Profile for M. Thompson > Reviews

Content by M. Thompson

M. Thompson "Love to cook" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
AccuSharp Knife & Tool Sharpener Made in the USA. Accusharp is a knife sharpener anyone can use!
Offered by Zeva Mundial Knives, Scissors & Manicure

5.0 out of 5 stars This really works, 25 Jun. 2014
I run a cookery school and this little beauty is a great sharpener. It's easy to use although slightly terrifying when you realise that you have to turn the knives blade upwards and run the sharpener along them, which is why the hand guard is crucial. Yes, it shaves a little metal off the knife edge but that's what gets it razor sharp again. My knives take a pounding from customers and a butcher's steel won't get the edge back on a knife that's blunt but this will. Money well spent.

Patisserie: A Masterclass in Classic and Contemporary Patisserie
Patisserie: A Masterclass in Classic and Contemporary Patisserie
by William Curley

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful to look at but not terribly practical, 25 Jun. 2014
You only need to look at the cover shot to realise that this is not a book for novices or indeed for keen amateurs. It requires a lot of specialist equipment and a huge amount of time and ability. I run a cookery school and teach patisserie classes and I wouldn't put this level of complexity into the recipes I teach. For example the chocolate, banana and peanut caramel bar requires pate sablee, chcocolate sponge, alcohol syrup, dark choc mousse, peanut tuile, salt caramel, peanut paste, dark spraying chocolate and gold leaf. The end results are beautiful, they are the sort of patisseries that grace the shop windows in Fauchon or other top end Paris bakeries but to get results as good as these they require a level of experience and dexterity that only professional pastry chefs have. Many recipes require 12-15 small photos of the stages of construction and because of the number needed the photos are small (5 x 5cm) which is too small in my view. They've also done that really annoying design thing of printing instructions over a large background photo which renders the print virtually impossible to read (if you're in a book shop, check out page 121, it's like a nightmare eye test!). I'll keep it because the patisseries are beautiful and some of the decorating techniques are useful but at £32 I'd think carefully about whether to invest in this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2014 11:35 PM BST

Silvine Invoice Duplicate Memo Book 616 100 Pages 50 Sheets
Silvine Invoice Duplicate Memo Book 616 100 Pages 50 Sheets
Offered by AbbeyShake

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 11 Dec. 2013
Don't make the same mistake as me, I assumed this was a non carbon duplicate book but it isn't, it has a sheet of carbon paper that you have to use each time between the sheets. It does not make this explicit at all and I wouldn't have bought it if I'd realised, I can't be faffing about with carbon sheets when I'm writing out receipts.

100% Non-Stick Re-Usable Oven Cooking Liner
100% Non-Stick Re-Usable Oven Cooking Liner
Offered by SK Depots

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine to line the oven, read this if you intend to use for baking, 4 May 2013
I run a cookery school and use a lot of baking products. This sheet is fine if you're putting it on the bottom of your oven to catch spills, although it's so thin a fan oven will blow it all over the place. However if you want to use it for baking be aware that it's really thin, I think it will tear easily and you could accidentally rip it with a metal spatula or palette knife. It also arrives flat packed and folded which means it has three folds down the centre which are permanant. For baking delicate items (I was going to use it for macarons) it won't lie totally flat and can affect the shape of the baked items. For baking, spend the extra money and get the Kitchen Craft sheet, thicker, larger and arrives rolled so no creases.

Delia's Cakes
Delia's Cakes
by Delia Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious design flaw with this book, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
If you want this book just to look at beautiful photos of cakes and buns then knock yourself out. If you actually want to make any of the recipes it will drive you mad. The designers decided to print the ingredients list in a pale gold green italised font, it is virtually impossible to read. You have to tilt the book this way and that to see the words. And worse still, rather than printing them as a neat list, justified to the left, they've written them as a rambling paragraph centred in the middle of the page. I'm sending the book back because it's useless if you actually want to make the recipes, I'm amazed Delia let them do this, she strikes me as a sensible woman who would want the book to look good but be practical. It's not, maybe she didn't see it before it went to print. A brilliant example of style over content.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2013 8:40 PM BST

Braun Container BC 5000/6000 (1000ml)
Braun Container BC 5000/6000 (1000ml)
Offered by Seaview Shavers

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, saved me a fortune, 6 Mar. 2013
Delivered as fast as Amazon delivery which was great. I wrecked by old jug and thought I'd have to buy a whole new stick blender set (they don't make this model any more and I love it) but these guys saved the day. I highly recommend them.

Nikon Coolpix L310 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Nikon Coolpix L310 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

3.0 out of 5 stars Eats batteries, 27 Feb. 2013
I have to confess that I have not been won over by this camera yet. It eats batteries, I've invested in a battery charger and rechargeables purely to feed this beast, why they didn't give it a built in rechargeable I don't know. It's a bit bulky, the flash is so unforgiving it makes everyone look as if they're standing in an operating theatre and I started to read the manual then lost the will to live.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2013 4:17 PM BST

Canon PIXMA MG6250 All-in-One Colour Printer (Print, Copy, Scan Wi-Fi and Auto Duplex)

3.0 out of 5 stars Style over content?, 28 Jan. 2013
I decided to update my faithful old HP Officejet 6110 because it wouldn't scan any more and I thought technology having advanced so much (the HP is about 8 years old) would mean I would get a really swoofy printer for my money. My experience so far is this, wireless set up was simple but the printer is within spitting distance of the router. The set up menu is not intuitive, it took me an hour to work through the whole programme. Having used it for a week here are my thoughts

Pros

Good looking, compact
Wireless
Two paper trays (I use the rear tray for A5 sheets, not photo paper)
Printing quality fine, no better than the HP (I don't really print photos)

Cons
It takes a good 2 minutes to wake up before it prints (anyone know if there is a way of overcoming this, it's infuriating if you want to print and go in a hurry)
The user manual and shortcut menu that appear on my Mac are horrible, the icons are ugly and it looks like old fashioned windows style menus
The menus for scanning and printing various layouts of photos are also ugly and clunky to use and I'm struggling to find my way round them and I'm not a technophobe
It seems to have cluttered up my dashboard with an icon for every feature it has, the HP had one printer icon which you clicked on to see all the options
Despite having unplugged and removed the HP from my applications, it still appears every time I bring up the print menu and I have to select the Canon despite it being the only printer linked up (this may be something I've done wrong but I can't figure out what)
I think the standard colour print looks like a draft version, it's not very bright or deep
There is no automatic document feeder, which for this price point you would expect
For the life of me I can't figure out how to rotate scans after I've done them, I'm sure it's somewhere in the horrible on screen manual - again any help would be most welcome.

I've read many reviews about how much ink this baby will eat, so I've got that joy to come!

All in all, it is not dramatically better than my old faithful HP (which I've kept just in case).

Forefront Cases Leather Case Cover/Stand with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function for Apple iPad Mini - Black
Offered by Forefront Cases

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and get an Apple cover, 16 Jan. 2013
To be fair they delivered it in two days. And to be fair again, I guess you get what you pay for. Let's just deal with this microfiber leather thing - it's not leather, it's a man made leather look fabric, but what do you expect for £8.99? The iPad mini fits it well but the stand doesn't work, it doesn't snap into place neatly like the Apple ones and after a few taps it simply gives up and falls over. So it works as a cover of sorts for the iPad but even then it doesn't make a totally snug and flat fit with the iPad surface but sits proud along the seams which means dirt and dust and handbag debris can get in there and spoil the screen. I'd return it but for less than a tenner I can't be arsed with all the faffing about and they might not refund me anyway so I'll keep it until I can get to an Apple store and buy the real thing. As my best friend always says (I really must take more heed of her) 'Buy cheap, buy twice'.

Rexel SmartCut EasyBlade Trimmer A4 Charcoal 10 Sheet Capacity
Rexel SmartCut EasyBlade Trimmer A4 Charcoal 10 Sheet Capacity

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Jan. 2013
Considering this is one of the more expensive cutters available, in my view it does not represent good value. Firstly the guidelines on the cutting surface are poor. It doesn't give a wide range - mainly just the standard paper sizes (and I don't know how useful A7 is to anyone) and centimetre grid with inches as a rule along the top edge only. The paper size guides are misleading, I couldn't work out why A5 wasn't coming out as equal parts of an A4 sheet until I realised the icon of a small turned down page corner next to the letters A5 does not refer to the thick guide lines around it, but to the edges of the much feinter icon itself - which is tiny and hard to line up to because it's only about 1.5cm long, not helpful. Even then I don't think it's as accurate as other paper cutters I've had. They claim it can cut up to ten pages, categorically it can't. You can fit them in sure, then you run the cutter over them and discover it's only cut through half the pile. My previous cutter was a Rymans own brand at £17 and I'm regretting not getting another one!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3