Profile for ribbs23 > Reviews

Programming 2D Games
Programming 2D Games
by Charles Kelly

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 11 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Programming 2D Games (Hardcover)
This book is good for beginners and intermmediate programmers and allows you to start creating a game very quickly. This being because programming 2D games is less challenging than 3D, and in my opinion a better place to start. Other books tend to focus on 3D programming which requires a lot more knowledge and can be a bit overwhelming for beginners. Whereas programming in 2D allows you to be more focused on creativity. I like this book and I like 2D games and once you've got to a good level understanding the mechanics of a 2D game I think the transition to 3D should be less daunting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2013 11:16 PM GMT

Game Coding Complete
Game Coding Complete
by Mike McShaffry

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for intermediate C++ programmer, 11 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Game Coding Complete (Paperback)
I was looking foward to receiving this book and I wasn't disappointed, although I'm a beginner C++ programmer the explanations are good enough to slowly figure out what they are trying to teach - although I have to re-read each chapter - It is what it says, a complete experience in coding a game engine. The concepts involved are based on professional techniques so can be a little advanced but overall with patience and re-reading it does start to flow. I am taking my time to go through it as like I said I'm pretty much a beginner and with the 'further reading' recommendations, I'm using different books to accompany what I'm getting from this title. I've had the book for about a month and already feel confident in progressing.