Profile for D. Shadbolt > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
New DEKO Petrol Chainsaw 58cc With a 20" Bar Blade
New DEKO Petrol Chainsaw 58cc With a 20" Bar Blade

4.0 out of 5 stars A revised review..., 2 April 2013
Am revising an earlier bad review I made of this item - could not get it working on Day 1, so decided to leave it overnight to let things 'soak through' - when I tried it the following day it started to show signs of life, with a few puffs of smoke, and a few attempts later it burst into life. Since then it's started first time every time (as long as I remember to get the the choke setting right and didn't leave the kill switch in the 'off' position by mistake!) - some of the bits are a little on the flimsy side (the chain tensioning screw, the throttle lock button (now fallen out) and the kill switch come to mind)and the instructions are a bit vague (I suggest that you do not follow the recommended starting procedure, which involves locking the throttle on beforehand!!!) but overall I would have to agree with other reviewers and confirm that it's good value for money.

HP Compaq dc7100 SFF Desktop PC, Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHz, 1024MB Memory, 500GB Hard Drive, DVD-Rom, Genuine Windows XP Professional SP3 pre-installed

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job..., 19 Feb 2012
Was looking for a small for format PC to slot into our TV cabinet in place of our now redundant video recorder, to allow us to access the internet via our TV - slight downer when the first unit turned up and refused to boot up, however the seller was very helpful and quickly dispatched one of their staff members over to me with a replacement unit, which worked fine and has continued to do so over the intervening six months or so - overall we are very happy with both the unit and the service provided by the seller.

TP-Link TL-WA701ND 150 Mbps Wireless N Access Point - Version 2.0
TP-Link TL-WA701ND 150 Mbps Wireless N Access Point - Version 2.0
Offered by elevenfirst

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 19 Feb 2012
Bought this item to create a wireless extension to our 85mbs powerline network. Judging by the comments left by some of the reviewers I thought that it was going to be a complicated process, but nothing could have been further from the truth - connected it to a powerline adapter with the supplied ethernet cable and to the mains via the supplied adaptor, switched it on and, hey-presto, we could get straight on to the wireless network it had created, with no changing of IP addresses or anything - nothing could be simpler - at the price I can't see how you could do better!

Garmin Forerunner 205 Wrist Worn GPS Personal Training Device
Garmin Forerunner 205 Wrist Worn GPS Personal Training Device

1.0 out of 5 stars A nice idea, poorly executed..., 22 Oct 2011
Bought this with high expectations, having owned Garmin kit before and been happy with its performance - initially it worked ok, but after a week or so it began to cut out for no reason, despite the battery being fully charged - returned it for a refund - very dissappointing...

Solitaire Chess Game
Solitaire Chess Game
Offered by Premier Life Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Simplicity, 12 July 2011
This review is from: Solitaire Chess Game (Toy)
I bought this before going on a family holiday to the outer Hebrides, where the weather meant that most of our evenings were spent indoors - we had a bunch of teenagers in the group who, it turned out, became totally absorbed with it night after night. The concept is so simple that anyone with an inkling of how to play chess can pick it up in moments, and being a 'cut down' version of the game, the solutions can take only a few moments to solve (or not, as they get harder...!) which means that it can be really engaging - I found that members of the group who were not frequent chess players did surprisingly well, coming up with solutions when the rest of us were scratching our heads, which really gave an inclusive feel to the whole thing. Although some of the solution cards did get a little battered by the end of the holiday (might have been better if they had been printed on plastic card), the build quality overall is adequate and quite clever in the way that all the pieces and the cards fit into the box. Overall I rate this game very highly and reckon its inventors should get a medal for coming up with something so brilliantly simple - go buy it!

Bosch Isio Cordless Li-Ion Edging Shear
Bosch Isio Cordless Li-Ion Edging Shear

5.0 out of 5 stars You can have my Isio back..., 12 July 2011
... if you can prise it from my dead fingers! I have a lawn which is bordered by white walls - strimming the edges leaves a green smear all along them, and doesn't make for a very precise cut, so I'd been reduced to doing the job with scissors which took at least half an hour and frankly was a pain. Having bought the Isio this job now takes 5 to 10 minutes and is actually fun - like a previous reviewer, I'm actually looking for things to clip now (even the cat's sweating a little!). The build quality feels good, as only the Germans / Swiss can seem to manage, although I guess only time will tell re. the battery life - initial feelings are very positive though. Ordered through Amazon who delivered it very promptly.

JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar
JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar
Offered by Factor First

4.0 out of 5 stars The concept is great but..., 29 Jan 2011
Bought this piece of kit while actually looking for push-up stands, on finding out that you get 'four in one' with this, with both chin-ups and press-ups (and sit-ups and dips, for the record) - mine seems pretty well put together, unlike that of another reviewer. However - one point to note: it's made for a doorframe where the horizontal distance between the wall surface above the door on the other side of the door and the front face of the moulding on the side you're exercising on is approximately 150mm - much more and the curved bars don't have the reach to get 'round the doorframe - the doorway I was going to use it on has a dimension of 215mm and the bar won't fit! Anyway, other than that it seems like quite a good piece of kit (paid twice as much for it in Nigeria than Amazon are asking for it!) - just measure up your doorframe first!

Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere v2 Black Dock for iPod and iPhone (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by elevenfirst

2.0 out of 5 stars A nice idea poorly executed..., 17 Jan 2011
I found this item a very frustrating piece of kit - it's so close to being perfect, but the one flaw it has is so irritating that I have to give it only two stars.

Good Points: Design, Build Quality, Portability, Sound Quality

Bad Point: There are too many albums on my iPod (around a quarter of them) which it can't play without cutting out part way through, sometimes many times on one album. I've tried re-ripping the albums in different file formats and at different rip rates but the result is still the same. Judging by other reviews, I am not alone in experiencing this, which happens to me with all kinds of music, not only classical, as another reviewer commented.

It really is a shame, because there is so much about this unit to like (the in-built battery, for instance, is great for me in Nigeria, smoothing out the continual power cuts!), it's just that what is wrong with it is so fundamental that it lets the rest of it down - shame.

Acer N30 Bluetooth Pocket PC
Acer N30 Bluetooth Pocket PC

1.0 out of 5 stars Deeply Unimpressed..., 7 Aug 2010
As a fan of Acer products, I bought this PDA with high hopes, particularly with the positive reviews it had been given - however, on plugging it in the only light that came on was the bluetooth indicator, which briefly flashed and then went out, with no other lights coming on to indicate that the battery was charging. Sure enough, having left it overnight to charge it and then set the thing up, as soon as it was unplugged from the charging lead it just died, and could only be revived by replugging the charging lead and going back through the setting up procedure all over again - this happened with either the (rather unwieldy) Acer-supplied charging lead or the charging cradle that I bought for it. If I had not brought it back overseas with me before trying it (doh!), having picked it up in the UK, I would have sent it straight back for a refund - as it is, I'm now in the process of going through the motions with Acer's customer support people to try to get it working - all in all, very disappointing.

Horticultural Grade Medium Vermiculite 100 Litre Bag
Horticultural Grade Medium Vermiculite 100 Litre Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the business for 'Mel's Mix', 4 Aug 2010
Having read Mel Bartholomew's great book on Square Foot Gardening, the next step was to get hold of some vermiculite to add to his recommended mix, and Amazon Marketplace proved to be the only available source, having been let down by the landscape gardeners who were re-modelling our place - the service we received from Holland Hydroponics was great and having seen the bumper crops that have come out of our Square Foot Garden, I can personally attest to: a) Mel's approach to intensive gardening and b) the importance of Vermiculite for its soil lightening / water retention capabilities.

Page: 1 | 2