Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for Robin Davies > Reviews

Content by Robin Davies

Robin Davies

Malignant Medical Myths: Why Medical Treatment Causes 200,000 Deaths in the Usa Each Year.
by Joel Kauffman PhD

5.0 out of 5 stars Medical eye-opener, 26 April 2009
I bought this book out of curiosity. Probably it was the slightly un-British title that attracted me, plus the reviews elsewhere.

This book is an incredible eye-opener to both the nonsense often pedalled in doctors' sugeries and the hold that the Drugs industry appears to have over the NHS and Government.

It is such a good and challenging read that I feel it really is a must-have if you're interested in the effect upon your body of government targets and the drugs pushed at us by doctors in order to tick the target boxes.

Many others (such as Dr Malcolm Kendrick and Prof Uffe Ravnskov) have written on the cholesterol and statin cult - see the Kendrick videos on YouTube) and Prof Kauffman's chapter on that is a good place to start. Another good place to start is the chapter on hypertension (high blood pressure).

A challenging read with dozens of references to papers and studies, this book rewards your persistence in reading about each of the Myths.

Fantastic book worth every penny.

Natural Health and Weight Loss
Natural Health and Weight Loss
by Barry Groves

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this and change your life, 26 April 2009
Dr Barry Groves (whose PhD is in Nutritional Science) has written a fine book in the tradition of Dr Richard MacKarness's book "Eat Fat & grow thin". It's accurate, completely backed by hard science and sweeps away all the nonsense pedalled by dieticians you read in magazines, newspapers and bump into in your GP's surgery.

I don't think that it's an exaggeration to say that it could not only change your life (and body!), but could well save your life.

The book is not just packed with the science that substantiates his views, but it is easy to read, enjoyable and the sort of book you come back. I've read it 3 times so far.

When I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes I saw the dietician in our GP practice. I knew straightaway from previous reading that the high-carb & low-fat diet she was telling me about was nonsense. The body just converts carbohydrate (and the sugar-packed fruit we're supposed to eat) into glucose. Up goes your blood-glucose level. Exactly what you don't need.

Having used the Atkin Diet for weight loss (successfully) I find Groves' approach gentler but equally valid and successful.

There are really only two words to say about this book: buy it.

Sony RDR-HXD890 Freeview+ 160GB Hard Disc Drive DVD Recorder - Black
Sony RDR-HXD890 Freeview+ 160GB Hard Disc Drive DVD Recorder - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite perfect, 26 Feb. 2009
I recently bought this item to go with my Sony Bravia 32" LCD tv in order to shift away from the old CRT tele, video recorder, DVD player and separate Freeview box - plus assorted leads & switches.

The RDR-HXD890 was extremely easy to install. I just connected it to the tv with a SCART lead & an aerial and switched it on. It just installed itself.

A careful read of the manual in order to understand what buttons to press on the remote and when (and with a Sony tv I can use the recorder remote to control both), and recording on the hard disk has been easy. I've not used the DVD recorder for recording programmes, but it plays dvds as easily as one might expect.

My only regret with the RDR-HXD890 has been that it only has one Freeview tuner. This means that only one programme can be recorded at a time. This is a serious weakness in the Sony range of hard disc recorders and means I might change to a Humax PVR 9300 and give the Sony to my son.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2009 5:32 AM GMT