Profile for John S > Reviews

Snyder's Cheddar Cheese Pretzel Pieces 125g - 10 pack
Snyder's Cheddar Cheese Pretzel Pieces 125g - 10 pack
Offered by We Luv Shopping

5.0 out of 5 stars THESE ARE SOOOOOO GOOOD!!!!, 20 July 2016
These are hard to find - but they are so worth it! They are absolutely delicious. I don't really like the normal snack pretzels you can buy from supermarkets, but these are just so good. They are really crunchy, and that's what makes them an absolute treat for me!

I take these on holiday with me as a snack for when I get hungry - they're more filling than crisps and taste so much better. Just note that with the cheese flavour it will cover your fingers with the seasoning - so just have a tissue ready if you are out and about whilst eating these.

Each pack is 125g - and they last a while from the moment you open them! Fantastic treat!

I also recommend the honey mustard & onion flavour.

I really really hope they make these a lot easier to find in supermarkets. Good for presents as well - a lot of people seem to really like these.

Colour Catcher Economy Pack (Pack of 2)
Colour Catcher Economy Pack (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be without it!, 10 May 2016
I hate washing clothes because of all the hassle of separating them by colours etc, but after buying this I no longer have that problem! I can mix all clothes without having to worry about the colours. It is eco friendly because you have less washes (and cheaper because of your electricity bill!).

The actual colour catcher comes out the wash all pink, or dark grey, so it definitely works. And best of all - all my clothes are still the same colours! I only ever use 1 per wash, and it works an absolute treat.

Now... if only I could stop shrinking my clothes ................................
.....

ROK Espresso Coffee Maker
ROK Espresso Coffee Maker
Offered by Design 55 online

5.0 out of 5 stars Just get it already! Seriously, just get it!, 3 April 2016
This review is from: ROK Espresso Coffee Maker
I purchased this because, well, I love my coffee. I was tired of the noise my noisy espresso machine was making, and trying to keep it clean was rather annoying.

It is a bit pricey, but compared to other espresso machines that can produce quality this good, it is an absolute bargain!

- THE BUILD QUALITY
The build quality is superb! Apparently it is made from engine-grade metal so it is virtually indestructible. The container itself is plastic so a little bit disappointing, but at least it won't shatter like glass if I drop it I guess. But it feels so well built!

- EASE OF USE
Surprisingly I find this really easy to use. It does take quite a bit of learning, but it really is worth it! You see; most cheap domestic espresso machines produce a fake crema which in my opinion tastes horrible. This does not have that device, so the crema you get is genuine! When you see Crema forming, well done, you've made a great shot of espresso! The levers are not hard at all to press down, and it does rather feel very satisfying when pushing the levers down. Sometimes I find that the ground coffee in an espresso machine is really hard to knock out of the portafilter, but this is very easy.

- COFFEE QUALITY
The first shot I pulled from this was rubbish, it had no crema on it. However, I was really surprised because it tasted a lot better than an espresso from my electric espresso machine! It doesn't produce a fake crema, so the espresso you can get from this is the same as from starbucks etc (i.e. a much more expensive coffee machine which can even cost thousands!) After a bit of practice, you'll be making fantastic quality espresso! Now, I use preground espresso coffee, but I am planning to purchase a hand grinder (from Rok as well) and grind my own beans as this will greatly improve the taste. There's a lot of video tutorials on youtube showing how to pull a shot of espresso from this machine to help you, even from the designer himself!

- MILK FROTHER
Get rid of it and buy yourself a bodum one. I read reviews saying that the milk frother is rubbish, and it is unfortunately. I have used it a few times, and whilst it does froth milk, it doesn't really froth the milk that well, and mine makes a really annoying squeak when using it. I ordered myself a bodum milk frother which will do the job much better. I'm sorry that I'm so negative about the milk frother, but it is really disappointing. You can even buy yourself an electric milk frother similar to Nespresso's one, but I won't bother because I have a microwave to heat up the milk any way, and if I wanted to go camping (jeez, me camping! but you never know!) then I could still use the bodum one as it's not electrical.

==================

Overall, I am chuffed with this purchase! I have and will be making espresso every day with this machine. The espresso is absolutely delicious, not to mention the latte's and cappuccino's! Also the 10 year warranty is just fantastic! Isn't it good when the warranty is long? That way you know that the company behind it believes in it. Get it get it get it!

Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel 600ml Jug
Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel 600ml Jug
Offered by Nextday Catering Equipment Supplies

1.0 out of 5 stars HANDLE FELL OFF!, 20 Mar. 2016
Handle fell off after using it about 3 times. Need I say more?

De'Longhi EC270 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine
De'Longhi EC270 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it, get it, get it!, 20 Mar. 2016
I love my coffee. I've owned many different espresso machines in the past, and this is one which I truly love!

I really like the De'Longhi brand - they always seem to produce fantastic quality products when it comes to coffee making. I've owned a De'Longhi EC155 in the past which I loved, but unfortunately I sold to get a pod machine (biggest mistake of my life!)

So I started looking for a DeLonghi espresso machine, and found this at a good price, so I thought why not. I don't mind investing on espresso machines because they produce coffee shop quality coffee, and if you buy coffee regularly from cafes/coffee shops, then you'll save the money you spent on the machine really quickly!

Isn't how you spend money nowadays really important? People want to get the best value they can - and by using an espresso machine like this, you will save tons! I calculated the price of an espresso shot from my nespresso machine and compared it to this. Using compatible nespresso capsules, it would cost me just under 30p a shot. Now, if I go to my local supermarket and buy their own brand espresso coffee which by the way is very nice, I can make an espresso shot for 7.5p! So already, the savings are huge! If I make an espresso once a day, it would cost me £9.30 a month using the nespresso machine. But using this machine, it would only cost me £2.33! That's a huge saving! I get through about 3 or 4 cups a day, so actually I'm saving a lot! Not to mention how better this is on the environment...

Enough about cost :) ! Just thought I'd mention it in case you were considering getting a capsule machine such as the nespresso.

The machine is extremely quiet. The first time you use it it is very noisy because the boiler is brand new and therefore empty. But after the first use, it is so quiet! That's what I love about De'Longhi machines; the ones I've used are so quiet!

The heat up time is very quick and it automatically turns itself off just in case you forget. The buttons light up when it is ready. There is a hot plate at the top, but realistically it takes about 5/10 minutes to heat up, so I leave my machine on for about 5 minutes before using it (with my espresso cup on the hot plate). Keeping your espresso cup hot is very important because espresso is a small volume drink and so it gets cold very quickly.

It comes with a scoop and a tamper in one. For a single shot of espresso, use the single shot filter and one scoop of coffee, and for a double shot use the double shot filter with 2 scoops of coffee.

You have to use pre-ground coffee. You can use ESE pods as the single shot filter also acts as an ESE pod holder, but I wouldn't bother. The price of ESE pods are roughly the same as capsules for say a nespresso machine, and I used about 5 just to try them and see what results I get, and it was surprising. Some turnt out really good, but with disappointing crema. Some just came out really watery, so I presume it wasn't positioned correctly although I don't see why as it looked perfectly fine. I used ILLY pods as well. So I don't think I will bother with ESE pods, but it's good having that option right?

Now the milk frother is one reason why I purchased this over another EC155. It's a lot easier to clean (just swivel and it comes off) rather than having to unscrew it like with the EC155. It is a lot more powerful and produces some extremely good frothed milk. It is the same sort of steam wand you get in some very expensive machines. It is a pannarello steam wand. Some people may ask "what's that?" but it simply makes milk frothing a lot easier for you. It has a hole near the top which sucks air, and it simply pushes that air out of the end of the steam wand to froth the milk. You simply stop frothing the milk when your jug gets too hot to touch. You can also pour hot water from the steam wand by pressing the espresso shot button and opening the steam wand up with the lever just in case someone wants tea or you want to make an americano.

In terms of looks, the machine looks stunning. The build quality is very good.

TASTE TEST: I made myself a latte with this machine, and I also used my nespresso machine to produce a latte to compare. Now, I thought the nespresso produced good coffee, but I was wrong. The nespresso seems to produce weaker coffee than this. The coffee from this espresso machine is simply remarkable.

Are there any negatives? My only annoying thing is how stiff the portafilter is to lock into place. However, this loosens up overtime and becomes easier to lock (it's the same with the other espresso machines I have owned).

Get it, get it, get it!! You won't look back! I wish I purchased this much sooner.

Logitech Keyboard K120 for Business - UK layout
Logitech Keyboard K120 for Business - UK layout

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic keyboard!, 13 Mar. 2016
This is a really good keyboard - it isn't silent but I don't like silent keyboards. I was given one of these for work and just loved it so much that I decided to buy one for home. It's a bargain for the price. You don't need to install drivers etc, it is just plug and play.

All the buttons on the UK keyboard are where you expect them to be.

Highly recommended!

AmazonBasics Coffee Machine with 1 Litre Insulated Jug
AmazonBasics Coffee Machine with 1 Litre Insulated Jug

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too basic..., 27 Feb. 2016
This produces a decent tasting coffee, but I believe that AmazonBasics could have done a much better job at designing this.

Firstly, the thermal flask is what is expected to keep the coffee hot. It doesn't have a hot plate. This has a few benefits:
- If you are like me who makes coffee for yourself regularly, then there is no point for a hot plate as I drink it straight away
- Cheaper on electricity

So ideally, you need to drink the coffee within about 20 minutes. Some people complain that the coffee isn't too hot, but to me this isn't really a problem as I don't want it to be boiling hot. I like to make my coffee and down it as quickly as possible in the mornings!

It really is a basic coffee machine - it'll make filter coffee (and isn't that what you want from a filter coffee machine)!

Because there is no timer or anything like that, you can turn it off at the mains without having to worry about having to reset the time each time.

Overall, it depends on the sort of coffee drinker you are. If you want your coffee to last for about 1 hour, you will struggle with this as there is no hot plate. But if you are preparing coffee for a meal, or for yourself where you know the coffee will be drank rather quickly, then this is definitely something you should be looking at.

It's good, but I think it is a bit too basic.

Rosewood Naturals Carrot Cottage Guinea Pig House, Medium
Rosewood Naturals Carrot Cottage Guinea Pig House, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for guinea pigs, 10 Feb. 2016
Purchased these for my 2 young guinea pigs and they absolutely love it. They use it to sleep inside and they chew on it a lot. They tend to climb up and eat the carrots at the top as well!

Definitely a good buy - lasts about 1 month.

Melitta 1011-07 Look IV Timer Coffee Filter Machine, White
Melitta 1011-07 Look IV Timer Coffee Filter Machine, White
Offered by zecasa

4.0 out of 5 stars Get it if you love coffee!, 24 Jan. 2016
This makes really good coffee. The water is evenly distributed when it hits the coffee grounds and because of this it makes the coffee taste so much better. The timer and everything else is very easy to set up. It feels like a good quality product from a well known brand when it comes to coffee.

You can set the auto off to 20 mins, 40 mins or 1 hour - so I like how they've given you this option.

So why only 4 stars?
- It isn't in my opinion the nicest LOOKing (see what I did there!) coffee machines, but it does look rather smart any way.
- Where you pour the water in is rather small, but as long as you're careful you will be fine.
- It doesn't include a reusable filter and a scoop. Personally, I use paper filters so this isn't a problem, but most coffee makers tend to include both of these

If you're looking for a good filter coffee machine, then I highly recommend this. It feels like it is built to last. I've had a lot of machines, and I can tell you that the reason I purchased this one was because a similar machine from a very reputable company broke after 2 weeks of usage(!), the text buttons were erasing from use etc. However, I feel with the features they've added such as the buttons having engraved text rather than just printed on, a descaling program etc, the manufacturer has built it to last for a very very long time to come.

Russell Hobbs 20682 Legacy Coffee Maker, 1.25 L - Metallic Red
Russell Hobbs 20682 Legacy Coffee Maker, 1.25 L - Metallic Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended - best tasting filter coffee I've ever had!, 14 Jan. 2016
I recently had to go to a garage to get my car serviced, and I saw that they had this coffee machine in use and thought that it looked really nice!

So when I got home, I searched for Russell Hobbs filter coffee machines and found it, so I went out and purchased it.

I wasn't expecting anything special, especially for the price. I own quite a lot of filter coffee machines but I wanted to try one with a timer, and as it wasn't too expensive I thought I couldn't go wrong.

When I received the box, I saw a few very interesting features about it. Firstly and most importantly it has an advanced brewing system. This system basically helps spray water across much more of the ground coffee where as most filter coffee machines just use and over-extract the ground coffee near the middle (hence why you get a bitter taste). So this is a fantastic feature and other models which has a similar feature when it comes to spraying water across more ground coffee costs more than twice the price of this machine. I can't express enough how important this feature is and how much better it will make your coffee taste.

The second interesting feature is that it is fast, and it certainly is just that! It brews coffee a lot faster than my other filter coffee machines, and oddly enough it doesn't make the coffee taste bad. The coffee from this machine is just superb!

If you're looking at this model, you probably want to use the timer function, and I can tell you now that it is extremely easy to set up! There's no buttons you have to hold or anything like that, instead there are 2 buttons, H (hours) and M (minutes) which you just press to adjust. You then have to press the timer button (looks like a clock) and use the hour and minutes button to set up the time you want the coffee to brew, then the time saves itself. Every night you can just then press the 'auto' button to make it automatically brew coffee at the time you specified. Note that the time stays the same unless you change it, so you don't have to keep resetting the time.

The jug is a nice size which has a maximum of '15' coffee cups. Roughly about 2 or 3 cup sizes can fill a mug, so essentially a full jug can provide about 5 mugs of coffee. You want 1 scoop of coffee per indicated cup (you can look at the side of the machine to see how much water is in there if you forgot). So for 15 cups of coffee, you want 15 scoops. Speaking about scoops, I love how the scoop sits on the side of the machine so you won't lose it or have to look for it.

Now, the machine comes with a reusable filter, but I personally never use these. Once you've tried filter paper, you can tell the differences in taste and so I've always used filter papers as I think they improve the taste dramatically. If you are after filter paper, you just get size 4's. Not to mention that it is so much better to just chuck away the coffee grounds and the used filter paper than having to clean out the filter (then again, I'm just lazy!)

When you open the lid up, the moisture drips down into the water tank as it is cleverly designed, so you don't have to worry about moisture getting all over your table.

The coffee served is delicious and is hot! If I remember correctly, it turns itself off within 40 minutes which is a great feature. After this time, the coffee would've just tasted horrible and bitter anyway. There are ways to turn the hot plate back on after 40 minutes, but I wouldn't personally recommend it.

The design is very very good and looks really nice to have in your kitchen. It is a decent size and not too big so it fits in my kitchen perfectly.

I've heard of people owning and using the same filter coffee machines for 20 years, so don't worry about the price of this machine as it's very good for what you get and is an investment that will last you for many years to come. Just remember to regularly descale it (about once a month) using the auto-cleaning function. The instructions tell you what to do - and in fact it talks about using vinegar, but I would personally just go out and purchase some proper descaler as vinegar may end up affecting the taste of your coffee...

I hope this review has helped. I highly recommend this machine!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14