Profile for Lilac Hell > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Torch
Torch

3.0 out of 5 stars If you've read Wild, don't bother..., 23 Dec 2014
This review is from: Torch (Kindle Edition)
I could only see one other review of this and I'm afraid I have to mostly agree with it. If you've read Cheryl Strayed's Wild, which I have, there's not much new material here. And Wild was much more pacey and interesting. Sorry Cheryl! I did finish Torch and there's nothing wrong with it as a story, it's just we've been there before and last time it was "real".

I hope now that the author has this novel out of her system, she goes on to write something a bit more exciting and new. Or go back to the experiential travelogue stuff of Wild, because that was very cool and thoroughly enjoyable! :)

Dept. of Speculation
Dept. of Speculation

3.0 out of 5 stars It was good, 23 Dec 2014
I was enjoying this but it seemed to end rather abruptly without quite being resolved. I actually wondered if I'd read the whole thing. Kindle fail? It was good tho

How to be both
How to be both

3.0 out of 5 stars Stories OK, fails on Kindle - read the paper version!!!, 4 Dec 2014
This review is from: How to be both (Kindle Edition)
I quite enjoyed both parts of the story, or rather both short stories - one about a modern teenager who's recently lost her mother, the other about a 15th century female artist disguised as a male so she will be accepted. I also (thankfully) knew the book version came in two alternate editions, swapping which story was printed first. However, on Kindle, the whole book was just repeated, which was quite confusing and meant I came to the "end" halfway through without really realising. Plus, I wasn't really sure if the "second" versions of each story were perhaps subtly different and I should read them too? Frankly, I wasn't wowed enough by them the first time around to bother (I have just read other reviews on here that clarified it's exactly the same stories, printed twice on Kindle, so I did the right thing!)
I also struggled to understand the point/s the author is making - something about the place of women, mothers and daughters, art, youth and death but not exactly sure WHAT. Oh well... I would definitely recommend anyone who wants to read this to get a paper copy.

The Signature of All Things
The Signature of All Things

4.0 out of 5 stars Pray Love author. I am glad I didn't realise that ..., 8 Aug 2014
I was surprised to discover this book was written by the Eat, Pray Love author. I am glad I didn't realise that before I read it or I might not have, and I would have missed out! This is a great story of horticulture overlaid with the way culture affects people's lives - people's place in the world, their behaviour, what it all means. And then the simplicity (and fierce complexity) of nature and indeed the survival of the fittest. An excellent read.

American Wife
American Wife

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this novel, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: American Wife (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this novel, much more than I thought I would. It gives a fascinating insight into what it might be like to become First Lady, as well as just a good story about someone's life growing up in 20th century America. The politics of power versus the ties of love, marriage and family loyalty. A really interesting and believable portrayal of one woman's psychology.

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden
The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 8 Aug 2014
Didn't love this book. It had some interesting ideas but just didn't grab me. Sorry !

Lamaze Captain Calamari the Octopus Pirate
Lamaze Captain Calamari the Octopus Pirate

5.0 out of 5 stars My go-to gift for new parents, 1 April 2014
My kid loved this toy as a baby and I thought it was very cool too. It's now become my default present for new parents! Perfect for kids from birth onwards (although they won't start responding to it until 3 months or so). Love the Cap'n!

Penguin
Penguin
by Polly Dunbar

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, fantastic illustrations, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Penguin (Paperback)
Love this. My son has enjoyed Penguin from the age of about 6 months. Adults will like the story (not too inane, as many baby books can be) and the illustrations are lovely - same artist as the "Tilly & Friends" books (which is now a cartoon on CBeebies).

Gentle, lovely but with enough wit to be enjoyable to readers of all ages!

Sister
Sister

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but grim whodunnit, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Sister (Kindle Edition)
Wow, this is a rather bleak tale that really draws you in to the mysterious disappearance of a woman's sister in London in the 1980s, with its gritty bedsits, art students and protests against medical trials.
Told from the perspective of the searching sister, as you read, more is revealed about both the protagonist and her missing sister, twisting the knife as you uncover more clues and the tension builds.
I enjoyed the evocation of London in the 80s (an interesting parallel to Love, Nina). Some of the plot points you'll see coming a mile away, but others were a chilling surprise.

A Thread Unbroken
A Thread Unbroken

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting subject, suitable for tweens, 1 April 2014
This review is from: A Thread Unbroken (Kindle Edition)
This book was nice and a fairly easy read. The subject was interesting (people trafficking in modern China) and the characters were sweet. But all in all it was a bit toothless and not the most sparkling prose I've ever read.

An enjoyable, easy-enough read that would be very suitable for older kids / tweens but is perhaps lacks punch for older readers & adults.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3