Profile for John S > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Rosewood Naturals Carrot Cottage Guinea Pig House, Medium
Rosewood Naturals Carrot Cottage Guinea Pig House, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for guinea pigs, 10 Feb. 2016
Purchased these for my 2 young guinea pigs and they absolutely love it. They use it to sleep inside and they chew on it a lot. They tend to climb up and eat the carrots at the top as well!

Definitely a good buy - lasts about 1 month.

Melitta 1011-07 Look IV Timer Coffee Filter Machine, White
Melitta 1011-07 Look IV Timer Coffee Filter Machine, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Get it if you love coffee!, 24 Jan. 2016
This makes really good coffee. The water is evenly distributed when it hits the coffee grounds and because of this it makes the coffee taste so much better. The timer and everything else is very easy to set up. It feels like a good quality product from a well known brand when it comes to coffee.

You can set the auto off to 20 mins, 40 mins or 1 hour - so I like how they've given you this option.

So why only 4 stars?
- It isn't in my opinion the nicest LOOKing (see what I did there!) coffee machines, but it does look rather smart any way.
- Where you pour the water in is rather small, but as long as you're careful you will be fine.
- It doesn't include a reusable filter and a scoop. Personally, I use paper filters so this isn't a problem, but most coffee makers tend to include both of these

If you're looking for a good filter coffee machine, then I highly recommend this. It feels like it is built to last. I've had a lot of machines, and I can tell you that the reason I purchased this one was because a similar machine from a very reputable company broke after 2 weeks of usage(!), the text buttons were erasing from use etc. However, I feel with the features they've added such as the buttons having engraved text rather than just printed on, a descaling program etc, the manufacturer has built it to last for a very very long time to come.

Russell Hobbs 20682 Legacy Coffee Maker - Metallic Red
Russell Hobbs 20682 Legacy Coffee Maker - Metallic Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended - best tasting filter coffee I've ever had!, 14 Jan. 2016
I recently had to go to a garage to get my car serviced, and I saw that they had this coffee machine in use and thought that it looked really nice!

So when I got home, I searched for Russell Hobbs filter coffee machines and found it, so I went out and purchased it.

I wasn't expecting anything special, especially for the price. I own quite a lot of filter coffee machines but I wanted to try one with a timer, and as it wasn't too expensive I thought I couldn't go wrong.

When I received the box, I saw a few very interesting features about it. Firstly and most importantly it has an advanced brewing system. This system basically helps spray water across much more of the ground coffee where as most filter coffee machines just use and over-extract the ground coffee near the middle (hence why you get a bitter taste). So this is a fantastic feature and other models which has a similar feature when it comes to spraying water across more ground coffee costs more than twice the price of this machine. I can't express enough how important this feature is and how much better it will make your coffee taste.

The second interesting feature is that it is fast, and it certainly is just that! It brews coffee a lot faster than my other filter coffee machines, and oddly enough it doesn't make the coffee taste bad. The coffee from this machine is just superb!

If you're looking at this model, you probably want to use the timer function, and I can tell you now that it is extremely easy to set up! There's no buttons you have to hold or anything like that, instead there are 2 buttons, H (hours) and M (minutes) which you just press to adjust. You then have to press the timer button (looks like a clock) and use the hour and minutes button to set up the time you want the coffee to brew, then the time saves itself. Every night you can just then press the 'auto' button to make it automatically brew coffee at the time you specified. Note that the time stays the same unless you change it, so you don't have to keep resetting the time.

The jug is a nice size which has a maximum of '15' coffee cups. Roughly about 2 or 3 cup sizes can fill a mug, so essentially a full jug can provide about 5 mugs of coffee. You want 1 scoop of coffee per indicated cup (you can look at the side of the machine to see how much water is in there if you forgot). So for 15 cups of coffee, you want 15 scoops. Speaking about scoops, I love how the scoop sits on the side of the machine so you won't lose it or have to look for it.

Now, the machine comes with a reusable filter, but I personally never use these. Once you've tried filter paper, you can tell the differences in taste and so I've always used filter papers as I think they improve the taste dramatically. If you are after filter paper, you just get size 4's. Not to mention that it is so much better to just chuck away the coffee grounds and the used filter paper than having to clean out the filter (then again, I'm just lazy!)

When you open the lid up, the moisture drips down into the water tank as it is cleverly designed, so you don't have to worry about moisture getting all over your table.

The coffee served is delicious and is hot! If I remember correctly, it turns itself off within 40 minutes which is a great feature. After this time, the coffee would've just tasted horrible and bitter anyway. There are ways to turn the hot plate back on after 40 minutes, but I wouldn't personally recommend it.

The design is very very good and looks really nice to have in your kitchen. It is a decent size and not too big so it fits in my kitchen perfectly.

I've heard of people owning and using the same filter coffee machines for 20 years, so don't worry about the price of this machine as it's very good for what you get and is an investment that will last you for many years to come. Just remember to regularly descale it (about once a month) using the auto-cleaning function. The instructions tell you what to do - and in fact it talks about using vinegar, but I would personally just go out and purchase some proper descaler as vinegar may end up affecting the taste of your coffee...

I hope this review has helped. I highly recommend this machine!

Carefresh 10ltr - Ultra
Carefresh 10ltr - Ultra
Offered by Posh Pets

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff for Hamsters, 8 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Carefresh 10ltr - Ultra (Misc.)
You get what you pay for. If you have ever researched into what Hamsters can safely use for bedding, then you would've heard of carefresh as being one of the big highly recommended brands.

It is well worth the money as I love seeing my Hamster enjoying himself digging through the bedding etc, and knowing that it reduces odors and is safe for my hamster is just fantastic.

I would recommend looking at retail shops first though as Amazon seem to charge more for it.

BISSELL Sturdy Sweep Floor Cleaner - Blue
BISSELL Sturdy Sweep Floor Cleaner - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars GET IT, GET IT, GET IT!!!, 11 Nov. 2015
If you live with people like me where the floor (carpet) eats more food than the people eating, then getting one of these is a must.

It is in a very small box and is extremely easy to assemble, you just screw the handle together then onto the base.

To use it, you just move it forward and backward on your carpet as required to pick up dirt etc - and may I say, it is very effective, basically the same as a vacuum cleaner but without the weight and noise (not to mention the electricity etc). I tried it properly by dropping a crisp and crushing it on the floor and this just picked it up straight away!

Emptying it is very easy too - you just hold it above a bin and push where it says push, then it just empties itself.

The price is just absolutely amazing - I would've paid £50 for this!

If you haven't got it, get it! It is definitely worth it and I wouldn't know where I'd be without it.

Nescafe Dolce Gusto Caffè Americano 16 Capsules - Pack of 3 (Total 48 Capsules, 48 Servings)

5.0 out of 5 stars Save money, get these!, 31 Aug. 2015
Fantastic cup of coffee every morning from these pods.
You can have them with or without milk.

Most restaurants where they offer a white or black coffee is actually really offering an americano with or without milk. You just need 1 pod for the drink, so that means each box contains 16(!!) servings.

These are made from 100% arabica coffee beans. What that means is that the coffee is 'premium' and doesn't taste bitter. The taste is nice and strong and contains a full body. The americano isn't as strong as some of the other Dolce Gusto pods, but in my opinion this is a good thing as it is 'safer' for guests etc.

It is real coffee too - it's not instant. I cut open the pod after using it to see if the coffee has dissolved (i.e. if it is instant) and no, it is definitely ground coffee kept fresh in the air tight pod.

I won't comment on Amazon prices as they change quite regularly, but on the Dolce Gusto website, you can get a box of these for £3.99.

£3.99 / 16 = 25p per cup.

Why keep going to get your morning coffee from cafes / restaurants when you can save so much from using these pods? The Dolce Gusto machine produces up to 15 bars of pressure which means the coffee is essentially going to be the same as that from the restaurant / cafe.

If you don't have a machine, get one. You will get your return in investment really quickly.

Really happy with Dolce Gusto!

Cross Century II Medalist Ball Pen Chrome with Gold Trim Ref 3302WG
Cross Century II Medalist Ball Pen Chrome with Gold Trim Ref 3302WG

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality!, 1 Jun. 2015
It's a very nice pen. It feels heavy and is small in size. I purchased it because I was tired of buying boxes of 20 pens then losing all of them. By purchasing a pen of this quality / price, I will look after it!

It feels so good - just pure quality! And from the description, it contains 23 karrat gold!!! As well as this, you get a lifetime warranty.

I dropped a star because the gift box was very nice and I wanted to keep it. Unfortunately, it was taped and the tape ripped parts of the gift box.

Highly recommended!

Fire TV Stick
Fire TV Stick

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but WiFi issues, 11 May 2015
This review is from: Fire TV Stick (Electronics)
This is fantastic and is a very big competitor to Google Chromecast.

It offers the apps and games you could possibly wish for such as YouTube, Netflix, Flappy Birds etc.

Being a Chromecast user, I absolutely love the remote control. I find it quite annoying having to load videos through my phone to get on the Chromecast, so a remote for this is very good.

When I received my Fire TV Stick, it was already set up with my Amazon account so I could start watching prime movies etc, so that saved me from having to type my login details with the remote control which would take a while without a physical keyboard. Amazon give you the option to purchase this as a gift to not set up your Amazon account with the Fire TV Stick.

My main issue is that sometimes the WiFi keeps disconnecting and I have the Chromecast in the exact same TV and this doesn't have the issue - so I'm not sure if the WiFi range of the Fire TV Stick is not as good as that of the Google Chromecast or maybe I have a faulty Fire TV Stick, but most of the time it works fine.

On a side note, I'm really glad that Amazon are entering this growing market. Amazon have very good and fast support and so I trust their products or that they will do their best to satisfy me as their customer in the event of me having difficulty setting it up or having a faulty product.

I highly recommend this - it's just fantastic and I don't know where I'd be without it!

TASSIMO Costa Americano 16 T DISCs (Pack of 5, Total 80 T DISCs/pods)
TASSIMO Costa Americano 16 T DISCs (Pack of 5, Total 80 T DISCs/pods)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic coffee, 11 May 2015
These are fantastic and provide around a mug full cup of coffee whilst leaving a bit of space for milk if you want to add some.

They taste nice and smooth and the crema adds a nice velvety feel in your mouth.

I hate talking about price in reviews as they can change regularly, but roughly you're getting a mug full of coffee for around 20p a cup which is outstanding if you think that a restaurant charges over £1 for approximately the same size cup of coffee. I personally prefer these T-discs over coffee at cafes, restaurants etc so if you haven't tried it you really should.

The tassimo system makes brewing this very simple - simply insert the disc and hit a button (don't forget about the cup!!) and there you have your own fresh cup of coffee which tastes the same or better than cafes or restaurants.

Highly recommended.

Learn Python in One Day and Learn It Well: Python for Beginners with Hands-on Project. The only book you need to start coding in Python immediately
by Jamie Chan

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this book if you want to learn Python!, 21 April 2015
If you're looking at learning Python then look no further, this book is what you need!

It is a fairly short book but teaches the fundamentals of programming with Python. However, it doesn't cover object oriented programming but there are plenty of tutorials for this online.

I have knowledge of C#, Java and other popular programming languages but I wanted to learn Python but found that actually it is quite different to other programming languages. Yes, the concepts of variables, if statements, loops etc are the same between languages, but Python for example uses indentation to classify a block of code rather than curly brackets which I am used to using etc. So even if you are an experienced programmer, you need to read up on Python as it does a lot of things in its own style.

Python is meant to be a very easy programming language, especially for beginners and I can see why! I really really really wish I looked into Python a lot earlier!

The author has just kept to the point to keep the book short but provide you with what you need to become a Python programmer. There are a lot of programming books with thousands of pages of information you probably won't even remember or need and to be honest, I just don't have the time to read them...

I highly recommend this book! When you have finished reading the book (should only take a few hours), you can use the book as a reference. For example, if you forget how to create a loop in Python, just quickly flick through the book and see the code you need. Fantastic purchase, something that I will keep in my bookshelf for years to come!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13