Profile for C. Smith > Reviews

Content by C. Smith

C. Smith (Waldorf, Maryland (USA))

Desperate Romantics [DVD]
Desperate Romantics [DVD]
Dvd ~ Samuel Barnett

3.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing But Would Have Liked to Have Seen Extras, 24 Sep 2009
This review is from: Desperate Romantics [DVD] (DVD)
Carolyn (Maryland, USA)

I purchased the Desperate Romantics (DR) dvd via amazon.co.uk because it's not available in the United States. I loved Adrian Turner in BBC's Being Human and wanted to see more of his work. I watched the DR series on YouTube.com (in ten-minute increments). I loved it and had to buy the dvd. I didn't know about Region restrictions, so I had to purchase software that would allow to view the dvd (boy, oh boy). I don't know if the DR series will be aired in America on BBCA. BBCA wouldn't give me an answer on this. I've read reviews and it doesn't seem that the BBC is going to commission a second DR series. That's too bad because I'd watch it. We in America are so "British-show"-deprived (I can't enough them anyway). Of course, the frustating thing about the Americanized airings of British shows is that they are censored to death. Thank goodness for dvds or premium channels, like Showtime or HBO, carrying some British shows.

I've always loved BBC's period pieces. I wish the DR series had been a little longer--maybe eight or nine episodes. But, I do think that ten to twelve episodes may be the limit for most series. I can't recall being able to watch every episode in an American-made series (most shows seem to have over 20 episodes). I agree with UK audiences--that Americanized shows are overkill with repeating old plots--filler plots and reminscing...yarn....

Regarding the DR dvd--I was disppointed that it didn't include extras, you know--any outtakes, actors goofing around during/after takes, any alternate endings, all interviews. The dvd did include background info about the period and the author's interview, and a interview with all of the actors... but not the interviews that were posted on the DR website (which can't be viewed in America). In America, I cannot view any of those interviews since the BBCA is not carrying the series. For example, I can't view the interview with Aidan Turner where he discusses a very personal injury he suffered while filming a scene.