ARRAY(0xab4726d8)

Profile for Rusty Shackleford > Reviews

Content by Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford (England - somewhere)

Page: 1 | 2
Rightful King
Rightful King

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad pre-order bonus., 14 Nov 2012
This review is from: Rightful King (Kindle Edition)
I must say, i was pleasantly suprised with this pre-order bonus. I always appreciate game developers who like to flesh out their world, and this book did that. It wasn't a rough read either.

However, this is extremely short. It only took me about 20 minutes to read. It definitely isn't worth the full-price.

I did make me wonder who the audience for this really is though. Most COD fans seem a bit too knuckle-headed to read a book (no offence) so it seemed out of place when the story meditates on the relationship between poetry and dissent. Overall I was glad to see they didn't talk down to their fans.

I would also encourage other game develops to offer e-books as pre-order bonuses.

Genus
Genus
Price: 5.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but worth a read, 12 Sep 2012
This review is from: Genus (Kindle Edition)
This novel is alright, but I found it a little heavy on exposition. It's all tell, no show. Sure, maybe this is supposed to mirror Crick within the novel who chronicles the last days of the Kross, but I found it clunky. Also the plot is a little uninteresting. The central idea is good, but the morality seems a very and black and white. The improved don't seem to have any human qualities you can empathise with as the reader.

In a Strange Room
In a Strange Room
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A meditation on journeys and relationships., 29 April 2012
This review is from: In a Strange Room (Kindle Edition)
Being a fan of Coetzee I was quick to label Galgut as the next best South African writer. However I think Galgut even ecclipses the great Coetzee with his style. Every paragraph offers an insight into the human condition, the storys being about failure in realtionships blamed squarely on the narrator. And I always have time for authors influenced by Faulkner.

The Queen's English: And How to Use It
The Queen's English: And How to Use It
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars The Accent of Oppression., 7 April 2012
Please people, keep your regional accents and don't end up speaking like one of these smeg-heads. Of course we should aim to have good, relevant grammar and vocabulary, but we don't all need to sound like an outdated class system based on bigotry and superiority.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2013 12:08 PM BST

Make a Million from Online Poker
Make a Million from Online Poker
by Nigel Goldman
Price: 6.24

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 9 Feb 2012
This is badly written, and all over the place. The poker odds section is presented with about as much finesse as a shopping cart.

Get Instinctive Poker by James Davis instead.

The Strain
The Strain
Price: 1.40

2.0 out of 5 stars Turning vampires into zombies ruined it for me., 25 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Strain (Kindle Edition)
Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this novel. It doesn't have the tense and threatening feel of a true vampire novel. Instead it is a thriller with vampire-zombies in it.

On top of that the writing is pretty poor, and it had a very slow start.

Star Fox 64 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
Star Fox 64 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by Warehouse-Kingdom
Price: 17.49

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't make them like this anymore., 9 Sep 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I played this as a little kid on the N64, and so to get my hands on this was real nostalgia trip. The game is so fun. You play as a fox space-pilot and his anthropomorphic friends. It's like combining the x-wings from star wars with Nintendo awesomeness. Great music, voice acting and replayability add to the package. Sure you can claim the game is too short, but you're missing the point.

So do a barrel roll my friends and pick this one up.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2011 10:16 AM BST

The Maltese Falcon (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)
The Maltese Falcon (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Kindle Edition, 30 May 2011
The Maltese Falcon is a brilliant novel, one which defined the hard-boiled genre, and is of course worth reading. The kindle Edition also includes The Thin Man and Red Harvest which is a bonus, as that is not advertised here.

Marx: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Marx: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Peter Singer
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 7 Nov 2009
I have to agree with the other reviewers here, this book does exactly what it says on the tin, in an even-handed and unbiased fashion. This is very rare in the academia of marxism, and cannot be praised enough.

Dune
Dune
by Frank Herbert
Price: 6.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting world but awful writing and characterisation, 13 Aug 2009
This review is from: Dune (Paperback)
I'm sorry to upset any fans of this book - I can see why you claim it to be a pinnacle of science fiction. The world of Dune is very intersting, and I enjoyed the premise of an empire formed of warring factions.

But the writing is, in my opinion, awful. As someone else has pointed out it is 'all tell and no show'. I couldn't agree more. And the dialogue is written like a fourteen year old's idea of politics. It is all so black and white and self-important.

As for the characters, I found my self hating Paul and Jessica. They are completely one dimensional. Never are we treated to a serious character study as Paul basically becomes a God to the Fremen. There is absolutely no complexity or subtlety to this character, and that is unforgivable.

In short this is an interesting but incredibly flawed read.

Page: 1 | 2