Profile for HollowSpy > Reviews

Content by HollowSpy

HollowSpy "thehollowspy" (Somewhere in the UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Velbon Ultra MAXi Mini
Velbon Ultra MAXi Mini

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, 18 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Velbon Ultra MAXi Mini (Accessory)
I have started to do some shots that require a steady hold, and being mostly table top based, the use of a standard sized tripod was a pain the derrière. I bought one of those gorilla tripods, the SLR one. Two word review for you.....DON'T BOTHER. What a waste. With my D7000 and just a 50mm prime it would constantly move and droop unless it was dead level - not what I required at all, good for nothing.

After a bit of research I went for this, and I am so glad I did. It was over double what I paid for the Gorilla, but I would happily pay more as it's a great bit of kit.

Construction: chunky, sturdy - feels quality. Although the twist-to-lock/unlock legs do concern me a little with regards to longevity, the main element that really stands out is the head (the Velbon QHD-51Q); a very nice and well manufactured part. The ball&socket design requires just one lock to put it into any position and it is all metal, so a reduced fear of damaging from over twisting that comes with cheaper models. The release is quick, and contains a very nice clicky clip that holds the bracket open until you next drop the camera in - I like that a lot. The shoe itself is very small, so much so I keep it on my camera all the time now so it's always there. Don't even notice it.

Legs: these extend very well from about 10cm to just over 18cm. A quick release button on the top of each allows the legs to splay out further, great for stability. Pushing the legs back into the upright position releases this button and secures them back. There is also an intermediate position too. A simple twist lock allows the central shaft to be raised (needed when splayed. The minimum height with the legs splayed and shaft lowered it about 20cm, the highest about 35cm (reasonably stable too like this if the legs are orientated according to the tilt of the camera). The feet are made of thick rubber and grip well.

Carrying: it is heavy for its size, but this is part and parcel of the good construction. It fits into a small bag of its own and with a cylindrical footprint of about 25cm x 8cm x 8cm.

Getting it set up takes seconds - perfect. An ideal piece of kit when stability is needed for those creative or table-top shots..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2013 9:16 AM BST

Logitech Mini Wireless Boombox - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Logitech Mini Wireless Boombox - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Packs a punch, 3 Jan. 2012
This arrived this morning, and I am mightily impressed with the sound this little beauty chicks out. It is tiny, much smaller than I expected (mini boombox - exactly!), but it has a bit of weight to it. I must say that the promotional video where it shakes the items on the table is not far off, if you hold it when playing loud you'll feel those good vibrations!

Love the touch sensitive controls, it paired instantly with my iPod Touch 4gen and iPad2.

A bit pricey for a small speaker - yes. Worth it for the lack of wires - yep. Very portable indeed and an internal rechargeable battery via USB is very useful indeed. Can't comment on the battery life yet, will assume it does what it says on the tin and will edit later if not.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 2:45 PM GMT

Griffin GB02480 Survivor Military Duty Case with Stand for New iPad & iPad 2 - Black
Offered by Modern-Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars I feel comfortable now, 23 Aug. 2011
Been using this for about three weeks now, a breakdown on my thoughts in this time...

Build quality: it comes as a two piece item. An internal plastic cage with a clear screen protector holds the iPad, and a thick rubber shell fits very snuggly around this. It has been designed to fit together very well. I do take the claims on water, sand and wind with a pinch of salt, but I would say that I am a lot less worried about damaging it now.

Access to buttons: there are flaps to the various sockets and these are easy enough to open. I am not 100% sure on the one for the mic at the top, as it seems a little flimsy compared to the others. However, the buttons for volume, sleep and menu have been engineered very well indeed. In fact, altering the volume is much easier than without the case on. The front camera is permanently available, and the rear one has a flap you need to hold back if you want to take a shot (but as the weakest feature of the iPad, it's only good for videos). One big drawback for me is that although you can get the standard dock connector on fine, you cannot get the camera connector kit on without dismantling the whole thing. A right royal pain as I use this quite regularly.

Look and feel: ok, so you can get rid of the "look at my ipad2, isn't it slim and light" attitude with this. However, you can replace it with a "look this bad beast" smugness. It looks secure, it looks safe, and, in my opinion, it looks kind of cool in a rugged way. The rubber feels great and grippy, it's textured well with a soft, tactile surface.

Screen protector: I like the idea of a screen protector, but it was a bit `squeaky' when using the device, and it seemed to offer some resistance. I had read on one review that it could scratch easily. Looking at the material I could well believe that. My laughable solution? I cut down a regular screen protector and put this on top! So now I have a screen protector, the case's screen protector and another screen protector. Is my mild autism showing now?

Stand: it also comes with a clip on stand that attaches to the sides when in portrait mode (and so top/bottom) in landscape. A useful extra. It's not the most well-engineered piece of plastic I have ever seen, but it does what is needed and grips very well. It gives a good angle for typing as well as a more vertical one for resting/viewing on a desk or similar flat surface.

Price: it is in the range of what seem higher-quality cases. I treat this as part damage insurance, so don't mind the extra premium if it saves the device from destruction.

Summary: as a protective case, this does exactly what is needed. It has combined sturdiness with a terrific design. I feel that I can put this down anywhere, in any bag and even out and about in dodgy weather. I am less worried now.

For a mobile device, protection is what I wanted. 9/10 (1 off for the camera connector issue)
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2014 7:12 PM BST

LuvTab 'Genius' Apple iPad 2, 3 & 4 (3rd & 4th Generation - iPad with Retina display) Multi Angle Wallet / Cover / Stand / Typing Case with Sleep / Wake Function - BLACK
Offered by Laptop Kit UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product for the price, 28 April 2011
After forking out for an iPad I did worry about some of the prices for the cases on offer. Although the colourful apple covers look great, they don't protect the back, why not?largely pointless..
This product had good reviews so I went for it, and already I can see why. Very snug fit, securly held in place, nice looking, and it has the magnets in the right place to power save the device when you close it. Nice, nice, nice.

Best of all, the price!!!! Excellent value for money in a market where people are getting ripped-off left, right and centre.

You will not regret buying this and, dare I say it, be even more smug that you already are with the iPad purchase alone ;-)

Manchester United F.C. Easter Egg
Manchester United F.C. Easter Egg

3.0 out of 5 stars Last minute purchase, 22 April 2011
This review is from: Manchester United F.C. Easter Egg
This is a VERY popular Easter Egg, although mostly outside London rather than in Manchester itself.

It is a little more expensive than most other eggs, but this is due to the unbelievably high wages they pay the makers. In fact, this constant policy of rewarding people for merely shaping chocolate eggs is having a detrimental effect on the whole industry, especially those less well-known manufacturers. Young British egg makers are hardly given the chance to develop at the top level, mainly due to talented chocolatiers arriving from overseas. This is made worse by the fact that the English egg-makers that do make it through are hardly role-models with their foul language and tendency to take out super-injunctions to cover up their misdemeanours.

The one redeeming feature is that if you need an egg at the last minute, the shop keepers will keep their stores open for a good 5 minutes or more for no apparent reason, just to give you the chance to get one. They don't seem to do this for other eggs, but maybe that's a coincidence.

It has had positive reviews on TV, but the managing director has refused to comment to the BBC directly.

Overall, it's just an egg. Well marketed, that's all.

Celtic Spirit Board (Ouija)
Celtic Spirit Board (Ouija)

2.0 out of 5 stars Wait for the Celtic Spirit Board 2, 15 April 2011
This review is from: Celtic Spirit Board (Ouija)
So yes, we all know that this took the world by storm when released, but you really have to wait for the new Celtic Spirit Board 2 that is coming out.... check out the newer features:

+ Not only is it thinner and lighter (great for when wanting to ensure you can contact the dead on your travels), but any objects placed on it will be able to move around on their own for 10 hours (estimate).

+ It also sports a camera allowing you to show the guides what you look like (but they may not be nice about you!).

+ It will download updated guides behind the scenes, and is much better at multi-ghosting, allowing the user to swap between afterlife buddies quickly and seamlessly.

+ If worried about protecting your communication tool, a range of covers with intricate Celtic designs that grip the board by magnets are available (although the leather version will show signs of wear after the odd festival or two).

- Anyway - this version only comes in one font and CelticOldeWorlde is so last year.

As every major player is bringing out their own version in the Ouija style, you have to ask yourself if you want to be left behind or be up-to-date? Wait until the Celtic Spirit Board 2 and then the dead will tell you themselves that you have made the right choice.

@hollowspy

Logitech Speaker S125i - Portable dock For iPod
Logitech Speaker S125i - Portable dock For iPod

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 28 Dec. 2010
Beautiful, perfect, crisp sound.....er, no. For this price, you are not going to get that are you?

However, you do get a great little set of speakers that do what is needed. This was bought to dock an iPod in the kitchen to listen to whilst cooking, and it does the job perfectly.

It has buttons to turn it on/off and to turn the volum up/down. I didn't need anything else. The BASS button does add some bass, but is a token addition.

If you are looking for great sound then spend some more money, you get what you pay for. If you need a dock that provides a decent volume to listen when on task with something then get this product. Being small and light, the option to run off batteries if travelling is great too.

No problems after 3 months of heavy use.

Canon PowerShot A495 Digital Camera - Silver (10MP, 3.3x Optical Zoom) 2.5 Inch TFT Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Bargain Bargain, 28 Dec. 2010
As someone who is getting into photography, there are a few occasions where I want to snap pictures, mainly of the kids, but do not want the hassle of an SLR bag and three lenses, etc, etc. So I needed a compact that delivers good pictures to satisfy my improving eye, but not at a great price. After a lot of research online, this beauty scored highly on a few reviews. I was hesitant due to the low price (a real bargain at the time of purchase), and experiences of pure disappointment with the output of cameras in a simlar and higher price bracket. However, it's a corker!!!

+ great options
+ super pictures
+ quick to start

- flash can take a time to recharge if in low light

I thought that using 2xAA batteries would be a pain, as I wanted in internal lithium, but this has proved no problem as I carry spare recharged ones around and this aved me one day when out and about and I ran out of juice. As a Nikon man I have been very pleased with my first forays into the world of Canon.

An SLR quality shooter it ain't for sure, but for the price paid I doubt I could be happier.

Tipover Game
Tipover Game

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Game, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Tipover Game (Toy)
As a fan of Rush Hour, I thought this looked ideal for my 7-year old. She loves it, but not as much as I do! Very addictive indeed. I am working through the levels after she goes to bed and it is taxing my brain nicely, very good for the development of logic and 3D modelling/visualisation in children.

The pieces are all well made, extremely durable. The game plays well, has about three rules (nice), and challenges all ages. A great bag means that the box can be ditched and the pieces stay secure and tidy.

I am becoming a very big fan of these ThinkFun toys from Ravensburger due to their educational angles.

Doctor Who In Line Scooter
Doctor Who In Line Scooter

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price - no rip off due to marketing, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who In Line Scooter (Toy)
As a father of two Doctor Who mad girls there is a lot of possible jealousy over certain branded items. One had seen this item in a catalogue and put it on their Christmas list - thanks to a much better price here on Amazon I could order one for each of them. Result! Both love them, their favourite presents this year.

VERY easy to get going once unpacked: a handlebar adjustment for the taller child and a pull/click/lock to get it unfolded. Very easy to fold and store too.

Very pleased that it wasn't an inflated cost just because it was Dr Who branded.

Very happy customer due to very happy girls.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5