Profile for Apel Mjausson > Reviews

Content by Apel Mjausson

Apel Mjausson (SF Bay Area, CA, US)

Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000
Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly customisable but not very wireless, 21 May 2007
I like how this mouse feels in my hand and it definitely has precision on its side. But what I like the most are all the buttons that can be customised. For instance I work a lot in Visio, so the outer buttons (the silver "wings") now zoom in and out in Visio. They do the same in Photoshop, even though the keyboard commands for zooming are different in the two applications. My only disappointment is that Firefox doesn't have a keyboard command for opening a link in another tab. That would otherwise have been an obvious choice for customisation. That's obviously not M$ fault, though.

About the subject line, wireless reception is fine up to about a foot away, in the same plane and with clear line of sight. This works fine on a desk. Don't think you can use it in a conference room setting, though. I've had it complain because I put a tube of hand cream between the mouse and the receiver and that was with brand new batteries.

Sony Clie Pega-CA62T Carry Case for TG/T series
Sony Clie Pega-CA62T Carry Case for TG/T series

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, Basic Case, 28 Feb 2004
If you've got a PEG TG50 this is the only case that will fit, as far as I know. Sony UK no longer sell this but they still had the pictures on their site last I checked (February 2004). The case is sturdy in padded poly-urethane. It doesn't cover the top or bottom of the PDA, in effect being more of a sleeve than a full-on case but it protrudes at the ends. I'm sure that if I dropped my PDA it would cushion the blow pretty well. It's a bit awkward but you can sync the PDA with the case on. Taking the case off is even moreso. There are slots for a business card and for two memory sticks. I'd imagine it would be a pretty tight fit with the memory sticks in there, though. My main quibble is that there is no stylus holder. If you want to get a thicker, more ergonomic stylus you're on your own. And finally the T in the model number stands for tan. There are a black (B) and a red (R) version too.

Daily Affirmations: For Adult Children of Alcoholics
Daily Affirmations: For Adult Children of Alcoholics
by Rokelle Lerner
Price: 7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Nurturing and loving, 31 July 2003
This is the best daily affirmation book I've ever read. Where other books tell you how to feel or shame you, this one is loving and nurturing all the way. Lerner acknowledges anger as well as gratitude, and doesn't flinch away from difficult subjects like sexuality or personal responsibility. She also gently nudges us to allow more spontaneity, play and joy in our lives.
Whether you grew up in an alcoholic family or one that was "just" dysfunctional, this book will expand your world and help you on your road to recovery.

Sacred Animals Calendar (2003)
Sacred Animals Calendar (2003)
by Kris Waldherr
Edition: Calendar

3.0 out of 5 stars Sacred Animals Done Reverently, 26 April 2003
Having Waldherr's paintings of sacred animals on the wall has been inspiring. When seen from afar, the pictures are jewels of colour. When seen close-up, it is evident that Waldherr really should paint on bigger canvases to better accomodate her detailed style. However the paintings are still very enjoyable.
If I have one quibble, it is that not all the animals are portrayed in positive situations. Seeing the dragon attacked by St. George in the dragon month, was unexpected and didn't feel right.
If you like Waldherr's style, I would recommend her Goddess Tarot.

Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
by Stephen Cope
Price: 9.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Western and Eastern sould body knowledge, 26 April 2003
This is an autobiographical book written by an American psychologist and yoga celebrity. The forward motion in the book is carried by Cope's experience while resident at the Kripalu Centre for Yoga and Health. This part of the book describes how Kripalu changed from a run of the mill guru-led yoga retreat to a more egalitarian yoga and health centre with a strong emphasis on the body-mind connnection and an anti-asceticism stance. Interspersed is a Hindu parable about the journey to enlightenment.
Cope's main point seems to be that in order to be a whole human being, we need to embrace wholeness rather than divide life into dichotomies and try to go for the "better" half of each dualistic pairing. He also talks about practical ways of achieving this non-grasping, non-rejecting way of living.
All in all, reading this book was a very enjoyable and poignant experience. Cope is honest about his own failings and failures in a touching way. He also doesn't shy back from demonstrating his strengths. What impressed me most is how Cope seems to model a way of being whole, being both a scholar and a body worker, being silly at times, profound at others. It's inspiring.

Tarot Spells (Llewellyn's New Age Tarot Series)
Tarot Spells (Llewellyn's New Age Tarot Series)
by Renee Janina
Price: 9.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and useful, 26 Aug 2002
When I first picked up this book the beautiful presentation led me to believe that this was a shallow, uninformative book. However having used it now for some time, I find the spells usable and also that it gives me ideas for creating my own spells. The information the author gives about why she chose to include the cards in a given spell, means that if you are comfortable with another deck, you can easily make substitutions and get more or less the same meaning. This was especially helpful for me as I use the Daughters of the Moon deck which is pretty different from the standard Rider-Waite-based deck used in the book. There are two reasons that I'm not giving the book five stars: one is that some of the spells obviously haven't been tested in real life (can you say "wine all over the altar"?), the other is that the affirmation given with each spell tend to be long, rambling and totally lacking in any poetry. They elaborate on how the spell is meant to work but you have to rewrite them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2012 11:31 PM BST