Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "jaxwebbch" (Lauerz, Switzerland)

Human
Human
by Robert Winston

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an all time favourite!!, 25 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Human (Hardcover)
We live in a rural village in German-speaking Switzerland, and I teach in a prestigious international school nearby.

When I saw this book in the only English bookshop for miles around I wanted it more than any other book I have ever seen!

The pictures are glorious, the content so very well thought out and easy to reference that I can honestly say that I LOVE this book!

I learn about all aspects of human history, and for me, most importantly, the "human condition" from a not so distant perspective.

I think that this is a book which promotes International-mindedness, wonder and humility at the ways we as human inhabitants live differently but are uniquely bound together.

This book has made an open-minded IB workshop leader more informed and more worldly wise.

If I had to run from "a burning building" the only thing I would treasure more than this guide to human kind would be life itself!

You owe it to yourself, your family and your community to own and browse this amazing book!

It will inspire you to wonder and appreciate diversity !

Oh yes ...This is the kind of knowledge that promotes world wisdom, and should perhaps cost more in worldly currency...but I love that everyone can own and connect with this incredibly informative and inspiring book!

Why can't I award more than 5 stars?!!!!

Creating Classrooms for Authors and Inquirers
Creating Classrooms for Authors and Inquirers
by Kathy G. Short

5.0 out of 5 stars Educators...be inspired!, 24 July 2002
Kathy Short insipes me! And in this day and age inspiration is a word often sold too cheaply!
Having had the remarkable good fortune to have met and heard her recently at an educational conference, she not only moved me intellectually but also emotionally, to become a better and more thoughtful educator ...(and that from someone who thought they had more than a few of the right moves all figured out!!)
This book does more than hypothesise and eulogise, it informs and exemplifies good teaching practice.
This is the kind of good teaching practice that serves the children we teach and the thoughtful people they will become, whilst it challenges us to take the big step of really responding to, and facilitating the students natural curoiosity. Simulatneously this book is challenging us, the teachers to be the kind of teachers we wish we'd been lucky enough to have!
Sometimes it is a scary ride! Kathy and friends describe all the practical possibilities for us that I have little doubt that we would all like to try if we had the self-confidence (not to mention a few organisational skills!) to try.
It really is all there spelled out for you! My advice is to take it a step at a time. Find something in this book that speaks to you, that you feel is workable in your situation...and enjoy the results. Once you have reached your comfort level with Kathy's inspiration, pass this book on to a partner teacher (or buy them a copy for a gift!!) Not only will she think that you are a well read professional, but maybe she will try out some of the ideas for you!
Work together and really enjoy your chosen vocation!
Afterall, remember that, in most cases, in order to empower somenone it takes someone BIG enough to hand over responibility!
I recommend this book full-heartedly to my fellow colleagues who already have a nagging feeling that there must be something more to this teaching lark...and are willing to really go looking!
Enjoy... we would love to hear about your results to pass on to our own teachers who are using this text to develop their professioanl goals!