Profile for shish@nutshell.net > Reviews

The Racing Driver: The Theory and Practice of Fast Driving
by Denis Jenkinson
Price: 14.87

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful trip back in time., 23 July 2001
Racing cars is my life, frankly, and I always welcome the opportunity to learn at the feet of people who know more than me. I bought this book hoping to learn more about race driving techniques and mentalities, and I'm sure that if you are relatively inexperienced in such matters, this book will provide some insight.
It wasn't quite what I was expecting (an entire chapter is devoted to the definition of the word 'tigering', which I thought was a little long-winded) So why the five stars? This book is a brilliant step back in time, written by a breezy and conversational style by an all-round great guy who used to co-pilot for Stirling Moss. By it and step back in time. I know I'll keep coming back it over time, just for fun.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2012 12:58 AM BST

From Atlantis to the Sphinx: Recovering the Lost Wisdom of the Ancient World
From Atlantis to the Sphinx: Recovering the Lost Wisdom of the Ancient World
by Colin Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars If you read one book on the subject, read this one., 24 Nov 2000
It was with great apathy that I began reading this book on the recommendation of a friend. In the past, I have suffered through the excitable jibberish of 'classics' such as Erich Von Daniken's 'Chariots of the Gods', in which he puts forward thought-provoking insights as 'irrefutable proof' of alien intervention. While his book contains many very interesting shards of evidence which deserve further investigation, Daniken proves to be his own worst enemy by using the phrase 'irrefutable proof' more often than he uses punctuation... So you can perhaps understand my skepticism of such books. 'From Atlantis to the Shphinx' was a breath of fresh air. Once I started reading, I could not stop. Wilson begins with the premise that the erosion of the body of the Sphinx was caused by water, and not wind. How such a potentially staggering fact could have escaped the notice of Egyptologists is unclear, but any geologist will confirm this (I checked). Even by the Egyptologists admission, Egypt has been a barren land for many thousands of years before the time that the Sphinx is claimed to have been built by the Pharoah Cheops. This simple fact, easily proven or disproven, flies in the face of everything we thought we knew, not just about ancient Egypt, but about the timeline of human history. Wilson guides the reader through fact after stunning fact, and remains eminently readable through-out. I think what impressed me most was the fact that, unlike many other writers in this genre, he does not cheapen his work with wacky and over-zealous conclusions which enjoy only a tenuous link to the evidence at hand (Mr Von Daniken, I'm looking in your direction). This book is as far inland of the 'lunatic-fringe' of the genre as I have ever read, and I am now in the process of ordering many of the books he cites in his bibliography. If you are currently of the opinion that the ancient Egyptians built the Pyramids with slaves and pulleys, and that the 'Lost continent of Atlantis' is nothing more than a fanciful myth, then this book might (might) just change your mind.