Profile for Austen fan > Reviews

Content by Austen fan

Austen fan (Glasgow, Scotland)

Finden & Hales Womens/Ladies Microfibre Sports Shorts (L) (Navy)
Finden & Hales Womens/Ladies Microfibre Sports Shorts (L) (Navy)
Offered by Gold-Direct-UK (Leisure & Workwear)
Price: 10.89

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent purchase, 21 Sep 2013
For the money, I wasn't expecting much from these shorts, but was very pleasantly surprised. The size is very accurate, so if you order the right size then it they will fit. They're soft, comfortable and smart. Very glad I bought them.

Mr. Darcy's Decision
Mr. Darcy's Decision
by Juliette Shapiro
Price: 8.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but with a few flaws..., 5 Aug 2009
This review is from: Mr. Darcy's Decision (Paperback)
I'm not entirely sure if I like or loathe this book. Elizabeth and Darcy seem to behave as they should, but occasionally defect so far from their original characters that I began to wonder if there were two other characters called Elizabeth and Darcy that act completely the wrong way, just thrown into certain scenes. Unfortunately, this generally happens in the key moments of the book. To explain this, I'll need to use spoilers, so be warned! First up - Mr Darcy deciding to raise Wickham's child as his own???????? WHY?????????? Also, is there an alter-ego Wickham too? Because the Wickham in P&P would not burst into tears and swear to be a better man when he finds out he is a father. This is possibly my biggest problem with the book. Wickham is one of the biggest cads in the history of literature, certainly in my opinion. Can you imagine, say, Henry Crawford, acting that way? What about Willoughby? He didn't give a toss about Eliza Williams' child. So, I repeat, WHY???????? Apart from those, and a few minor (and one major) grammatical and punctuational errors, a diverting read. Also, I laughed for ten minutes solid at the (not very subtle) Jane Eyre reference. So, all in all, worthy of 3 stars, I reckon.

Pride and Prescience (Mr & Mrs Darcy Mystery)
Pride and Prescience (Mr & Mrs Darcy Mystery)
by Carrie Bebris
Price: 7.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 5 Aug 2009
I really liked "Pride and Prescience". I think it captured the characters from the original P&P very nicely, but with enough twists and turns to make it an interesting and, at times, unpredictable read. The plot relies strongly on supernatural influences, so if you want something straight-laced and more Austen-ish, this probably isn't the book for you. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed it, my only issues with it being lack of commas in some places, leaving you slightly confused as to what the character is actually trying to stay. Another the fact it takes Mr. Darcy so long to accept Elizabeth's assurances that something other-worldly was going on. Surely he isn't that stubborn? My only other slight issue is that Elizabeth tends a little towards Catherine Morland-esque theories. Never the less, I look forward to buying the rest of the series! :-)

The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy
The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy
by Mary Street
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book!, 5 Aug 2009
I loved this book! It was an excellent insight into what was going on in Mr Darcy's head during the events of P&P. It was funny, touching,and sad in all the right places, and a fabulous and captivating read throughout. Buy this book!