Profile for Sparrowhawk > Reviews

Sparrowhawk (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly delightful, funny, and thoroughly entertaining book which I can't recommend highly enough., 26 Oct 2014
In fact, I can honestly say it is one of the best books I've ever read and I've read a few. To the extent that I now know what I'll be buying my friends and family for Christmas.

The main character, Allan Karlsson, is a lovable and humble Forrest Gump type who it turns out has stumbled across and directly affected a lot of the historical events of the 20th century in his own inimitable way which is gradually learned by the book jumping from the current day back to his adventures back in previous years of his life.

His 'what will be, will be' philosophy extends throughout his life and on to the day when he climbs out of the window of his old peoples' home on his one hundredth birthday with hilarious but strangely credible results.

The beautifully way it is written and translated would appeal to anyone of any political party, religion, culture, age or gender. He is a character that I would love to meet, along with his new-found friends (two-legged and four-legged).

It made me laugh, think and smile whilst I was reading. It made me sad when I'd finished it but only because I'd finished it yet I'm still laughing, thinking and smiling and I won't forget it.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best thrillers I've ever read and I'm amazed that it is a debut novel., 23 Oct 2014
Well done S J Watson! The book is gripping from start to end and what Christine goes through is unimaginable. It is beautifully written and I didn't find it repetitive at all as some other reviewers did. Instead I think there were cleverly-placed reminders that Christine had again woken up not knowing where she was or who she was in bed with. The ending was a masterstroke and I certainly didn't predict it. I also didn't know that it had been made into a film which I look forward to seeing. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Daughter
Daughter

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping and powerful domestic thriller, 19 Oct 2014
This review is from: Daughter (Kindle Edition)
I found this a gripping read, very well written and a real page-turner. The story is written from a distraught mother's perspective after her teenage daughter disappears after performing in a school play. You really do feel for the mother but I got a little exasperated with the number of times the main character's exhaustion was described. Of course they are all completely emotionally and physically drained but we don't need reminding quite so much. The ending was brilliant and completely unexpected but I think the book could have been greatly improved by including input from other characters such as Naomi, Theo and Ed to help explain the reasons for their behaviour.

All in all a good book which I will recommend and am highly impressed to find that this is a debut novel.

The Devil Came To Abbeville
The Devil Came To Abbeville

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping, horrifying and intense read that all murder mystery lovers will thoroughly enjoy and think about for days after....., 14 Oct 2014
This is a truly gripping story from start to finish. I genuinely couldn't put it down and read it over a weekend.. The research that has gone into it is obviously thorough and sometimes gruesome when it comes to postmortems. There is sex and violence which the author has warned about but the whole book is beautifully written and nothing detracts from from the clever story-line and actually helps to reveal the characters in more detail. I do love a murder mystery and this is one of the best I've read and with all of its twists and turns it does keep you guessing until the very end then leaves you with a few unanswered questions which keep you thinking for days after the book is finished. Always a good sign. I would have given it 5 stars but I am a stickler for grammar which let it down a bit but didn't put me off continuing to read. I'm greatly looking forward to the sequel.

Fat Chance
Fat Chance

5.0 out of 5 stars A heartwarming and very funny story of 'people like us' taking a monumental challenge. Highly recommended!, 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: Fat Chance (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book by Nick Spalding that I've read but will certainly be reading more. He has taken a serious subject and turned it into a very funny and yet touching story that grips you from the beginning. You can't help but fall in love with the main characters Greg and Zoe and feel for them as they go through the agony and ecstasy of losing weight. More through luck than judgement am I an average size but rarely say the word 'exercise' let alone do it! Greg's experience with the personal trainer therefore left me reeling. There were many laugh out loud moments for me, the best being Zoe's brilliant description of her Ikea visit and what Greg and Zoe did with a prize that they'd won during the competition. I do hope that there is a sequel and soon please Nick.

The Rosie Effect: Don Tillman 2
The Rosie Effect: Don Tillman 2

5.0 out of 5 stars As hugely entertaining as The Rosie Project. A must read., 29 Sep 2014
I adored The Rosie Project and so pre-ordered The Rosie Effect as soon as it was available. I'm so glad I did. I read it in two sittings and thoroughly enjoyed it. Don is so lovable in his naivety, there isn't a malicious bone in his body but he does tend to be misunderstood with generally, hilarious results. Rosie herself was a bit miserable though but probably due to hormones. However, this didn't detract from the book itself which is hugely entertaining. I agree that you do need to read The Rosie Project first so that you can get your head around Don's quirky was of thinking but you'll be delighted that you did. More please but with Rosie a little more cheerful.

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

4.0 out of 5 stars A very clever and entertaining read, 21 Sep 2014
This is a beautifully written book about what you think is normal family life. I loved the order in which the story is told starting in the middle then going back to the beginning and having the end dotted in here and there. It is both charming and thought-provoking with a very cunning and unexpected twist about a third of the way through. I loved all of the characters involved and due to the excellent quality of writing, could picture all of them and felt I knew them. It also has a lot of humour and is written with such authority that I truly believed it to be an autobiography. Four stars for pure entertainment but I finished it (crying) without really knowing what the objective was.

Alan Titchmarsh 4Kg Robin Seed/ Mealworm Mix
Alan Titchmarsh 4Kg Robin Seed/ Mealworm Mix

4.0 out of 5 stars Our Garden Birds Love This Food!, 16 Aug 2014
Our garden birds just can't get enough of this bird food! We're have to top up the feeders on a daily basis! As well as robins, sparrows and blackbirds we have a pair of collared doves who just can't keep away. I would have given it 5 stars if it came in bigger quantities.

Pebbles on a Beach
Pebbles on a Beach

2.0 out of 5 stars What A Shame, 16 Aug 2014
Having thoroughly enjoyed 'The Haunting of Harriet' I was looking forward to reading this book. I had to give up though as there are far too many spelling and grammatical errors which is a shame.

Little Lies
Little Lies

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent, Complex and Gripping Read, 16 Aug 2014
This review is from: Little Lies (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book having thoroughly enjoyed 'The Husband's Secret'. I'm so glad I did! It is a thoroughly gripping story, very cleverly written and keeps you guessing to the very end. The characters are all very different and yet believable to the point that I felt I personally knew them all. I was sad to finish the book but couldn't put it down. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3