Profile for steeleym > Reviews

V&A Patterns: The Fifties
V&A Patterns: The Fifties
by Prichard Sue

5.0 out of 5 stars A little book of inspiration, 1 Feb. 2014
A pocket guide to the 1950s. A real little gem, clear whole page prints to make you go OO! for myself it was nostalgic, but for anyone it is a real slice of grandma's house. I could feel the itchy uncut mochete sofa as I flicked through the pages and touch the crisp cotton of the Horrocks' dresses my mother wore. Liberties, Heals and many more. Wonderful and the CD is very useful too.

Dyeing and Screenprinting on Textiles (Printmaking Handbooks)
Dyeing and Screenprinting on Textiles (Printmaking Handbooks)
by Joanna Kinnersly-Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Textiles Printers must have., 1 Feb. 2014
I liked the way the layout took the reader from print room set up, H&S, stocks and supplies, through to print techniques and design ideas. I used this as a constant memory jog, dip in inspiration and technical manual through my 3 years at art school.
Clearly written and well laid out. If you can only afford one book to start with buy this one.

100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet
100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet
by Lesley Stanfield

4.0 out of 5 stars Crochet your own garden!!, 1 Feb. 2014
Excellent way to while away the gloom of winter. Clear instructions, beautiful illustrations and quick, bright, refreshing projects. simple enough for very young beginners and complex enough for the expert Knitter/ Crocheter.

Digital Textile Design (Portfolio Skills)
Digital Textile Design (Portfolio Skills)
by Melanie Bowles

5.0 out of 5 stars Textiles student must have, 1 Feb. 2014
This book helped me no end through the mysteries of digital print and had a direct effect on my hand printing.

The Wedding Dress
The Wedding Dress
by Ehrman Edwina

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a girl in a white frock, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Dress (Hardcover)
Edwina's book was inspirational. I met Edwina at the V&A and she helped me with my ideas for my dissertation. A generous gentlewoman and a fabulous, well researched, beautifully photographed book.

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Personal Edition (PC/Mac)
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Personal Edition (PC/Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars typing for disobedient fingers, 1 Feb. 2014
This is an easy to follow, calming, patiently presented set of tutorials, it saves your work as you go, lets you stop and start as you can fit it in around everything else we try to do, and even teaches you how to stretch before your shoulders reach your ears. My typing has come on a pace and I am more confident at work.
Parcel arrived intact and on time.
Thank you.

Wideacre (Wideacre Trilogy)
Wideacre (Wideacre Trilogy)
by Philippa Gregory

2.0 out of 5 stars Come Back O'Hara all is forgiven, 15 July 2012
I have read several of Miss Gregory's' historic novels and am a huge admirer. However, this dreadful book is a well written but hedonistic quagmire. I did not want to finish it, unheard of for me. I trawled through Gone with the Wind with mild exasperation, but Wideacre will remain unexplored.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2013 12:55 PM GMT

The Costume Technician's Handbook
The Costume Technician's Handbook
by Susan Tsu

5.0 out of 5 stars Wardrobe Technicians Indispensable book of tricks, 15 July 2012
Wardrobe is so much more than "a bit of sewing" and this lovely book has rescued and inspired me for many years and I return to it often. It is indeed a handbook, with clear instruction and a can do, problem solving style: technically- ingenious, H&S aware (in proportion), written with a realistic understanding of the restraints and pressures of backstage deadlines. A bit dated, but gold dust just the same, this book has saved my bacon more than once.

A Respectable Trade
A Respectable Trade
by Philippa Gregory

4.0 out of 5 stars we are all slaves of our own prejudice, 15 July 2012
This review is from: A Respectable Trade (Paperback)
Slaves to the white trader, slaves to money, slaves to desire, slaves to social convention, aspiration and gender. The only free man in the plot is the slave, sure of his faith, race and love. We could learn much from honesty and courage of our own conviction. I sound like Willberforce, but tis true!

by Christine Boydell

5.0 out of 5 stars off the peg and into the history books, 18 April 2012
As a child of the 1960s I grew up surrounded by women who wore these frocks, now at college, studying textiles, my past has become my future as I set about a print project in Homage to the Horrocks style. A well written, beautifully illustrated book. A must for fashion and textiles students. A real diamond of a book for Jubilee year.