Profile for Mrs. Sheena leversedge -. Wood > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Sheena le...

Mrs. Sheena leversedge -. Wood "witchofthewestcountry" (Cornwall)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Faeries Oracle
The Faeries Oracle
by Brian Froud

5.0 out of 5 stars the most intuitive deck I have ever used, 20 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Faeries Oracle (Hardcover)
I don't know how many people reading these reviews will be like me.

I have NEVER been able to quite get to grips with Tarot. I can understand the meanings, and remember them, but that is still quite a flat way of reading. it doesn't flow, it isn't personal and it doesn't work for me.

I've tried. it's just not me. I've always had more of a knack for scrying and dowsing methods that are a lot more fluid. like the pendulum or a black mirror. or switched off tv screen, pool of inky water, you get the idea.

I have long been a fan of Brian Frouds art. these are not twinkly little flower fairies skipping lightly among the toadstools and shimmering like a pop culture vampire. these faeries are more than that. these faeries are real. some are beautiful, some are ugly, some are cruel, most are at best mischievous and at worst downright malicious.

I don't think that I'd be doing this review justice if I don't own up to this, something as a 31 year old woman, I don't often admit to unless I know the person I'm talking to well. I DO beleive in Faeries. like most people I grew out of that, but soon grew back into it again after seeing what I could only process as being a rather twisted, ugly, but unmistakeably human form with cranefly like wings. could be my imagination, could be my eyes, could have been a hallucination, but for me that was proof enough. I don't expect anyone to drop everything and beleive just because some random person on the internet saw a faerie.

now, I live in Cornwall. and have had many a discussion where that person I've admitted it to, widens their eyes, and admits they have them too.

they are not sweet. they are rarely helpful. when they are it's often a nuisance.
they have a wicked sense of humour, usually at your expense.

and I'd moved house, to an area where they weren't as rife. and was glad of not having stuff going missing all the time.

then I met these cards. they were sat in among books of artwork in a tattoo parlour. I shuffled the deck. and then I managed a very accurate reading for the friend that was with me. things I saw came to pass within the next few weeks. I would look at the cards, and have my eye drawn to certain figures, or shapes or situations, and understand how that related to the case at hand. they are SO intuitive. to read an unfamiliar deck, and not a tarot, so not the same symbolisms you can encounter in common with other decks, and know it well was completely alien to me, and I knew I had to get that deck.

I also knew that if I took that deck into my house, it would most likely be an open invitation to let the Faeries back into my life. and I'm glad I did. I realised I'd sort of missed them.

I take Faeries seriously. as seriously as they can let you take them. when you're the butt of their jokes, you learn to laugh at yourself, and living with them is not easy but it's never boring.

the deck itself is a comfortable size for my smallish hands, and the artwork will be mostly familiar to fans of Frouds artwork, having appeared in his books, most of them are in Good Faeries/Bad Faeries. the colours are mostly slightly muted and nicely natural with bright points of light in many of the images. The Singers are shapes and light and colours, more abstract, but still very readable. some cards are in a more scratchy, sketchy style in greens and browns and greys, while most are detailed and more realistic in style. the reverse features an image which is on one of the cards, where goblin faces are jumbled together, and are upright whether the card is in reverse or upright, so if you like to work with reversals, this will work. however I've never found a need to work reversals into my readings with them, as the same card can read COMPLETELY differently on different days, depending where the card gets you to look. having said that, whenever I pull the card that has the reversable faces, it is often upside down, despite always being returned to the deck the right way up. this is classic Faerie humour. like having a little raspberry blown at you.

I also found that this deck doesn't like a formal layout too much. I start with six cards in positions that work for me to have a framework for the reading, and from there, go freestyle. asking questions on situations and influences, and often questions on the questions.
I also find that rather the way this deck reads for me is rather like it's showing me different forces at play in a situation, rather than dealing just with the situation. some of the readings can be quite lateral, but the people I have read for are often surprised by some of the things that come out. it seems to pick up less on things and more on feelings. not just the situation, but how you feel about that situation.

so. while I have found I don't need it often, I suppose some attention must be given to the book.
it has some excellent exercises for getting to know the deck, and some good interpretations, considering how changeable every card is. it also shows a good understanding of the nature of Faeries, albeit a SLIGHTLY idealised one. their humour and personality is there to see in the book.

so. I love this deck. I keep it with me in my handbag most of the time, and will often have an on the spot reading out and about. although they are just card and ink, there is real personality in this deck. intuition and humour and more than a bit of gentle teasing, reminding you not to take them, yourself, or life TOO seriously.

Fancy Dress Love Bite Fangs, Dental Fix
Fancy Dress Love Bite Fangs, Dental Fix
Offered by Superstars

5.0 out of 5 stars good enough to have me cheating on my dentist, 7 Oct. 2010
it's been many years since I've bought any mass produced fangs. when I last tried mass produced ones, even quite expensive ones were, quite frankly, terrible. so about 15 years ago, as a birthday present for her vampire obsessed teenage daughter (vampire obsessed teenage girls are not the new phenomena they are made out to be) my mum had me a little denture made by our dentist, with canine caps and a small plate.
and they were amazing.
over time, my mouth grew and changed, and they no longer fitted.
and then I worked as a dental nurse, took my little plate along to the technician and had a second set made in the same style.

15 years after my first custom made fangs, the second set no longer fitting comfortably, and not being flush enough to get another replacement before halloween, I decided to dip a toe back into the world of mass produced fangs as a temporary measure.

and they are EXCELLENT.

at first glance, and trying to ignore the packaging, that looks like the cover of a terrible gothic romance book, the teeth looked great. they have a good level of shine, to match in well with the shine of natural teeth, are well shaped, and a good size (I picked these over other scarecrow products, as they are described as being small fangs, which I think looks a lot more "natural" than some of the oversized ones you see around) my only criticism of them being the colouring, as they are a shade too white. I have very white teeth, and my custom made fangs were probably a touch darker than these, as your canine teeth are naturally darker than your incisors. so perhaps if you have darker teeth (a sign that they are good and strong, lucky you) then they might appear lighter than your natural teeth, and look fake. that really is my only criticism.

the kit provides plenty of the fixing material, and good instructions for fitting the teeth. the compound is easy to mix to the right consistancy, and you can get a really good snug fit. so snug, in fact, I had trouble removing them the first time.

they are comfortable, and admittedly, I have the usual first wear lisping going on, but I had that with my plates too. I've always found that sticking on an album you love and singing along with it is a great way of getting over the lisping when talking barrier.

so basically, I am very impressed with the progress that mass produced fangs have made over the past 15 years since I last used them, and I would highly recommend any scarecrow fangs. they are easy to use, comfortable, fit well, look great, and are very very very nearly as good as something custom made by a dental technician, but at a much more affordable price.

excellent. highly recommended. I am very satisfied with them.

The Wagamama Cookbook (Cookery)
The Wagamama Cookbook (Cookery)
by Hugo Arnold

4.0 out of 5 stars very authentic results, but lots of prep. don't be put off by that., 3 Aug. 2010
my husband and I both enjoy going to Wagamama when we go to the city where our nearest one is.

there are a lot more recipes in this book than appear on the current menu, right down to the dipping sauces to go with the side dishes and the fruit juices.

the only area I found slightly lacking was the desert section. I would have liked to see some of the more unusual deserts I've seen on the , but always been far too stuffed to try after my meal.

there is a lot of preparation involved in these recipes, and quite a lot of ingredients. however most supermarkets are now getting more and more multicultural in their produce, so they're only getting easier and easier to find. and most larger towns have some specialist shops for asian food. they smell wonderful when you go past, and are usually great value for things like spices too, so be brave and go in.

and some of the recipes don't take as much prep. especially with the side dishes.

all the recipes I've tried from this book have really accurate results. when I made the Chilli Chicken Men, which is what my husband always orders, the resulting meal was a near carbon copy of what turns up when we eat there. had the chillies we used been just a little hotter, it would have been identical.

another great thing about this book is that if you or someone in your family is a bit unadventurous (my man will pretty much only eat chicken dishes) then you can make other recipes with the preferred ingredient, and try things that you wouldn't get to in the restaraunt.

overall, I really recommend this book. yes, some of the recipes take a lot of making, but I enjoy cooking, so I don't mind that. just maybe not so everyday because of the prep work involved.

if you like Wagamama, and like cooking, this is a fantastic book.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars a cute little bat, 14 July 2010
I'm not a beanie collector, but I do have this one, the purple, patterned edition of the same figure and radar the little black bat.

I'm more a bat collector than a beanie collector.

batty is soft, and is very cute, rather like real bats.

as a child I always wanted toy bats, but there weren't many around. so I make up for it now.

I also think that it's good to help children who might not be interested in bats to avoid the negative stereotypes of these lovely animals by their early exposure being as something cute, rather than grotesque or frightening.

bats are cute. and batty is a very cute beanie.

TY Radar the Black Bat Beanie Buddy 10"
TY Radar the Black Bat Beanie Buddy 10"
Offered by HOPE FIRE United States

4.0 out of 5 stars a cute bat, and something more unusual for beanie collectors, 14 July 2010
first of all, I'm not a beanie collector. I'm a bat collector. I have the batty beanie in pink and purple, and this one.

the batty toys are slightly more anthropomorphised than this one, which is more realistically shaped, albeit with red eyes, rather than a more natural black or brown.

but he is really rather cute, and I am very fond of him.

Batty the Ty-Dye Bat - Ty Beanie Baby
Batty the Ty-Dye Bat - Ty Beanie Baby
Offered by LimiTeds

4.0 out of 5 stars a cute little bat, 14 July 2010
I'm not a beanie collector, but I do have this one, which is a special edition of the pinky coloured one in the same pattern of the same figure and radar the little black bat.

I'm more a bat collector than a beanie collector.

batty is soft, and is very cute, rather like real bats.

bats are cute. and batty is a very cute beanie.

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2010 4:22 PM GMT

The Bat Workers' Manual
The Bat Workers' Manual
by Tony Mitchell-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty much essential., 14 July 2010
this is a recommended text for anyone training as a bat worker to obtain their license.

it's very much a text book, and if you weren't going into this field, just someone with an interest in bats, there isn't a great deal you would gain from this book that would be relevant.

as someone at the start of my training, so in transition between these two states, I can see that unless you were looking to train for a license, it's not the sort of book you'd want to read for more knowledge. because this isn't where you'd find it.

there's a lot on the legal aspects of disturbing bats, or dealing with cases where you think this is occurring, lots on the legislation, and details on bat safe timber treatment, dealing with people who have found a roost on their property, health and safety issues and ways of addressing them, and some information on architecture, methods of capturing bats while avoiding harm.

so mostly things you wouldn't need to know unless you were entering into this training.

and most of the information you will get about the bats themselves will be through first hand experience in the field with your trainer. there is a section on anatomy and breeding, but it's not that in depth.

basically, if you're training, this book is one you will want by your side. absolutely hands down, no doubt about it.

if you are someone who loves and adores bats and wants to learn more about them, there are better books out there for your needs.

Kaiser Chiefs Employment (Guitar Tab): Employment for Guitar TAB
Kaiser Chiefs Employment (Guitar Tab): Employment for Guitar TAB
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Sept. 2005
just sat down this morning and learnt most of the album.
this tab book is very good. the tablature size is large enough to see clearly when its propped up next to you, but not so large you have to keep turning pages. the tab itself seems pretty accurate. certainly nothing that sounded off.
and while this is more down to the music itself, rather than the quality of this book, it's satisfyingly easy to play, and sounds great.
so I'd say this would be especially ideal for someone just starting out, as it will definitely add an albums worth to your repertoire without too much frustration. and for those of us that have been playing longer, it's a Kaiser Chiefs tab book. the songs are brilliant. this tab is accurate.
what more could you want.
except a backing track CD. more tab books should have them.

Employment
Employment
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars this is just fantastic!, 24 April 2005
This review is from: Employment (Audio CD)
this poor little jaded aging britpopper feels like a teenager again.
this band made it on to my all time favourite bands list far too easily.
remember when music was FUN!?
when you'd jump up and down and bounce and bounce some more, and shout and sing til your voice upped and left and coming home from a gig without a few bounce induced bruises was the sign of a really rubbish night.
when smiling was the new black
well this album is fun.
early Britpop (before everyone thought Oasis were any good - Yeah RIGHT!) Fun.
there's a lot of Modern Life is Rubbish here, right down to the album sleeve artwork. so it's no surprise to see Graham Coxon on the thank yous list at the back.
I predict a Riot is just fabulous. a reminder of why we clear out town centres before the Chavs leave the clubs.
there's a bit of everything here. not only are they influeced by Britpop, but by the usual Britpop influences too.
so look out for Bowie, Madness, Adam & the Ants, The Jam, The Clash, The Smiths, you name it.
are you ready to remember how fun music was 10 years ago?
buy this.
and see them live at the very next opportunity. you won't regret it.

10 Minute Guitar Workout
10 Minute Guitar Workout
by David Mead

5.0 out of 5 stars excercise that I can enjoy!, 21 Dec. 2003
brilliant excercises to improve dexterity, pace and even your musical ear.
starts simply and gradually increses the difficulty of the excercises and the number of repetitions in a set time. you can increase these at your own pace.
also has excellent explanations of tablature, and examples of different techniques (shown in tab, described, and on the CD) and examples of different effects pedals on the CD (helps you narrow down which ones you'd like next)
great book, and the excercises are perfect for a warm up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3