Profile for Westo > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Nightclubbing [VINYL]
Nightclubbing [VINYL]
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Iiiiiiit's Grace! Uber cool album back on 180g vinyl!, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Nightclubbing [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I'd not listened to my scratched old vinyl copy of this for years, so was excited to hear of this reissue. Although I've got an ipod for music portability, I prefer to listen to vinyl when at home - yes, I've still got a turtable!

Probably Grace Jones's best & most consistent album with not a duff track in sight. Simultaneously cool and scary, Grace's voice is the perfect accompaniment to Sly & Robbie's reggae vibes. Sexual innuendo aplenty as well - 'Pull up to my bumper baby, with your long black limousine' indeed!

This reissue also has a number of great remixes on the second disc, and even more on the download card! What's not to like?

Selling England By The Pound [VINYL]
Selling England By The Pound [VINYL]

1.0 out of 5 stars Ahaha! If you like Tangerine Dream, you'll love this!!, 24 Oct 2013
Well done Universal/Virgin! You've printed the picture for Genesis on the Tangerine Dream disc and vice versa! Perhaps a future collectible, who knows. At least the download card gives you Genesis!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2013 8:10 AM GMT

Rubycon [VINYL]
Rubycon [VINYL]
Offered by rotationdiscs
Price: 29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality picture disc vinyl pressing, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Rubycon [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is a review for the Virgin 40th Anniversary vinyl picture disc issue (Oct. 2013).

There is a manufacturing fault that means that there are smudges on the vinyl (they look like scuffs but aren't). I expect better quality for the money I've paid so I've returned mine for a refund.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2013 2:33 PM BST

Album [VINYL]
Album [VINYL]
Price: 14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality vinyl pressing, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Album [VINYL] (Vinyl)
There is a manufacturing fault that means that there are smudges on the vinyl (they look like scuffs but aren't). I expect better quality for my money so I've returned it for a refund. Shame, as it's a nice item otherwise.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2013 2:48 PM GMT

Dare! [VINYL]
Dare! [VINYL]
Price: 12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality vinyl pressing, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Dare! [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I agree with the previous reviewer. There is a manufacturing fault that means that there are smudges on the vinyl (they look like scuffs but aren't). You can even see one on the Amazon picture! It also plays at 45rpm rather than 33rpm for some reason. I've returned mine for a refund.

Psychic
Psychic
Price: 9.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing yet slightly unsettling. It definitely grows on you!, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Psychic (Audio CD)
Upon my first listen I was not that impressed. Lots of 'clever' technological noodling with random sounds coming in & out for no particular reason.

I decided to stick with it and listen to it a few more times because I wasn't familiar with these musicians' work or the genres in which they work. It started to click together much more as a whole! The atmosphere of the album is spacious yet claustrophobic at the same time (not quite sure how that works, but it does!) and demands a full listen rather than picking out individual tracks. The first track however, Golden Arrow, is over 11 minutes long but doesn't outstay its welcome. I could happily have another 5 minutes of it, as it does take a bit too long to get going - but when it kicks in it's fantastic. In fact I think a few of the other tracks could have been extended/developed further so that the album is around an hour in length than 45mins.

The build up of sounds throughout the album help create the stage for the music itself, which makes for a fascinating listen. There is some low-end, chest-punching rhythmic bass (which I always love!) and some minimal but really effective blues-y guitar chords. The vocals are echoed and breathy and although fit with the context of the music, never really satisfy. but maybe that's the point!

So, an arty chin-stroking album that's far too clever for its own good, or an intriguing yet slightly unsettling body of work that reveals more & more upon each listen? For me, definitely the latter. I'm glad I stuck with it.

Factory Floor
Factory Floor
Price: 13.66

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype!, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Factory Floor (Audio CD)
I like to think I have broad musical tastes, from punk to electro, classical to dub. Hyped up by various indie record stores as the next ground-breaking 'big thing', this was a long time in the making and eagerly anticipated. Intrigued, I bought a copy. Result? Formulaic, uninspiring, over-repetitive, unoriginal, dare I say grating and even boring! I sent it back. Sorely disappointed!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2013 11:25 PM BST

The Vinyl Collection [VINYL]
The Vinyl Collection [VINYL]
Price: 51.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect collection!, 24 Jun 2013
With the latest fashion for bands to dress up their back catalogue with deluxe box sets and charging the earth for them, this makes a welcome change! The Beat's studio 3LPs plus a 4th with dub mixes in a box slipcase. No bells, whistles, photos, stickers, unecessary unreleased demos etc etc. All at a great price.

Thoroughly worthwhile!

The Terror of Modern Life [Explicit]
The Terror of Modern Life [Explicit]
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Big slab of punch-you-in-the-face punk rock!, 27 May 2013
John Robb and his merry men have produced their best yet! Always loved seeing them live, usually as support for The Stranglers. After this offering, I'll be searching them out for a headline set. Awesome!

A Box of Sugar [VINYL]
A Box of Sugar [VINYL]
Price: 101.30

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star for the service, 5 stars for the product, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: A Box of Sugar [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I ordered this back in September when it was announced, at around 88. The price went down and when it was released earlier this week I was charged 82 under Amazon's price guarantee. Job's a good'un as they say. Or so I thought.

I now find (at the time of writing) that it's being sold at 66! During the first week of release! So I've sent it back for a refund. Treat your customers with a bit of respect Amazon. Just because HMV are going down the khazi doesn't mean you've not got competition.

As for the music, 5 stars. But as it's a re-release (albeit in a different format) you knew that anyway!
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2013 10:32 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2