Profile for D. Green > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
YouTube
YouTube

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 17 Jun. 2015
This review is from: YouTube (App)
A revelation. Quality of content is now on par with broadcast. Very easy to use.
Minor control issues with tha Amazon remote. Unable to click controls embedded, I assume, by the provider.

Sherlock Holmes
Sherlock Holmes
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible travesty., 28 Sept. 2014
I think, for me, this may be the worst ever Holmes film. I respect people's reasons for liking it. Here are mine for thinking it's awful.
Completely misses the point of the franchise. There is no mystery about this Holmes. He's just a cardboard cutout rather than a complex man with an ambiguously asocial personality. That unsubtle distinction seems to escape completely. The smart arse formulaic wisecracking between him and Watson really grates after a while. Oh the stupid and implausible characters. How on earth would anyone mistake a flammable liquid for rain? Just one example of a total disregard for any kind of logic in the characters or their behaviour.
Why is it that everyone turns into a pantomime "Oirish" man in a fight scene? Just seems insulting to the Irish with no redeeming whit or originality at all. I just do not understand why anyone thought this was a good idea.
Truly awful. Cannot think of anything good to say and that is, for me, unusual. Ok maybe it's played for laughs and I'm not getting it. That's the only explanation I can find for the existence of this travesty. But if so then the humour is a one trick pony that rapidly becomes, for me, merely irritating.
It reminds me of Coppers a bit. But Coppers has a heart and soul that is lacking here.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2014 12:05 PM BST

Apple iPad Air 32GB WiFiI 4G MD792B/A (Space Grey)
Apple iPad Air 32GB WiFiI 4G MD792B/A (Space Grey)
Offered by SMN TRONICS

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best tablets for the general user, 21 Sept. 2014
It has all been said. The iPad is, in my view, one of the best tablets for the general user. I have a Kindle Fire HDX8.9. But in the end I missed the professionalism of the iPad apps (Kindle app was the main HDX-killer) on my old iPad 2 so much that I bought this iPad Air.
Got the dreaded line of dead pixels after a couple of months (looks like one of the commoner problems) and Amazon kindly refunded my money. Then bought the replacement and decided to get 64Gb version.
I do not regret having both tablets. Android and the HDX have some unique features. But for most day to day tasks I find the iPad mores usable and less bother. The Kindle reader on the HDX, for example. Truly astonishing that Amazon has not done a better job there given the genuine efforts of Amazon to be customer centric.

Ascension
Ascension
Dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. Recommended if you like this kind of thing., 21 Sept. 2014
Not bad and I enjoyed it a lot. Rather clunky production at times. The implausible antics of Molly in lift shaft stand out for sheer lack of directorial values.
I would recommend this if you like sci fi and will put up with a bit of clunkiness. And if you are getting it 'free'.
Some characters very good. Nice to see a couple of strong female leads.
Also, Sparks is marvellously creepy.
In the end all plausibility is lost and disbelief dominates.
Without giving too much away, I think the series should be laid to rest on the assumption that the 'bad guys' really would have been destroyed (LOL) and 'Damien' lives happy with his new family. Same for robot boy.

New Apple iPad Air 2013 (iPad 5th Generation) With Retina Display (ALL Model Versions) BLACK ORIGAMI Multi-Function SMART FOLIO Front & Back Case / Smart Cover / Typing & Viewing Stand / Premium SLIM Flip Case With Magnetic Sleep Sensor & Screen Protector Shield Guard & iPad Air Black Stylus Pen Accessory Accessories Pack by InventCase®

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well. Excellent value for money, 16 Aug. 2014
This is one of the cheapest so-called smart covers going so it gets four stars for value and functionality.
I find it light and convenient.
Despite the apparent flimsiness it is very stable in lanscape mode though it feels a bit wobbly in portrait.
That said, few covers do portrait at all and I've had no problems in practice.
The edges of the lid are very tatty looking with short threads sticking out - as if they should have been trimmed.
Judging by some of the one star reviews it needs better instructions. Many people must be using it the wrong way up or something!
Loses one star for not being perfecty made.

Introduction to Quantum Mechanics: Pearson New International Edition
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics: Pearson New International Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book but be careful about buying the Kindle edition., 30 Jun. 2014
This is an excellent book especially if, like me, you are studying outside university.
Explanations are a model of clarity; including detail that is often omitted from other books.
Please, unless you are sure it is what you want, do NOT buy Amazon's Kindle-format version of this book (I assume that is what is being sold here) if you intend to read it on a Kindle tablet.
The book is available in Adobe format from the publisher's web site. That is where I bought my copy.
Why?
Because I already have several Amazon format Kindle text books and they are awful to read on the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9.
One example is "The Theoretical Minimum: What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics"
Reading Amazon's 'The Theoretical Minimum' on the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 is a miserable experience.
This due to equations being tiny (often unreadable) and failing to zoom with the text.
You have to double poke the formula or equation which then pops up on its own and you can't see the text any more.
I suspect that the Paper White Kindle is as defective as the Kindle Fire HDX but will be happy to be proved wrong.
The fault appears to be with the Amazon Kindle software.
Amazon is very negligent in not providing a decent reader for the Kindle Fire HDX tablet.
Note that:
1. The iPad Kindle program is OK in my experience.
2. Amazon format books are also OK on the PC.
I happen to know that authors are just as frustrated by the obduracy of Amazon in this regard.

The Calculus Lifesaver: All the Tools You Need to Excel at Calculus: All the Tools You Need to Excel at Calculus (Princeton Lifesaver Study Guides)

5.0 out of 5 stars But not for the kindle Fire HDX, 13 Jun. 2014
I found out about this book by watching Adrian Banner's online lectures.
The lectures are a wonder. Exceptionally easy to follow; assume little prior knowledge; do not miss out crucial steps that would be obvious to some (or many?) but are not obvious to me.
The book is just the same and I'm very impressed.
Like so many other physics and maths books, reading it on the Kindle Fire HDX is a miserable experience. Better than some but the problem is the same: Equations are tiny and do not zoom with the text.
Amazon is very negligent in not providing a decent reader for this tablet. The iPad one is fine.
Also fine on the PC. But not on the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. (A Kindle for %^&* sake)
Anyway - I always try to get this comment in and I would not want to mark the book down.
I also happen to know that authors are just as frustrated as I by the obduracy of Amazon in respect of its arcane (I'm told) publishing process.

vTube player for YouTube
vTube player for YouTube

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but needs to be more responsive to customer comments, 16 May 2014
This review is from: vTube player for YouTube (App)
I use VTube a lot but I'm unlikely to pay for VTube or continue to use it unless it smartens up its act.
Some annoying issues REALLY need fixing. I've already commented to the company but had no response.
The company does not appear to have a useful web site, developer blog, discussion group etc.
A few comments on usability etc.:
1. I asked the company to tell me where downloads are saved but it did not respond. If I could find the files then I could use any compatible player with them. But so far I have not found the files.
2. The app should ensure that when the user adds video to the download list it does actually get downloaded. I've no idea how this feature works. It seems to do the download randomly. Refreshing the list sometimes works. It's weird and charming but can be a annoying.
3. The app should, in my opinion, allow users to play-to other viewers such as MX Player. This is a common feature in iPad apps which gets around the horrible data-jailing issue on IOS. It would, however, be a welcome feature for Android also. MX is the best, in my opinion.
4. The VTube viewer usually just goes to the start of each video you view, even downloaded ones that you have partly watched.
With MX, for example, you automatically get things like the resume function.
(Also convenient on-screen controls for slow forward/back browsing, brightness, aspect ratio, volume etc.)
5. The app should not get bent out of shape when there is no internet connection. A core feature of an offline app is that it keeps its cool in this regard.
6. In my experience, on the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, does not "keeps crashing" as one reviewer put it, but VTube does seem a bit fragile.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2014 5:33 PM BST

Remington F3800 Dual Foil Shaver
Remington F3800 Dual Foil Shaver
Offered by EveryDay-Shop

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 10 May 2014
One good thing about this shaver is its modest dimensions. This seems to be an era of gigantic shaving products.
There is something a bit dodgy about wanting a shaver that is twice the size it needs to be!
Don't buy this shaver if you want a fast shave. It takes several minutes even with daily shaving of my average growth pattern.
Charging, as pointed out elsewhere, is poor.
I bought shaver because I was in a hurry. My previous Remington broke and I was horrified at both design and price of the ones on sale at the retail outlet where I bought this.
This will probably be my travel shaver or a spare and I'll invest in something a bit faster and better charging but also, I hope, quite small.

The Theoretical Minimum: What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics
The Theoretical Minimum: What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book ruined by the Kindle - get a second hand iPad 2., 15 Mar. 2014
This book is, for me, almost unreadable on the Kindle Fire HDX because the illustrations and equations are tiny and do not scale with the text..
On my old iPad 2 the two Kindle books I own that show this problem look absolutely fine.
The other affected book is "A Most Incomprehensible Thing: Notes Towards a Very Gentle Introduction to the Mathematics of Relativity".
The same issue seems to occur on the Kindle Paperwhite. (From other reviews read). Obviously publishers will blame Amazon who, in turn, will blame publishers. But I think on balance the Kindle software should be able to cope with all common formats. I understand the problem is to do with use of GIF files in the text.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2014 12:57 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5