's too late. Perhaps this clip is included for the sake of disclosure, or to make Maloof seem sympathetic, but to me it simply drew attention to what he stands to gain by bringing her work to prominence.

It's an interesting film, and great to see Maier's work, just wish there was more of the latter and less of a sense that the directors were working to force the narrative into the shape they wanted.

Tacwise Z3 Stapler 4-in-1 Nailer Kit
Tacwise Z3 Stapler 4-in-1 Nailer Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy tool, would benefit from some instructions!, 26 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the interests of disclosure, I will start by saying I don't know much about DIY. I chose this item more because I thought it would be handy for craft use, and perhaps a few basic DIY jobs round the house. So it's entirely possible that there are things about this tool which would be obvious to an enthusiast but are lost on me, and therefore this review should be read with that in mind - if you have next to zero experience using tools like this, I am speaking to you!

The first thing I noticed was that there are no instructions included, just basic images on the side of the tool itself. I'm not really sure what that's about but I found it really off-putting. Yes, it is simple to use and yes, you could argue printed instructions would be a waste of paper - but the images on the tool are pretty small and would be clearer if a little more information was given, plus I ended up struggling quite a bit with the locking mechanism and if you're new to using a tool, you want to feel confident it's not going to suddenly fire when you don't expect it (it didn't). That was the main drawback for me, but it's a pretty big one for a DIY newbies as far as I'm concerned.

Now, the pluses. This is a 4-in-1 tool so comes with a generous supply of headless pins, nails, staples and cable staples. It feels substantial but still fairly lightweight and comfortable to use. I like that, once you've fired off a round of staples or whatever, you can engage the safety lock without firing off any additional "ammo". And the staple remover is a nice addition - although I found it didn't work very effectively with standard staples, but it was brilliant for removing cable staples. This also fired every single time and didn't require a huge amount of strength on my part - the one staple gun I've used in past seemed to fire more blanks than staples and I felt like I almost had to be leaning on it with my full weight to get it to work. This one seems much more effective with less effort.

The only issue I have with it in use - and this could be down to my lack of experience - was that I couldn't work out exactly where the nails fire from. Which is to say, if I wanted to fire a nail or pin into a precise location, I can't see any way to ensure I do so. I also don't know what the lever on the top that moves from + to - is for, but again, I expect that would be obvious to anyone with any experience, though it seems to me that tools could be more user friendly to those of us just learning.

So a couple of small niggles, but it seems like a useful tool to have around and to me it's good value for money as the included nails and staples will probably be all I ever need!

Philips LED Light Bulb (E27 Edison Screw 6W A60) - Warm White
Philips LED Light Bulb (E27 Edison Screw 6W A60) - Warm White

3.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, but good value IF it lives up to manufacturer's claims, 23 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First, a confession. I did not notice when I ordered this product that it was a screw base. Totally my mistake, and a silly one at that, but if I made it then chances are others will too. So be aware! If only I'd paid attention to the photo, which also gives an idea of the size of the base - broader rather than narrow diameter.

How does it work? Well, once I found a fixture that it fits in, very well. I love that it is similar to natural light - a big plus for someone like me who does a lot of crafts. Also nice that it switches on to full brightness immediately, unlike most other energy efficient bulbs. And I was also pleased to see the traditional light bulb shape, as some of the fluorescent energy efficient bulbs can look awkward in certain fixtures.

This bulb is fairly heavy which may be an issue depending on where you use it. And of course it is pretty expensive at 5.99 for a single unit. The manufacturer claims that, based on 3 hours of daily use, it can last up to 15 years. If that is really the case, then it seems worth the extra money, but only time will tell if that's really the case. In my experience bulbs rarely last as long as their manufacturer's claim and we've had some bad luck with energy-saving bulbs in the past not mixing with old fashioned wiring but I'll be thrilled if this one lives up to the claims!

For the moment I'd say try one if you're thinking of it and can afford it - and it will fit in your sockets!! But otherwise I'll be waiting for the price to come down and carry on using the older style fluorescent energy saving bulbs in the meantime.

Zyliss Digital Multi Timer
Zyliss Digital Multi Timer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great all-around piece of kit, 23 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This seems like a brilliant kit of kitchen kit and I am sure I'll put it to very good use. The only real complaint I have is that simultaneously holding the battery in place and closing the somewhat flimsy-feeling lid is a bit of a pain as the battery wants to just pop out. But otherwise, so far it all seems very good and well thought out.

I had a momentary struggle to set the clock, but that was really just because I was pressing and holding the "clock" button whilst I tried to set the time - you have to release the clock button once the display flashes. But as soon as I worked that one out, it was all smooth sailing. So here are some of the things I like about this timer
1. Great colour - pillarbox red
2. I now have an unobtrusive clock in my kitchen
3. It can be set in three different units of time - hours, minutes or seconds
4. It can be set up to 99 hours, 99 min and 99 sec ahead, which means it can also stand in as an alarm clock
5. I can hear the alarm all over my (admittedly small) cottage
6, It can be used as a stopwatch as well as timer (ie it counts up as well as down)
7. You can time up to four different things at once
8. There is a different alarm sound for each of the four settings
9. It clips on, sticks magnetically to metal, or has a built in stand so rang of options for how/where to place it.
10. The display is larger than most digital timers

So it's a very functional, multi-use object that has had a lot of thought put into its design, and also looks about as stylish as a timer can.

Webbox Cats Delight Lick-e-Lix Chicken, 15g, Pack of 10
Webbox Cats Delight Lick-e-Lix Chicken, 15g, Pack of 10
Offered by Equestrian Performance

1.0 out of 5 stars A resounding failure, 16 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The idea of meaty snacks with a yoghurt like texture sounds pretty revolting. Sadly, my cat seemed to find it about as appealing as I do. It had arrived on the same day she had to visit the vet, so I thought it would be a nice treat to make up for the trauma. I squidged the little tube into her bowl where it sat, looking indeed like a blob of, erm, chicken yoghurt. The cat rushed over, thrilled to see that she was being fed at this totally unexpected time. But as she circled her bowl, sniffing the Lick-e-Lix cautiously, her enthusiasm cooled. She looked at me in slight offense, apparently amazed that I would have the nerve to try and pass this slop off on her. I left the room for a moment and when she came back she was licking her chops and glaring at me with disdain. I can only assume she had risked a taste, though the blob still lay in her bowl with no sign of interference. And there is stayed until, an hour or so later when she had steadfastly refused to touch it, I decided to take the manufacturer's suggestion and sprinkle some of her dry food on it. Now, my cat is somewhat fussy but she is as greedy as they come and she will eat the things she likes in seemingly unlimited quantities. When sprinkled into Lick-e-Lix, she would not touch her favourite dry food. I ended up having to chuck the entire bowl out and wash up all remaining traces, and I'm not sure she has forgiven me yet. I will try to pass the remaining Lick-e-Lix on to some other cat who may be more impressed than mine was.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20