Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Lie
The Lie
by C.L. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page-turning psycholgical thriller!, 28 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Lie (Paperback)
I found this book absolutely gripping and read it in two sittings. It is really well-written and keeps you guessing to the very end. I won't give anything away but the plot is really clever and surprisingly and spine-chillingly believable.

Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing
by Emma Healey

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. An insightful look at dementia with a thrilling twist., 21 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Elizabeth is Missing (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Not only is it a great thriller but what I appreciated most was the insight into how an elderly mind deals with dementia. We obviously don't know if it is entirely accurate but having dealt with my elderly father for 3-4 years who suffered from this horrible disease, I can really now see how his behaviour could be explained. Anybody out there with family members similarly suffering really should read 'Contented Dementia' by Oliver James. I have no links with the author nor book but it helped our family and carers tremendously and daughter Helen in the book should have read it....

'Elizabeth is Missing' was recommended by a friend and I deliberately didn't read any reviews before I had read it myself. Now I've finished the book I'm really surprised to see that the author is so young and it's a first novel but not surprised to see that so many publishing houses were interested. Beautifully written, clever plot and a book that I will certainly recommend to others. Thank you Emma.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read but...., 2 Jun. 2015
I bought the Kindle version of this book on a rainy Sunday needing some distraction. I can honestly say that once I'd got into the rhythm of the different narratives, I couldn't put it down. According to my Kindle I'd read 84% of it before I had to and couldn't wait to pick it up again after work the next day. In between times I was cogitating about the lives and possible motives of the different characters and trying to figure out whodunnit. I'm sorry to say that I found the following 16% a bit disappointing.....

The Imitation Game
The Imitation Game
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody should be made aware of Alan's Turing's incredible story, 4 April 2015
An excellent film, thoroughly recommended. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Alan Turing superbly. I was, of course, aware of the story but not the detail which I feel everyone should be made aware of. Turing was a true hero and a genius that should have been feted and not punished as he was. We all owe him a great deal of gratitude.

Paddington
Paddington
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable, feel-good film with a lot of laughs and a serious underlying message., 28 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Paddington (Amazon Instant Video)
My husband and I rented this on our Amazon Fire TV and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cast were magnificent and Paddington is adorable and so well animated! There are lots of laugh out loud moments but also a serious underlying message that we should accept and welcome others even if they aren't of the same 'species'. I highly recommend this for 'children of all ages' - we're in our 50s and 60s!

The Hundred Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've read the book, you really won't be disappointed., 1 Mar. 2015
My husband and I had both read and thoroughly enjoyed the book, in fact it's one of my favourites. I was therefore in two minds as to whether to watch the film or not as adaptations can sometimes be very disappointing. Well this one wasn't! Robert Gustafsson is excellent in the role of Alan Karlsson in fact the whole cast is great and we could immediately identify who was who. It appears that some reviewers were put off by the sub-titles but I think they worked really well, especially since there are several different languages involved. Some of the storylines from the book were missed but this is completely understandable as there is just too much content to include in one film. What was included was very true to the book and included a lot of laugh out loud moments. I understand that the author was involved in the screenplay which may explain why it worked so well. I would highly recommend this film whether you've read the book or not but if you have, you won't be disappointed.

What We Did On Our Holiday
What We Did On Our Holiday

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely feel good film that everyone can enjoy, 7 Feb. 2015
A thoroughly enjoyable and moving film. My husband and I both laughed out loud several times and at one point I did shed a tear or two. My late father would have loved a similar funeral. The casting and writing were impeccable and the scenery and cinematography gorgeous. A feel good film that we thoroughly enjoyed. Highly recommended to everybody.

The Story Of Us
The Story Of Us

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely romance with a very clever twist at the end., 22 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Story Of Us (Kindle Edition)
A lovely, easy-read romance. Now I've finished it I realise that there were a few historical inaccuracies but they didn't spoil the storyline. Such an unexpected twist at the end that I had to re-read the last chapter to fully comprehend it. Recommended.

Love...From Both Sides
Love...From Both Sides

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Nov. 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed Nick Spalding's book 'Fat Chance' which did make me really laugh so I was looking forward to reading another of his books, especially as it has some great reviews. I'm sorry but I was disappointed. More lad-lit than chick-lit and as such it didn't appeal. I did read the whole thing and some of it was quite amusing but I wouldn't say laugh out loud.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly delightful, funny, and thoroughly entertaining book which I can't recommend highly enough., 26 Oct. 2014
In fact, I can honestly say it is one of the best books I've ever read and I've read a few. To the extent that I now know what I'll be buying my friends and family for Christmas.

The main character, Allan Karlsson, is a lovable and humble Forrest Gump type who it turns out has stumbled across and directly affected a lot of the historical events of the 20th century in his own inimitable way which is gradually learned by the book jumping from the current day back to his adventures back in previous years of his life.

His 'what will be, will be' philosophy extends throughout his life and on to the day when he climbs out of the window of his old peoples' home on his one hundredth birthday with hilarious but strangely credible results.

The beautifully way it is written and translated would appeal to anyone of any political party, religion, culture, age or gender. He is a character that I would love to meet, along with his new-found friends (two-legged and four-legged).

It made me laugh, think and smile whilst I was reading. It made me sad when I'd finished it but only because I'd finished it yet I'm still laughing, thinking and smiling and I won't forget it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4