Profile for Ms. K. Mccarthy > Reviews

Content by Ms. K. Mccarthy

Ms. K. Mccarthy "Kitty katster" (Leeds, UK)

The Farm
The Farm
Price: 5.70

4.0 out of 5 stars good concise thriller, 27 April 2014
This review is from: The Farm (Kindle Edition)
This is a good holiday read. The majority of the story is the mother reciting a story/experience/fantasy? The twist is good and worth the read for the ending. However the eyes and narrator of the book, the son, is rather weak. His part of the story is massively under developed and he comes across as just a vessel to see the story through. In some ways, the author didn't need to make the character gay, or be in the closet to his parents. It didn't alter the story or the plot or how u felt about the revelations.....it was superfluous to the actual book and as previously mentioned massively under developed throughout the book. It's the only negative of the book. It's engaging and you do ask yourself "is she or isn't she?" throughout. I read it in two hours on my kindle by a pool and was great fun however not a patch on his previous books which were much more hard hitting and had greater depth and passion.

Little Girl Lost
Little Girl Lost
Price: 0.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Twists and Turns, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Little Girl Lost (Kindle Edition)
Great book. Downloaded for free so was a little sceptical as some of the free ones can be dire BUT very pleasantly surprised. Excellent police drama/murder thriller. Really engaging and twists and turns I never guessed or saw coming and I am very seasoned thriller reader. Lucy the main character is very engaging and you feel and care about her and her plight from page one. Interesting reading also with the NI backdrop and references to the Troubles. All fascinating and am about to go and read another Brian Mcgilloway right now!

The Bat: The First Harry Hole Case (Harry Hole 1)
The Bat: The First Harry Hole Case (Harry Hole 1)
Price: 3.66

1.0 out of 5 stars Unholey, 7 April 2013
Not very good at all. So slow and completely precious about how well Jo Nesbo seems to know Sydney and Oz. I live in Sydney and was quite excited about the setting of this book but the stereotypical characters and tediousness of the constant name dropping of suburbs was very irritating. Perhaps because I live here and know the place well, it couldn't quite be such an imaginary story for me and reality kicked in too much. However this is by far and away Nesbo's worst Hole book and am sooooo very pleased all the others improved dramatically. Perhaps THAT'S the reason why this one only got translated into English recently......

The Accident
The Accident
Price: 5.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Accidentally Awful, 7 April 2013
This review is from: The Accident (Kindle Edition)
Crap. Was bored half way through and didn't care what happened to any character. Very disappointed as I have love all Barclay books previously and used to rant on and on about how gripping they were. Not this one. Don't waste your money.

Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren 6)
Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren 6)
Price: 3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Twists and Red Herrings with No Dragon Tatoos, 7 April 2013
Great fun read. Had slight reservations as I often do with free books like this but was very entertaining and thrilling. As soon as you thought you knew who did it, you changed your mind. Having ready many many crime thrillers with some so blatantly obvious, its quite fun to be surprised. Well written for what it is so anyone who is put off by the trashy cover, don't be. It's a good fun read and the heroine/villain(?)reminds me a little bit of Lisbeth Salander which is clearly a compliment. Download and enjoy.

Kafka On The Shore (Vintage Magic)
Kafka On The Shore (Vintage Magic)
by Haruki Murakami
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Blew My Mind, 14 Oct 2006
Have literally just come out of the book and finished the final page. Straight online to share my thoughts and find out others. One of the most beuatiful books I have ever read. Sitting on the bus going to work and I open the book and I am completely taken in - forget where I am. Am very confused at the conclusion of the novel. My immediate reaction was that the village Kafka was taken to was based where the children all fell unconcious and lost their memories as memories do not exist there. That it was a place special people went to when they found the stone or a dreamlike place where you could go subconciously??? I actually have no idea as then I think about Nakata and where he went to when he died etc... All too raw and fresh in mind. All I will say is that I will ALSO be very annoying and pester all my friends to read the book and try and find a brain that has read it to analyse with.