Profile for Janie P > Reviews

Horse Music
Horse Music
by Matthew Sweeney

4.0 out of 5 stars there's much to be enjoyed., 21 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Horse Music (Paperback)
I was new to Sweeney and it took a while to get the hang of his surrealist style, but now I find his magical horses and crows are haunting my imagination. This is a collection of vignettes, some of them very real, some of them very surreal: the key is not to read the poems as extended metaphors, but to fall into the worlds created by their strange tales, and let their plots and mood wash over and through you. If you do this, there's much to be enjoyed.

Princes at War: The British Royal Family's Private Battle in the Second World War

1.0 out of 5 stars Why has Princess Mary disappeared?, 14 April 2015
Only one star because this tale of 4 brothers completely ignores the fact that there was also a sister, Princess Mary the Princess Royal. She's entirely absent from this account of the Royal Family's private and public lives, and yet her wikipedia entry suggests she made a large contribution to both. The roles of the 4 brothers during the war are well described but there is silence about hers, even though it was substantial. She also appears to have had strong opinions about the abdication, but you'd never know it from this book. Frankly, you'd never know she even existed from this book.

Such a strange, unexplained deletion of someone who looks like a major player in the tale makes me distrust the book and the author.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2015 9:19 PM BST

The Dream Shall Never Die: 100 Days that Changed Scotland Forever
The Dream Shall Never Die: 100 Days that Changed Scotland Forever

1.0 out of 5 stars Divisive politician, 22 Mar. 2015
He comes across in this book just as he does in public. You either love him or hate him, and I can't abide him or this apologia for tearing a country apart. A little humility would not go amiss.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2015 9:42 PM BST

Under Your Skin
Under Your Skin
by Sabine Durrant

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Sabine Durrant book written in the present tense, ..., 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Under Your Skin (Paperback)
Another Sabine Durrant book written in the present tense, which I find irritating (personal preference I know). So only 1 star from me.

Remember Me This Way
Remember Me This Way
by Sabine Durrant

1.0 out of 5 stars Written in the present tense, which is a personal ..., 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Remember Me This Way (Paperback)
Written in the present tense, which is a personal bugbear of mine. I fully appreciate this may be an idiosyncratic preference, but to me novels written in the present tense (and yes I include Booker Prize winner Wolf Hall) are commentaries, not narratives.

The Shape We're In: How Junk Food and Diets are Shortening Our Lives
The Shape We're In: How Junk Food and Diets are Shortening Our Lives

4.0 out of 5 stars useful addition to tbe growing literature on the obesity epidemic, 16 July 2014
This book strongly makes the case for the actions needed to combat the obesity epidemic. Personally I dont find the reasons for the epidemic that complex: the free market has allowed Big Food to peddle garbage unchecked. The public need educating about what is being done to them, and what they can do about it both as consumers and as voters. This book makes an important contribution to that process.

Fat Chance: The bitter truth about sugar
Fat Chance: The bitter truth about sugar

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changer, 16 July 2014
Reading this book shocked me into giving up all refined sugar, including hidden sugar in processed savory products. I promptly lost 8kg in as many weeks. My BMI returned to normal. I feel terrific. I'd like to thank Dr Lustig for bringing this vital issue to our attention, with the result my life has been permanently transformed.

Finding a Leg to Stand On: New & Selected Poems 1980-2012
Finding a Leg to Stand On: New & Selected Poems 1980-2012
by Connie Bensley

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific collection, a terrific voice, 9 Jun. 2013
Wry, funny, moving, accessible but powerful: Connie Bensley deserves to be better known. I read a lot of modern poetry and this is one of the stand-out collections for me. (NB - I bought it from another retailer who pay UK tax in full.)

Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
by David Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Book of the year, 17 Jan. 2013
In these days when we have good cause to think that a lot of British journalism has behaved in a despicable fashion, it's cheering to read the account of a journalist who doggedly stuck to his guns for over a decade. David Walsh was a lone voice, he was marginalised, but he was proved right. He has done the world a great service.

It's a cracking read and an incredible story.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2014 7:21 AM BST

The Good Wife's Guide: Embracing Your Role as a Help Meet
The Good Wife's Guide: Embracing Your Role as a Help Meet

1.0 out of 5 stars Laughable, 14 Jan. 2013
It's preachy (of course), reductive, and offers a one-dimensional view of the world. It reminds one why the Enlightenment was such a necessity, astonishes one that the Enlightenment has obviously passed parts of America by, and my concluding thoughts on finishing the book were to hope I'm around to see the kids of these women rebel: should be a good fight.

Page: 1 | 2