Profile for Sparrowhawk > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Imitation Game
The Imitation Game
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody should be made aware of Alan's Turing's incredible story, 4 April 2015
An excellent film, thoroughly recommended. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Alan Turing superbly. I was, of course, aware of the story but not the detail which I feel everyone should be made aware of. Turing was a true hero and a genius that should have been feted and not punished as he was. We all owe him a great deal of gratitude.

Paddington
Paddington
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable, feel-good film with a lot of laughs and a serious underlying message., 28 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Paddington (Amazon Instant Video)
My husband and I rented this on our Amazon Fire TV and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cast were magnificent and Paddington is adorable and so well animated! There are lots of laugh out loud moments but also a serious underlying message that we should accept and welcome others even if they aren't of the same 'species'. I highly recommend this for 'children of all ages' - we're in our 50s and 60s!

The Hundred Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've read the book, you really won't be disappointed., 1 Mar. 2015
My husband and I had both read and thoroughly enjoyed the book, in fact it's one of my favourites. I was therefore in two minds as to whether to watch the film or not as adaptations can sometimes be very disappointing. Well this one wasn't! Robert Gustafsson is excellent in the role of Alan Karlsson in fact the whole cast is great and we could immediately identify who was who. It appears that some reviewers were put off by the sub-titles but I think they worked really well, especially since there are several different languages involved. Some of the storylines from the book were missed but this is completely understandable as there is just too much content to include in one film. What was included was very true to the book and included a lot of laugh out loud moments. I understand that the author was involved in the screenplay which may explain why it worked so well. I would highly recommend this film whether you've read the book or not but if you have, you won't be disappointed.

What We Did On Our Holiday
What We Did On Our Holiday

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely feel good film that everyone can enjoy, 7 Feb. 2015
A thoroughly enjoyable and moving film. My husband and I both laughed out loud several times and at one point I did shed a tear or two. My late father would have loved a similar funeral. The casting and writing were impeccable and the scenery and cinematography gorgeous. A feel good film that we thoroughly enjoyed. Highly recommended to everybody.

The Story Of Us
The Story Of Us

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely romance with a very clever twist at the end., 22 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Story Of Us (Kindle Edition)
A lovely, easy-read romance. Now I've finished it I realise that there were a few historical inaccuracies but they didn't spoil the storyline. Such an unexpected twist at the end that I had to re-read the last chapter to fully comprehend it. Recommended.

Love...From Both Sides
Love...From Both Sides

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Nov. 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed Nick Spalding's book 'Fat Chance' which did make me really laugh so I was looking forward to reading another of his books, especially as it has some great reviews. I'm sorry but I was disappointed. More lad-lit than chick-lit and as such it didn't appeal. I did read the whole thing and some of it was quite amusing but I wouldn't say laugh out loud.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly delightful, funny, and thoroughly entertaining book which I can't recommend highly enough., 26 Oct. 2014
In fact, I can honestly say it is one of the best books I've ever read and I've read a few. To the extent that I now know what I'll be buying my friends and family for Christmas.

The main character, Allan Karlsson, is a lovable and humble Forrest Gump type who it turns out has stumbled across and directly affected a lot of the historical events of the 20th century in his own inimitable way which is gradually learned by the book jumping from the current day back to his adventures back in previous years of his life.

His 'what will be, will be' philosophy extends throughout his life and on to the day when he climbs out of the window of his old peoples' home on his one hundredth birthday with hilarious but strangely credible results.

The beautifully way it is written and translated would appeal to anyone of any political party, religion, culture, age or gender. He is a character that I would love to meet, along with his new-found friends (two-legged and four-legged).

It made me laugh, think and smile whilst I was reading. It made me sad when I'd finished it but only because I'd finished it yet I'm still laughing, thinking and smiling and I won't forget it.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best thrillers I've ever read and I'm amazed that it is a debut novel., 23 Oct. 2014
Well done S J Watson! The book is gripping from start to end and what Christine goes through is unimaginable. It is beautifully written and I didn't find it repetitive at all as some other reviewers did. Instead I think there were cleverly-placed reminders that Christine had again woken up not knowing where she was or who she was in bed with. The ending was a masterstroke and I certainly didn't predict it. I also didn't know that it had been made into a film which I look forward to seeing. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Daughter
Daughter

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping and powerful domestic thriller, 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Daughter (Kindle Edition)
I found this a gripping read, very well written and a real page-turner. The story is written from a distraught mother's perspective after her teenage daughter disappears after performing in a school play. You really do feel for the mother but I got a little exasperated with the number of times the main character's exhaustion was described. Of course they are all completely emotionally and physically drained but we don't need reminding quite so much. The ending was brilliant and completely unexpected but I think the book could have been greatly improved by including input from other characters such as Naomi, Theo and Ed to help explain the reasons for their behaviour.

All in all a good book which I will recommend and am highly impressed to find that this is a debut novel.

The Devil Came To Abbeville
The Devil Came To Abbeville

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping, horrifying and intense read that all murder mystery lovers will thoroughly enjoy and think about for days after....., 14 Oct. 2014
This is a truly gripping story from start to finish. I genuinely couldn't put it down and read it over a weekend.. The research that has gone into it is obviously thorough and sometimes gruesome when it comes to postmortems. There is sex and violence which the author has warned about but the whole book is beautifully written and nothing detracts from from the clever story-line and actually helps to reveal the characters in more detail. I do love a murder mystery and this is one of the best I've read and with all of its twists and turns it does keep you guessing until the very end then leaves you with a few unanswered questions which keep you thinking for days after the book is finished. Always a good sign. I would have given it 5 stars but I am a stickler for grammar which let it down a bit but didn't put me off continuing to read. I'm greatly looking forward to the sequel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4