Profile for Reviews Guy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Interpet Replacement Carbon Foams - PF2
Interpet Replacement Carbon Foams - PF2

5.0 out of 5 stars They work well to keep the water clear, 30 Dec. 2012
They really filter and clean the water, so I can't complain about them. I find that I can reuse them a couple of times provided that I wash them in tank water when I do my water changes, they will last about three months before they look like they need to be changed. If you can afford changing them every month, it probably is best but if you can't, each foam will probably last you three months if you thoroughly wash them like I do, making sure that all the debris has been removed. I do not squeeze the carbon foam while I am washing because you will see that carbon will come off the foam, meaning that there is less filtering agent to perform the function, so if you vigorously shake it side by side in the waste water inside a bucket, it will most likely remove most of the stuff that gets stuck on the holes.

Combined with the plain foam and the zeolites, this carbon foam makes sure that your aquarium's water is always clear and clean for your little buddies :) I think that they are priced fairly as they last a substantial amount of time when you consider what their function is, so I would stock up to make sure that the water is always clean, after all you need to consider that fish live in their own waste.

Interpet Replacement Plain Foams - PF2 (3 Pieces)
Interpet Replacement Plain Foams - PF2 (3 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars They do the job, 30 Dec. 2012
They really filter, so I can't complain about them. I find that I can reuse them a couple of times provided that I wash them in tank water when I do my water changes, they will last about two months before they look like they need to be changed. If you can afford changing them every month, it probably is best but if you can't, each foam will probably last you two months if you thoroughly wash them like I do, making sure that all the debris has been removed.

Combined with the carbon foam and the zeolites, this plain foam makes sure that your aquarium's water is always clear and clean for your little buddies :) I think that they are priced fairly as they last a substantial amount of time when you consider what their function is, so I would stock up to make sure that the water is always clean, after all you need to consider that fish live in their own waste.

Crackdown 2 (Xbox 360)
Crackdown 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as fun as CD1, 30 Dec. 2012
Most reviews mention that this is not as fun as Crackdown 1, and I agree with this. The element of killing gang members and then the kingpin is lost on CD2, killing freaks and cell is not as fun. Initially, the freaks will be weaker and as your skills advance in the game by collecting orbs, using melee attacks or shooting, the freaks will start getting stronger and you will have to battle several types, but it won't be as fun as doing the little missions from CD1.

With regards to the Cell gang, they mostly don't change apart from the area that used to be called The Corridor and ran by Shai-Gen Corp. In that area, the strongholds (what they call the areas controlled by Cell) will be protected by heavily-armored gang members with rocket launchers and turret machine guns... It's not that hard to wipe them off if you use a rocket launcher.

I found that protecting the beacons was quite easy as long as you kept yourself at a heightened area compared to the freaks, there wasn't a lot of challenging things to go through apart from blasting the annoying creatures.

In CD1, you needed to find a way to reach the gang members and the kingpins, in CD2 you know exactly where the beacon is dropped inside the freak lairs and all you have to do is statically defend it, which is boring.

The final mission is quite easy if you're using explosive guns in both hands plus using cluster grenades.

The cars do not get upgraded as you level up, so it's pretty boring.

You can sort of fly when you reach agility level 5, but it is really hard to master the wing suit and you need to drop from a really tall point like at the top of the agency tower or hope tower (a new building on the former shai-gen area). You will probably give up learning how to use the wing suit.

To compensate for the lack of interesting missions, they added a bunch of collectibles that you can find. They also added "freak breaches" that are freak escape areas that you have to clean up so the agency can close up by blasting rockets at them. When you finish the last mission, you can go back to the game and redo it, but there is no reward for doing that. Once you finish the game, you probably will find all the orbs and complete little missions like driving through stunt rings.

The scenario is basically the same but the city is now mostly destroyed, so nothing new to see apart from Hope Tower, which as I mentioned before is a building that takes place of the one that was opposite the final boss in CD1.

I would recommend this game if you played CD1 just because it is fun to continue a sequel, but do not expect much from it. I wouldn't have recommended it at the launch price but now it is cheap so it is worth a go.

Panasonic SD-2501 WXC Automatic Breadmaker - White
Panasonic SD-2501 WXC Automatic Breadmaker - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bread maker, poor manual, 29 Dec. 2012
Whoever buys this bread maker will agree with me about the recipes in the manual being wrong (not all of them, though).

Try making a panettone for example, and what you will get is a block of badly-cooked lumpy mass of dough with unmixed flour on the sides... Some of the recipes are clearly not tested or they may have been typed incorrectly and not checked before packing the manuals with the product, because they just don't work.

You may use a calibrated digital scale and measuring jugs like I do to get your recipe exactly right, but the result might still be terrible.

It is not the machine's fault, though. If you follow a good recipe, the result will be wonderful. I used this machine since August 2012 and so far the only issues I had were when recipes were wrong. In case of the panettone one, you can see that it is too liquid and that there's no way that the dough would rise properly.

There are so many programs to choose, I like the one for pizza dough, it is amazing that you can put some ingredients inside this machine and in about 1hr you can be baking your very own calzone.

I tried a banana and goji-berry bread and it was so amazing so now I even let some bananas ripen on purpose so that I can make this bread.

The keypad is wide, easily readable and can be cleaned very easily as there are no indentations or crevices where anything could get trapped. The display is very clear and easy to read. The only thing that disappoints is the beeper, it is quite soft and hard to hear when you need to add ingredients (in menu 11 - Brioche, as an example). I wish that Panasonic would let the user select the volume of the beeper and let it go louder.

After 4 months of use, the non-stick coating is as good as new, both inside the pan and in the paddle. I *ALWAYS* (can't stress the importance of this) wash them with the soft side of the sponge, which is usually the yellow bit. A great tip that I can give you is to never use salt from a grinder or rock salt. Do not do it, because it will scratch the coating. If you can use caster sugar instead of granulated, even better. Try to use ingredients that are as fine as possible so you don't risk scratching the brilliant anti-stick coating. Another tip that I have is to never put water inside the pan after you remove the bread, set the hot pan aside after you removed the bread and wait until it cools, then fill it with water to the top and let it sit for a couple of hours to soften any food residue that may have settled on the surfaces of the anti-stick coating. Never add ingredients with the pan inside the machine, always add them with the pan outside and then slot the pan inside with the ingredients in, this applies to recipes where you need to add ingredients manually as well, in this case you should remove the pan, add the ingredients and return the pan inside the machine before pressing start to let it continue with the cycle.

When removing the bread, only once the paddle stayed inside the bread, I've baked probably 50 loaves since purchasing it, so you can definitely trust me when I say that the paddle will not stay in unless the recipe is for a very dense bread.

I didn't try doing rye or spelt or other kinds of speciality bread but I don't have a reason to believe that it wouldn't work.

An issue I found with this machine is that sometimes the flour and other dry ingredients get stuck on a corner and don't get mixed in. This is particularly the case with doughs that are more liquid. I use a silicone spatula to gently push the ingredients to the centre so they can be mixed, while the machine is running. I won't tell anyone to do this because this may break the machine, but I trust myself and I am careful so until now this has not happened, if you want to do the same while the machine is running (I mean the paddle is moving), I would be quick and do it while the paddle pauses.

An important bit of information that some people might go over is that you should not wash the bottom mechanism of the bread pan. Do not submerge it in water says the manual... I'm not sure why but I will certainly not test it.

If you want a good, solid bread maker with a more compact design, this one will serve you well. The basic white bread recipe works great, I find that the rapid setting (2) works the best, and I can have bread in about 2 hours. The normal setting (1) takes about 4 hours and I can't see any difference in texture, but to be honest I didn't bake two at the same time to test side by side, maybe the fact that I can save 2 hours gives me enough reason to believe that this setting is actually better.

My machine came with a measuring spoon with two sides, table and tea-spoon, the tbsp side is graded half and full, and the tsp side is graded 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full. The measuring cup for liquid ingredients is also graded in millilitres.

If you're going to buy this bread maker, try to stick with the basic recipes because the advanced ones (like the panettone) probably won't work. I always use premium ingredients (but tried cheaper too to test if it was the ingredients) but these recipes never come out good. If I were you, I would purchase a good recipe book for bread machines and would not use the one provided by Panasonic (which is the instruction manual as well).

I uploaded some photos of the box and the bread maker, as well as my banana bread, so please take a look if you think that it will help you decide.

Before I wrap up, note that the fruit and nut dispenser really works but it is not available in all recipes. In recipes that you need to add ingredients, it will most likely be available but even in some of the recipes you will still need to add ingredients manually - the machine will beep when it's time. If you do not add, after a while the machine will continue to bake without the ingredients. Another thing to keep in mind is that in these recipes, if you are asked to add ingredients manually but you need to go out so you place them inside the machine, note that when it beeps you won't be able to press the start button as you won't be in the house, so the machine won't mix them in, which means that the ingredients will sit on top of the dough causing it to collapse when you bake, giving you spoiled end product, so make sure that when the machine beeps you add the ingredients and press the start button so that it can mix the stuff into the dough before letting it rise and bake, if you do not press the start button after adding the ingredients the machine WILL NOT mix the ingredients and will simply start the baking process after a couple of minutes.

I hope that this helps...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2016 3:39 PM GMT

Interpet Internal Aquarium Power Filter for Fish Tanks - PF1
Interpet Internal Aquarium Power Filter for Fish Tanks - PF1

4.0 out of 5 stars No zeolites in this filter (buy the PF2 if your tank has space)., 29 Dec. 2012
I have a PF2 for my Fish Box 64l and that model has a place for the white foam and the black (carbon) foam as well as for ceramic rings that lets the good bacteria grow. The PF1 is smaller and doesn't allow you to use the rings, so the filtration will not be as good as a system with them (obviously). I would recommend this for a basic tank with perhaps a small fancy goldfish and only if you did weekly 50% water changes on a fully-cycled tank with the properly de-chlorinated water, and if you obviously used a vacuum hose to remove the waste from the gravel/substrate.

This filter will not clean as well as the PF2, so if your aquarium allows in terms of space I would go straight to the PF2, which filters more water per hour.

In terms of construction, the PF1 is nicely built and has the same quality of the PF2, it comes with sucker pads that are removable for cleaning and the filter itself attaches to the aquarium via a plate. This plastic plate contains three holes for the suckers, you attach this to the aquarium and then you lower the filter into it, kind of cradling it into place, which allows you to quickly remove it for cleaning without having to deal with the suckers.

If you make sure that the glass is algae-free and clean when you first install the filter, the suckers will not keep dropping off.

I would recommend the user to clean the white foam every week when doing the water changes because it will get quite nasty with the debris and waste, and gently clean the carbon foam too. Since there is less parts than the PF2, this will be easier to clean so there should be no excuses to let the fish suffer from a poorly maintained filter.

The manufacturer states that this can filter up to 68l of water p/ hr, I would say that this is only suitable for around half of that! You won't believe the amount of waste that can get trapped in the foam, leading to poor filtration if there is too much water to pass).

It is not very noisy but the venturi while making bubbles do obviously make some noise. You have some level of customisation in regards to the amount of bubbles that it creates, I would not recommend completely closing the venturi simply because some oxygen would help keep the water nice for the fish.

The supplies aren't very expensive and this brand has spares if your filter ever breaks for some reason, so this is a factor to consider.

To conclude, my 4-star rating stands because this brand is reputable, the quality of the product is good and there are spares to be purchased if you need them, and they're priced fairly. The filtration is quite decent for a small-sized product but it is definitely not to be used for aquariums of more than 40l. I would buy this one over others even if it is a little more costly because of reliability.

Seki Edge Toenail Clipper
Seki Edge Toenail Clipper
Offered by Ando Trading Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice, actually, 29 Dec. 2012
I wasn't expecting a lot from a nail clipper because it's such a simple item, but I am actually impressed with this one.

I purchased a good nail clipper abroad on a trip but it was small, that one broke after a couple of uses and it wasn't very sharp. Another one I had also broke in a different way. Both clippers had the same kind of design and this one is different. Basically all nail clippers of this kind are two blades that are pushed down by a lever, which is anchored in a rivet-style pin that goes between the two blades. In the cheaper clippers this pin has a notch and this introduces a weakness point that leads to breaking.

This particular clipper gives me a feel that it will last more because the lever is not anchored on a notch, it is actually passed through a hole on the pin, which means that the pin itself is stronger and will not bend easily.

I don't really know whether the clipper itself will last or if it break, but in terms of construction I'd say it is miles ahead of the ones I used before. The build quality seems much better and the nail catcher although not a perfect feature catches nail clippings most of the time. The file on the other side is quite soft but does the job.

I feel that the price (paid around £15) for this product is justified, it seems to be better constructed than cheaper alternatives and there is a warranty too, which gives me confidence that if anything goes wrong, it will be replaced (haven't tested if this is actually the case, though).

I will recommend this one and give it 5 stars simply because it is priced dearly but is actually constructed nicely, and the blade is VERY sharp and will let you clip your foot nails effortlessly (well, compared to my cheaper ones anyway).

Ultimate Ears 10vi replacement cable with inline microphone and control button for use with iPhone and Blackberry. Compatible with UE Studio 3, 5EB, 5 Pro & Triple.fi 10 earphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works with the 5 Pro, 21 Aug. 2012
Even though the title states that it works, I was skeptical because I didn't find anywhere on the web that it really worked.

So I took the plunge and bought it, because I have expensive phones that I did not use because the cable was so shabby (I bought the clear version of the phones and people who have that know how terrible the cable is).

This cable is a huge improvement, it is very flexible, it has a straight connector which is much better in my opinion, I noticed an improvement in the sound, and best of all, the iPhone function works so I won't have to take my phones out of my ears to talk to people when they call me.

I did not buy from this page, I bought the cable directly from Logitech (who now owns Ultimate Ears) and they delivered it via UPS. I paid £20 via Logitech with free delivery... If you want a better cable than the one that came with your Super.Fi 5 Pro, buy this one, even though they say it is for the triple.fi, the connectors at the end fit perfectly on the 5 Pro.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2013 1:58 PM GMT

Pyrex Rectangular Dish with Plastic Lid, 1.5L
Pyrex Rectangular Dish with Plastic Lid, 1.5L

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect dishes, 7 Aug. 2012
These square dishes are lovely, their lids fit tightly around them and they can be taken to the table to serve your food directly from the oven.

They cope well with freezing and they're superb for marinating meat. I marinated beef cubes for kebabs and they came out perfectly seasoned throughout. The lid was perfectly tight so my fridge did not smell of marinade. I also don't have to worry about stinky plastic containers anymore, and this is so much easier to clean than the plastic stuff.

I do not have a dishwasher but this goes into the dishwasher according to the packaging.

The lid is not oven-safe but you can always cover your preparation with aluminium foil before placing it in the oven. The lid is really just for storage or freezing, but it does the job very well.

I found that this size is perfect for making lasagne with the fresh pasta I buy from ASDA, I just cook the fresh lasagna sheets in boiling water and layer it inside this dish, it fits well and that way I can even make more than one and store it in the freezer for another day.

You can stack them easily both in the fridge or in your cupboard, you can either remove the lids and stack the glass one on top of the other for extra space, or you can leave the lid on and stack the glass on top of a closed pyrex for tidier storage.

I am recommending these because they are made by a good and reputable company, they store food well so it stays fresh for longer, and they're very versatile as you can simply take your food from the fridge and pop in the oven for a lovely meal.

If you are removing the cold pyrex from the fridge or freezer and intending to pop it straight into a hot oven, I'd avoid that because it may crack. I would first defrost the food to at least close to ambient temperature before placing it into the oven.

If the container is at ambient temperature or close to it, you can definitely place it into a pre-heated oven, the glass can take that kind of thermal shock very well, just don't do it straight from the freezer because the temperature difference will be too big and the glass may crack.

I have other pyrex glassware and they lasted for ages and still look just as new as when I first used them, this is the brand to go for glassware, you won't regret it.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes that might have escaped my attention, I have not put on my glasses while typing this review.

I hope this helps.

Logitech MX Anywhere Mouse (Tracks on Glass)
Logitech MX Anywhere Mouse (Tracks on Glass)
Offered by Best discounts 2016

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse but with some minor flaws..., 6 Aug. 2012
Short review:

Buy it, it's reliable to an extent, the software is kinda buggy and the mouse wheel does not behave like a normal mouse, if you can live with those issues it's an excellent product.

Longer, detailed review:

I used logitech mice in the past and they always were reliable, so when my V450 failed due to a little accident while cleaning the sensor, I decided to buy the Anywhere MX because of its more advanced tracking that works on shiny or reflective surfaces like glass.

The box is simple, open it up and you find the mouse and the tiny receiver. On the back, you can find the quick start guide, warranty and technical information, and there is no installation CD, you have to download it from Logitech's website, which is a great thing because it ensures that you have the latest version. You also find a nice carrying case and two Duracell Alkaline batteries, nice one because some manufacturers do not include batteries.

The mouse looks nice, I like the sides because it feels like rubber so it's very comfortable to hold. This mouse doesn't have a particular protruding side so it works for both right and left handed individuals. On the left-hand side there are two buttons that you can configure, but by default they are back/forward buttons (more on this later). On the top, you will find a nice chrome strip between the left and right buttons you normally use, and in the middle of the strip you will find the scroll wheel and a programmable button, along with a status LED. Underneath the mouse you'll find the sensor, and a slider-type power switch.

The gliding pads on this mouse are fine, they allow you to glide your mouse smoothly over the working surface easily. I'm using the mouse on a Razer Kabuto mousepad and it works well. I tested the mouse on a bare wood table and it glided very nicely, it also does it just as well on glass. The clicks are responsive and not too loud. Now to the issues I found with this product:

The scroll wheel has two modes, first you'll find what I like to call the normal mode, which is like any other scroll wheel in any other good old mouse you've use before: It does those clicking sounds as you turn the wheel and it stops turning as soon as you stop moving your finger over it. It moves only a couple of lines a time on a document or webpage... pretty standard stuff. The second mode is what I like to call the super mode. To activate it, you press the scroll wheel down until you hear a click, then to scroll you move your finger fast or slow, and you can even lift it and the wheel will still keep turning. You don't hear the clicks anymore, the wheel is now smooth to turn. You can jump from the top of a really, really long spreadsheet to the bottom with one quick flick of your finger, wonderful! Press on the wheel again and you're back to the normal mode, easy and quick.

So what is the problem? It is the fact that as you probably noticed, to change modes you have to press down on the wheel. For folks who need to use the middle click, it is a nightmare, because the middle click is usually the wheel itself on older mice. When you press it down, it works just like another button... Not on this mouse! If you want a middle click, you can program the top programmable key to act like one for you, but you'll have sore fingers at the end of the day if you need to use the middle click a lot, because you have to flex your indicator finger backwards at a steeper angle than before. So much for ergonomics...

The wheel can also be tilted left or right to scroll pages sideways, this works well, you simply tilt and hold the wheel to scroll the page to the side you want and then let go when the page is where you want it to be. The two buttons on the side are by default back/forward buttons that you can use to navigate the Finder or Windows Explorer, or webpages. You can change this behaviour and assign other functions to these buttons. I find the defaults pretty good for me so I left them as they are.

I use a Mac so the software Logitech provides is called Logitech Control Centre. You can check the battery life, and program your mouse keys using it. There are many options to choose from for the programmable keys, things like Exposé on Snow Leopard and before, or Mission Control in Lion. For Windows, Logitech calls their software SetPoint, and you can do the same things you do on the Mac. I haven't tested SetPoint but what I can say about Control Centre for the Mac is that it is somewhat buggy. Firstly, Logitech installs their own drivers on the system and the driver is awful. Try scrolling on a game like Cities XL to change the zoom level or try scrolling on a list of pictures on Aperture... a slight touch on the wheel will send you flying from point A to Z when it normally would send you from A to C if that's a good analogy. The software makes the wheel become hyper-sensitive in some apps, and that's not good at all. I never had this issue with my Logitech V450.

I asked Amazon to replace the product for me thinking it was a failure, but in fact it isn't. It is the software that's the issue, so I can either uninstall it and not be able to configure what the buttons do (losing the middle click by the way!) or I can install it and live with a bad experience.

Why did I give this 4 stars instead of less, if there are issues? Because the mouse itself is great. The last star is about the software, so as long as Logitech doesn't fix it, 4 stars it will be! I still recommend this mouse if you need to work on a glass surface, which by the way, the mouse works well. If you're not, then go for something else if you need to customise the keys, otherwise buy it and you will be happy.

Hopefully my review helped, for any questions just ask on a comment and I'll check and reply.

Update 6th of August 2012:

The mouse began using batteries too fast, on the Logitech website it states a battery life of at least 6 months, the first pair of batteries lasted me 1 month, then I needed to change batteries to new ones every week... A Google search showed me that I was not alone. At some point I gave up and phoned Amazon, they sent me a new one that seems to be an improved version. I received this version today, I can report that on the previous model the box was bigger, the mouse itself had a matte finish on top, and the exposé button was black plastic.

The new model has a glossy top casing, the middle exposé/window manager button that is still under the wheel is now what appears to be chrome plastic or metal, the buttons feel slightly more silent as well. In my opinion the new model feels much better than the old one it replaced. I now hope that this one doesn't give me any issues because it's the third replacement already! The last two replacements were the old model, so Logitech probably changed something more than the plastics, I hope. The software has also been updated and it's giving me less pain when I'm on the same apps it was behaving badly, but it still isn't perfect so the 4 star-rating remains, now that the update resolved some of the sensitivity issues, I know for sure that it was Logitech's drivers and not my computer that was behaving erratically so when all the issues go, I will update this to a 5-star rating. I will keep you updated in case the performance is still bad after some use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2012 8:45 PM GMT

Premier Housewares Tenzo Cookware Set, 5-Piece, Stainless Steel
Premier Housewares Tenzo Cookware Set, 5-Piece, Stainless Steel
Offered by Office Stationery Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 3 Aug. 2012
The product is good in its entirety apart from a little problem that nobody mentioned...

Amazon's description says that this comes with lids, it doesn't state that only three of the pans come with lids, it states that the set is comprised of 4 pans and 1 frying pan with lids, therefore you would assume that all of the 5 items would come with lids, but this is not the case. The 14cm milk pan and the 24cm frying pan do NOT come with lids, so if you're buying this because you're thinking it will come with lids for all of the pans, don't buy or else you will be disappointed.

I gave this 4 stars because after using the medium pan to boil water to cook pasta, the bottom is now stained, so the material isn't that great, but for the price being asked it is more than enough for me. I am enjoying the product every day and searing steaks on a stainless steel pan is so much better... it browns perfectly! Just make sure that you pat dry the meat with paper towels to achieve perfect browning :)

If you don't care about only three of the pans coming with lids, buy this, otherwise you'll have to look for another set.

Thanks for reading, I hope it helped.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14