Profile for John S > Reviews

Smart Coffee Club Nespresso® Compatible Coffee Pods 6 x 10 Livorno
Smart Coffee Club Nespresso® Compatible Coffee Pods 6 x 10 Livorno
Offered by Sarahs Coffee Company

3.0 out of 5 stars Good coffee, but you get what you pay for, 16 Aug 2014
I hate to compare based on prices, but when it comes to buying compatibles, the main reason is due to price. These work out at about 24/25p a capsule according to their website, which is about 4/5p less than original nespresso capsules.

So, what do you lose/gain for this 4/5p per capsule saving?

Firstly, these capsules are individually sealed. You might be thinking that this is a good thing, but once you take the capsule out, you'll see why it's individually sealed: the holes are already there and so you may get a few coffee grounds falling out, so you lose the tidyness of using capsules.

Next, the coffee tastes nice and smooth, but not really as good as nespresso's original ones.

After trying multiple different compatible capsules, these fit perfectly in my Citiz machine, some compatible brands can be a bit too big but still fit.

In my opinion, stick with nespresso, you get what you pay for. Unfortunately to me, these capsules are way too expensive when you can get some better compatibles at an even cheaper price. I want capsules where I can just take the capsule and put them in the machine. I don't want the hassle of having to take it out of the box, unwrap it then throw the wrapper in the bin, then put it in my machine.

Also becaused these are individually wrapped, you cannot put these in a nespresso capsule stand. Remember that once you open the wrapper, the capsule has holes so you start losing freshness quite quickly. A benefit of nespresso and other compatible capsules is that they are just pierced as soon as they are inside the machine so you are getting very fresh coffee.

Playboy VIP Eau De Toilette for Men - 100 ml
Playboy VIP Eau De Toilette for Men - 100 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Smells very nice!, 15 Aug 2014
Really surprised with how good this smells! Like another reviewer has mentioned, smells like One Million at a much lower price! Very nice smell, very nice price. The smell lasts for approximately 4 hours, so a reasonable amount of time but you can put a lot on without breaking the bank.

Normally with cheaper perfume, they smell in my opinion more like a deodorant, but this has really surprised me with how premium it smells!

Definitely give it a try and don't be put off by the cheap price tag because it certainly doesn't smell cheap!

Speedlink Spes Clip-On Microphone
Speedlink Spes Clip-On Microphone
Offered by eoutlet-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic microphone especially for DSLR videos!, 9 Aug 2014
I purchased this microphone to connect directly into my Canon 550D so I could add some voice notes to the home videos I record, and I am actually very surprised. The sound quality I now get since plugging this in is superb! Your voice ends up sounding like you've recorded yourself in a professional recording studio.

There is no popping noises when you speak, and what surprised me is to test it, I attached it to my shirt and left the TV on quite a loud volume, and you could hear my voice loud and clear, but could hardly even make out the TV! So I think this microphone would be very good outside with a lot of background noise such as other people talking etc.

It is a nice small compact size with a fairly long cable so you can be quite far away from the camera. It is very portable and the clip is strong (not the cheap plastic I originally expected it to be!) The small size also means that it won't be a nuisance when attached.

It comes in a blister pack, and whilst I hate this type of packaging all I had to do was just use scissors to cut the top off and then just pull the 2 sides apart which actually came apart very easily.

For the price, an absolute bargain! You won't be disappointed.

Nespresso CitiZ and Milk by Magimix M190 - Cream
Nespresso CitiZ and Milk by Magimix M190 - Cream

4.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic little coffee machine!, 26 July 2014
I love coffee, and I have used bean to cup machines, other pod machines, espresso machines etc, and I have to say, this is a winner!

If you're wondering whether to get this or a Tassimo or a Dolce Gusto, by all means get this. The espresso from the Tassimo just tastes awful - it is more like an espresso blend rather than a 'genuine' espresso. This machine right here brews a genuine espresso, the same as what you can get in coffee shops! In fact, in my honest opinion it beats what some coffee shops call coffee!

The milk frother is fantastic as well and easy to clean. It is automatic so it stops when it is at the correct temperature, and you get fantastic foam. I am really surprised. I have seen people say that it is hard to clean the milk frother, so here is how I do it:

1 - Empty any excess milk etc
2 - Just rinse it out to get rid of as much milk left over as you can
3 - Fill it up about half way with cold water
4 - Close the lid and shake it carefully for about 10 seconds - very important step
5 - Empty the water, and done! It should be clean now.

Literally less than 20 seconds to clean! The trick is to fill it up with water, put the lid on and shake it as it gets rid of the stubborn milk stuck on the sides etc. You have to remember to clean it straight after using it.

The machine looks superb and isn't too big. It just uses 1 cable to supply power to both the machine and the milk frother.

The latte and cappucinos it makes are just amazing! I haven't tasted better beverages in coffee shops, and now I get them at home.

It isn't noisy too. Okay, it does make noise, but it won't wake people up or anything like that. The first second can be quite noisy but once it starts pushing water through the pod it is nearly silent.

I love the fact that the pods just go in a dump box automatically and I would say you don't have to empty this until there are about 10 pods in there. It is great because I found with Dolce Gusto where you have to throw away the pods straight after using them they leak whilst walking up to the bin! With this machine, just take the tray and chuck them all into the bin (don't forget that you should recycle them!)

You do get a starter pack to try some very good coffee. I recommend Cosi and Volluto for lattes and cappucinos because they're not too strong and give a wonderful flavour.

The 3 year warranty just tells me that the manufacturer has some faith in this machine so you can expect that this will make you coffee for at least another 3 years from purchase! What an investment. Think about how much you will save from coffee shops. Each pod costs roughly about 29p from nespresso (you need to buy from them directly) so they're a lot cheaper than coffee shops. You can get compatible pods as well if you want to save some more money.

Why did I go to a pod machine? You don't have to worry about coffee grounds going all over the place, making a mess etc. It's very tidy.

So why only 4 stars? You can't get these pods in supermarkets which is a huge shame. Hopefully they will start doing it, but I don't think they will.

Overall, this machine is great. If you're a latte / cappucino lover like me, you're in for a treat! You have to remember that other pod machines use powdered milk etc and it ruins the taste. This is a genuine coffee machine which produces the same coffee as what you would expect from your coffee shop. Get it for yourself, get it for your relatives or friends as a present... It is such a good little machine which has really surprised me!

Melitta Easy Top Filter Coffee Machine - Black
Melitta Easy Top Filter Coffee Machine - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic coffee machine!, 10 Jun 2014
Firstly and most importantly, this came with an EU plug so I had to purchase an adapter to use it. However, as this is a product review I'm not going to let an inconvenience affect the 5 star rating I am going to give it.

Melitta are very well known for making some fantastic coffee makers and they certainly do not disappoint with this coffee maker! There are 2 variants of this: the easy and the easy top. They both share the same functionality, but for the extra price of this one (Easy Top) you get steel elements.

The coffee is brewed at optimum temperature and is very hot. This helps to make the flavour and aroma fantastic! I highly recommend that you get some of Melitta's genuine filter paper (you need 1x4 for this) as this can help with the flavour.

This DOES NOT come with a reusable filter which in my opinion is good because I have always had poor filtering when using one of these (not to mention the reduced flavour!). This means you must use filter paper (size 4's fit perfectly, and as mentioned above you can use melitta 1x4 filter papers).

The quality of this product is amazing. At its price range I expected it to feel poorly made, but I was definitely wrong! The jug feels great to hold and doesn't leak when pouring it (and believe me I pour the water very quick!). The lid of the jug opens up to nearly as far as the handle so it is very easy to clean. It looks absolutely stunning and is a small size so you can fit it under wall mounted cupboards. The entire lid has to open up to fill the water tank, but you cannot change the filter this way as there is the water dispenser tube in the way (where it sprays the water onto the coffee grounds). You have to open the filter door by sliding it open like a door and change it this way which is what I like. The only issue is that because the whole lid opens, it needs a bit of a big space above for clearance.

There is a lot of space when you open the lid to pour the water in - so you won't make your wrist ache trying to pour it in a little hole or spill water over your table.

All in all, I wish I purchased this much sooner. If you don't want the steel elements but don't mind having just plastic, have a look at the Melitta Easy which is all plastic.

I hope this review has helped you to decide whether to purchase this or not.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 10:24 PM BST

Morphy Richards Compliments 47049 Filter Coffee Maker - Graphite
Morphy Richards Compliments 47049 Filter Coffee Maker - Graphite

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice coffee, shame about the poor design, 9 Jun 2014
If you're looking for a simple way of making coffee then look no further. This Morphy Richards filter coffee maker features a timer which allows you to set it to make coffee at a certain time and is very simple to program.

There is a dial at the top which allows you to adjust the strength of the coffee. This affects the water flow, but unfortunately doesn't really do much - or at least I haven't noticed any differences.

It comes with a reusable filter, but I prefer filter paper (you can use size 4) as these are much more convenient as you just chuck it away straight after and in my opinion filters a lot better than the reusable filters.

The coffee tastes great, you can really taste the flavour of the coffee. Some reviewers state that the coffee isn't very hot, but my advice is to just let the heating plate warm the coffee up after it has brewed for about 2 minutes as it makes it even hotter. Coffee has to be made at a certain temperature to produce a good flavour, and this coffee machine does just that. I have an old coffee machine which makes very hot coffee but the flavour has been lost due to the brewing temperature being too hot, so just because this machine may not produce a piping hot drink as soon as you make coffee it doesn't matter as the flavour is present in your coffee.

The jug is nice and feels strong. It shows you the number of cups on the side of the jug so no more estimating. The only problem is opening the top. It's not really a problem, but there's nothing you hold down and it opens up like on other coffee machines. Instead you have to put your finger in the pouring spout and pull it open.

The entire top opens for the water and the coffee unlike some machines which has a swivel filter holder. This is fine, but if you are going to place this under a wall mounted cupboard then it can be tricky to pour the water into the machine as there is a hole you pour the water into when you open up the lid. Whilst I can still open up the lid nearly to the maximum under my wall mounted cupboard, it can sometimes be very tricky to pour the entire water contents from my jug into the machine so I often have to pour the remaining water back into the sink.

It's a big machine, a lot bigger than others I have had so if space is an issue for you then I would personally look at another coffee machine.

Another huge downside which is enough for me to purchase another coffee machine instead is moisture! Annoyingly, Morphy Richards hasn't designed the top correctly to allow moisture to drip back into the machine. Instead, moisture will drip onto the back of the machine where the wire is, so it is very annoying to have to wipe the back down each time. Other coffee machines I have used has designed the lid so the moisture will go down a path back into the water tank. It's just a shame Morphy Richards hasn't done this. My advice is to open the lid up slowly to minimize moisture leaking onto the back.

Overall, it's a nice machine that produces fantastic tasting coffee! It is very convenient with having a timer and looks very modern in your kitchen! It's just a huge shame about some downsides which could have easily been prevented, but in my opinion it looks like Morphy Richards has had a "that will do" attitude when designing this. However, for the price it is a very good machine and is suitable for entertaining guests or just your every day coffee.

I hope this review helps you to make your decision in whether to purchase this product or not.

The Self Stirring Mug
The Self Stirring Mug
Offered by Gadget Grotto

5.0 out of 5 stars These are fantastic!, 28 May 2014
I bought this for myself because I wanted a nice sized mug then found this, and thought it looked very interesting! I'm really not disappointed at all!

It has a sipping lid which keeps your drink hot, and actually the 'stirrer' does a very good job as you can see a whirlpool being formed and hear it mixing up! It's not a blade or anything sharp so it is fine for young children.

It has a nice presentable box which is suitable for wrapping.

The button is nice and is very sensitive so you don't have to dig your fingers in to get it to stir.

It uses 2 AAA batteries which can be purchased from any store. They go at the bottom of the cup but is locked away, but when cleaning you should be careful not to submerge it in water, just rinse it out. It is NOT dishwasher safe.

Unlike other mugs, you can drop this without smashing it to pieces! It is lightweight and feels like it will last for a long time.

Only downside? I have a feeling that I'm going to drink more coffee and tea!

Lavazza Qualita Rossa Coffee 500 g (Pack of 2)
Lavazza Qualita Rossa Coffee 500 g (Pack of 2)
Offered by WARM TOUCH STORES LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice coffee!, 23 May 2014
I purchased this coffee for my filter coffee machine. This is pre-ground coffee so you don't need a coffee grinder.

I've always had 100% arabica coffee, but thought I'd try this for once (it is 70% arabica, 30% robusta). Robusta has slightly more caffeine than arabica, so it can give you a bit more of a boost after drinking your cup of coffee.

The taste surprised me, I actually love it! There's no bitterness, and it tastes nutty / chocolatey perfect for any moment! Just be sure that you are using the correct amount (1 measured spoonful per cup, or 1 tablespoon per cup) and you'll get a nice smooth taste.

I purchased directly from Amazon, and can confirm that you get 2 bags of 500g (total of 1kg), so you get plenty of coffee!

The only reason I have given this 4 stars is because of the fineness of the grind. Lavazza preground always seem to be ground very finely to a point where my filter coffee machine just has to drip slowly rather than consistently with a fairly fast flow. But surprisingly this tastes fantastic! A fine ground allows you to have a coffee with more flavour to it. I really wouldn't recommend this for a cafetiere though, it's just too fine. If you are using a filter coffee machine, I highly recommend that you use filter papers as this helps to reduce / prevent the number of grounds going through to your cup.

So overall, this coffee tastes absolutely fantastic! It's just a shame that it's a bit too finely ground but this does also have its benefits. For espresso machines and filter coffee makers the grind is good, but for a cafetiere it's just a bit too fine in my opinion. Lavazza are a very well respected coffee brand, and they certainly do not disappoint!

Premier Housewares Azure Milk and Sugar Set - Blue
Premier Housewares Azure Milk and Sugar Set - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, just ashame about packaging, 20 May 2014
I purchased this to make it easier and tidier when making coffee for family/friends. I was surprised by the quality as it's actually very nice and feels quite heavy, but unfortunately when I received mine the bottom of the milk jar had smashed off / chipped away - luckily it was only a small amount so I decided to keep it as it wasn't really affecting the usability of it and for the price it would be too much hassle to get it sent back.

I highly recommend that you buy a small tray for these as well, so you can carry the sugar, milk and cups of coffee or tea all at once in a neat place.

Overall, for the price this product gets top marks! It feels strong, looks great and the milk jug doesn't leak when pouring! It's just a bit let down by the packaging as there was only a small amount of bubble wrap protecting it, but when you take the bubble wrap off the case isn't very strong either and can easily damage the set.

illy 18 Individually Packaged Ground Coffee Portions (Pack of 2, Total 36 Servings)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, perfect espresso!, 3 May 2014
I own a DeLonghi espresso machine which is compatible with ESE pods. I have mostly used pre-ground Illy coffee in the past but struggle pulling a perfect shot as mine is either bitter or sour. It's very rare I pull the perfect shot.

I decided to give these coffee pods a try as they are much easier to tidy up rather than banging early in the morning trying to get rid of the coffee grounds in the filter basket. I originally thought that because these are pods they're not going to taste very nice. Wow, was I wrong! These taste perfect, not bitter or sour. The aroma is excellent. I have made a Cappuccino and Mocha and I must say, this pod has really made a big difference to the espresso taste!

The problem with using pre-ground coffee or coffee you have ground yourself is that you have to tamp correctly and put the correct amount in. It doesn't really matter with a pressurized system such as that you get with most home espresso machine but I found that if I barely tamped, the water would get through really quickly leading to an awful tasting espresso even with a pressurized system (I have a DeLonghi EC155). What amazed me was that when I used these pods, the water / coffee flows through slowly, hence extracting a lot of flavour but not too much. You must stop the espresso machine when the coffee starts to look brighter in colour / blonde. Luckily, these pods take away the worry of whether you have put enough coffee in the filter basket and if you have tamped correctly.

Because it is in a pod, the coffee is already ground correctly (finely ground for espresso) and packed / tamped together correctly. These 2 work hand in hand to produce a perfect espresso without having to have any input from you (apart from having to put it in the ESE filter basket of course!).

As you can expect, it doesn't make a mess, you just have to throw the used pod in the bin. The instructions are very clear and tell you that you should insert the pod in the filter so the illy logo is at the top. Each pod is individually well wrapped to keep the coffee fresh.

Using pods can be more expensive than pre-ground coffee or coffee beans, but as I am getting a perfect shot of espresso out of my machine each time with these pods, I really don't mind paying that little bit extra.

The reason I have only given this 4 stars is because the coffee is not very strong (although I don't like strong coffee, I know a lot of people do). Another reason is the slightly higher price to using pre-ground coffee or coffee beans and the fact that it tends to 'blond out' a bit quickly so it is really just for a single shot of espresso. I haven't used shot glasses to measure out how much in terms of volume a pod can produce as I pulled the shot directly into my cappuccino cup, but I have noticed that it 'blonds out' quicker than if I were using pre-ground coffee, so I have to stop it a bit earlier. But either way, I have had a VERY NICE / PERFECT cappuccino with this as I feel that the amount you can produce with a pod is enough.

If you're considering whether to buy a cheap espresso machine with these pods, or a complete pod machine such as a Tassimo or Dolce Gusto, get an espresso machine and these pods! The tastes are completely different. I have noticed that the espresso you get with a tassimo machine just tastes like instant coffee rather than a fresh coffee you would get at a coffee shop.

I highly recommend this to anyone who loves coffee! Will I stop using pre-ground coffee for this? I will be using pods more, but I won't stop using pre-ground because sometimes I like having control of how much coffee I put in the filter.

I hope this review helps you to decide whether to buy these or not, drop some comments if you have any questions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7