Profile for Io > Reviews

Content by Io

Io (Cymru, UK)

Patterns of Fashion 4: The cut and construction of linen shirts, smocks, neckwear, headwear and accessories for men and women c. 1540 - 1660
by Janet Arnold
Price: 20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book on historical costume., 13 July 2014
Another fantastic book in the series Patterns of Fashion. I never tire of reading through it. It's invaluable as a reference guide and gives patterns and instructions for recreating many items.

Barry Lyndon [1975] [DVD]
Barry Lyndon [1975] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan O'Neal

2.0 out of 5 stars This film was recommended to me by a friend and I was looking ..., 13 July 2014
This review is from: Barry Lyndon [1975] [DVD] (DVD)
This film was recommended to me by a friend and I was looking forward to watching it as I love period dramas. Sadly I found this film incredibly dull and frustrating (it also seemed to drag on forever). I am so amazed that it gets such good reviews.

OK, the cinematography is good. The costumes are great. It is visually entertaining and pleasing to the eye. Those are the good bits.
Now for the bad. I found the acting unbelievably wooden, the main character particularly so. I couldn't engage with anyone in the film. OK so maybe the intention was to show repressed emotion, well it was so repressed it was totally absent. I want to feel emotionally involved with characters, whether I love or hate them or anything in-between. I felt absolutely nothing for anyone in this film. Even during the sad parts of the film when tears were shed, I felt certain that onions had been employed.

The music score I found incredibly irritating. Nothing wrong with the choice of music, the issue was having to listen to the same musical phrases repeated over and over and over throughout the film. By the end it nearly drove me insane. It felt like torture and I wanted to shout at the screen, 'shut up!' and cover my poor bleeding ears. I mean, who would want to listen to the same music track for three hours? Why???

So much work went into making this film and some may describe it as an epic, but it is an epic disappointment for me.
It's best viewed with the sound turned off, as a beautiful moving wallpaper, whilst accompanied by a VARIETY of suitable classical music.

Seventeenth Century Women's Dress: 2 (Dress Pattern 2)
Seventeenth Century Women's Dress: 2 (Dress Pattern 2)
by Tiramani Jenny
Price: 22.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 4 Jan 2013
Every bit as good as Book One. I can't fault these books, everything I could wish for in a book on historic dress. It is a thing of beauty, just as good to look at - the detailed photographs of beautiful garments - as to follow the detailed instructions on how the garments were constructed. I have a growing collection of costume books but this series is by far my favourite. I only wish there were more garments/objects covered. I hope the series continues....

Seventeenth-Century Women's Dress Patterns (Womens Dress Patterns 1)
Seventeenth-Century Women's Dress Patterns (Womens Dress Patterns 1)
by Jenny Tiramani
Price: 31.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for recreating historical garments, 29 Dec 2011
This is the most fantastic book on dress patterns I've ever come across. There aren't a huge number of patterns but each one is accompanied by detailed colour photographs of the originals and step by step guidance on recreating each item, including embroidery details and even bobbin lace patterns! Before I got this book I used Janet Arnolds' Patterns of Fashion books to help create reproduction garments, but this new book gives much more detail, and is beautifully presented. Of all the books I own on the subject of historical fashion, this is by far the best. I can't praise it highly enough and hope a series of these books are created to cover different eras.

The Edible Container Garden: Fresh Food from Tiny Spaces
The Edible Container Garden: Fresh Food from Tiny Spaces
by Carol Klein

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive but not very practical, 15 April 2009
This is an attractive and well layed out book, however, I found it uninspiring and disappointing.

It consists mostly of text interspersed with decorative images, none of which is informative. There is a lot of repetition and I generally found it quite boring to read. I would have much preferred it if the relevant information was provided in a more accessible format rather than being buried in excessive text. It's not the sort of book one could pick up and refer to easily.

I don't really know what this book is trying to be. It's certainly not a definitive 'how to' guide to planting containers which I'd hoped it would be.

The only interesting part for me is the final Chapter which lists vegetables, fruits and herbs, giving albeit painfully brief information on growing each in containers or raised beds.

Nineteenth Century Fashion in Detail
Nineteenth Century Fashion in Detail
by Lucy Johnston
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Visual Feast, 15 April 2009
As a lover of historical fashion and a creator of reproduction costume, I find this book an excellent reference manual, showing details of construction. As well as being informative, its clean lay out and beautiful photographs are just as valuable to me and make the book a stunning visual addition to my library.

If you are interested in historical fashion, I cannot imagine you'd be anything but delighted with this book.

My only critiscm is that it's too short, I want more and more...