Profile for Reviews Guy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Breville VBL062 Blend Active Personal Blender, 300 W - White/Green
Breville VBL062 Blend Active Personal Blender, 300 W - White/Green

1.0 out of 5 stars I love this product but it has flaws., 29 April 2014
I love what this does. I love the design. It's such a brilliant product, but it broke after my 3rd use. I was making lemon juice, I peeled the lemon completely, cut into quarters and dropped inside the container with three teaspoons of white sugar, added 4 cubes of ice, a piece of melon and topped up with cold water, fitted the blade unit, attached to the base, pressed blend and it made a horrible noise. I removed the bottle from the base and could see melted plastic. Oh snap.

Why do good ideas get badly executed? I really love this thing but I can't afford to keep replacing it every 3 uses. Yes, it's the first time that it happened to me but by reading the other 1-star reviews I can only assume that it's a design flaw.

Breville, if you guys are reading I would gladly pay £99 for this if you made it sturdy and durable, and by that I mean a GOOD motor that will last 10 or more years and a GOOD blade that is all metallic and won't break with light fruit and a few ice cubes even though it states on the box that it crushes ice. Why did I say £99 and not less? Because the Nutribullet costs £99 but the container is not as nice. What makes your product wonderful is the long bottle and the lid makes it perfect to put on the side of my backpack or the car's cup holder, plus I'm able to close it off so it doesn't spill. The bottle's plastic is great, the main problem is the motor unit and the blade unit which are crap (sorry but it's the truth).

Please Breville make a v2 with premium materials, people (including me) will buy in a heartbeat if it lasts for many years. We're tired of crappy products that go in the bin and pollute the environment, just make something that lasts even if it costs extra.

Just an addition, I bought mine at my local Tesco Extra, the Breville website does not mention them as a reseller but they carry this item too.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2016 4:48 PM BST

Topstar Sitness 5 Sitting Alternative Chair - Black
Topstar Sitness 5 Sitting Alternative Chair - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 6 Mar. 2014
First of all I want to disclose that I purchased this product from Overstock, not from Amazon. I also made a video on YouTube where I said that I purchased the product from Amazon (which is not true) because on Amazon you can easily return stuff and you can also find reviews, so I tend to tell everyone that everything I buy comes from here just because it is reputable and safe, you never know how that store you found it cheaper will behave the next week and I'm not ready to recommend a business that I haven't used for years so if you find my video and hear me saying that I got it from Amazon, that's the reason.

Okay, having disclosed those things let's move on to the stool: it is good. I have a topstar chair and have used it for about two years and the mesh, seat and back have not deformed. Having previously used a horrible IKEA chair which gave me coccyx inflammation due to its horribly thin foam seat, I learned my lesson and stopped buying cheap stuff which could later give me lifelong health problems. I mean once you had pain in your back you'll know what I'm talking about.

I would not recommend this product for extended sitting times although it is comfortable. You can just release some of the air to make it softer. Due to its lack of back rest you are kind of forced to sit correctly with your back straight, which to me is a good thing, however not everyone will like that. In all fairness it is not marketed for extended sitting so what I said is just an observation.

Another review mentioned something about being perfect for creative work, I totally agree with that. Maybe put some around a table and brainstorm with others in an informal way. I think that this product would work well in homes or businesses, the black colour always looks smart anywhere. The chrome feet have a rubberised base so it will not scratch floors.

The pump that you use to inflate the rubber ball is good and won't break on the third stroke, it also filled it relatively quickly.

I like this brand, it's the second product I purchase from them and so far it's good. You CAN find this cheaper but there's no guarantee that it won't be a fake or if the store will honour warranties just in case something goes wrong. I'd personally buy from Amazon but if you want to risk it, you can find it cheaper. I bought from Overstock and it was fine but that was my first purchase with that business so I don't know if there is any influence on their reliability.

I honestly cannot fault this and find flaws, you know that you're buying a stool and not a chair so if you want something compact and comfortable for sitting for not too long this will be perfect.

Transcend All-in-1 Multi-Card Reader Device (SDHC/SDXC/MSXC USB 3.0) Black
Transcend All-in-1 Multi-Card Reader Device (SDHC/SDXC/MSXC USB 3.0) Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and effective = a great combination, 17 Feb. 2014
Purchased this to use with my brand new Mac Pro, the one that looks like a trash can.

This card reader works very well and transfers my videos to the Mac Pro blazingly fast compared to my USB 2.0 reader, so it's obviously doing its thing and using the 3.0 connection effectively. What more can I say? It's small, light, and has a blue LED to indicate that it's plugged and in operation.

Bosch PSR Select Cordless Lithium-Ion Screwdriver with 3.6 V Battery, 1.5 Ah
Bosch PSR Select Cordless Lithium-Ion Screwdriver with 3.6 V Battery, 1.5 Ah
Offered by Tooled-Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my sanity (for a while)., 19 Jan. 2014
Try to assemble a PAX wadrobe from IKEA (with all the inside parts with a normal screwdriver... You'll wish you listened to me. DON'T DO IT.

I bought this at Homebase, they price matched B&Q, which was cheaper than Amazon. It's a great product, you have 12 bits inside, there's a light that helps you see the bit, it's magnified through a plastic window so you can make sure that it's really what you want, you can remove the bit and insert one of your choice, it lasted throughout my whole assembly job (a loooooooot of screws, and hard ones as well) with power to spare, I felt that it was powerful enough for handling particleboard, I don't know if it would handle very hard wood.

The reason why this saved my sanity for a while is because IKEA furniture is fiddly and easy to break (which I unfortunately did, when I was tilting it up), if it wasn't for this tool to make the job a bit easier, I probably would have kicked everything to bits as I was already up to my head with the useless IKEA instructions, this made it bearable.

My review is not about features because these are listed on the page and other reviewers have already spoken about functions, it's to talk about the convenience that this gives you, the time it saves, that it copes with at least particle board furniture and that it would probably cope with soft woods like pine. I would recomment it, I'm happy with my purchase.

Bionaire Warm Mist Humidifier
Bionaire Warm Mist Humidifier

5.0 out of 5 stars The 1-star reviewers need a reality check and to think a little, 5 April 2013
During this week (Apr 2013) I returned another Bionaire ultrasonic model BU6000 to John Lewis because it wouldn't humidify a medium bedroom in a period of 24 hours! How crazy is that!?

Then, I went to Argos and purchased a £120 (you read that price right) ultrasonic humidifier model HUM-20-EU made by Homedics, which was advertised as being cold as well as warm, but although it humidified the room, it left the floor completely wet since cold mist falls down, and the warm function was ridiculous as you couldn't even feel the difference in temperature from the cold mist, so that was returned too as I felt that it didn't fulfill its function properly. I mainly purchased it because of the "warm" claim as I know that humidifiers that boil the water do the job much better than the ultrasonic ones with the advantage of killing the nasties in the water before releasing mist into the air.

Now I ordered this which is much cheaper than the others and I KNOW that it will work because I previously had the old version and it would humidify my entire three-story house if I let it run for a day.

The only reason why I didn't buy this one in the first place is because there was no humidity sensor (unlike the older version, which even worked automatically according to the humidity level you set), but I found out that you can buy a plug-in humidistat so that solved the problem. Apart from this, it is a good and reliable brand and it boils the water to 100º meaning that there is no risk for contamination like the ultrasonic models do. I think that the tiny bubbling noise that this generates is a SMALL price to pay for cleaner humidification without the risk of spreading harmful bacteria around the whole house, wouldn't you agree? I'd rather live with a bit of soft noise than a nasty chest infection due to using an ultrasonic model.

Save your money, save your sanity, save your health and buy this one. Let it run during the day, switch it off before you go to bed and you'll get a good night's sleep, you'll be glad you made this decision and didn't mind the 1-star reviews written by people who need a reality check (anyone who is able to buy a product here is an adult and knows that boiling water produces some noise, although you don't need to place an evaporative humidifier by your bedside to get the job done so the soft noise shouldn't be an issue if you were using it sensibly).

Update: After using this for a couple of weeks, I stand by my review and actually have something good to add, initially this humidifier will make some noise, but after a couple of days it will get softer and softer. I suppose that when it is new, the extreme heat caused by the heating element causes the plastic bits to contract/expand and this is what causes the bulk of the noise, after using it for a couple of days it seems that the plastics "settle" and most of the noise becomes so soft that you really have to focus to notice it. Be advised that everything I mentioned before applies, if you keep this beside your bed (which you shouldn't!) you WILL still hear some noise, but overall the product seems to become quieter after a while. That thing of "Be patient" that you grew up listening from your mother couldn't be more fitting here, it pays to wait.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2013 10:17 PM BST

Sim City (PC DVD)
Sim City (PC DVD)
Offered by Galactico

1.0 out of 5 stars After some hours of gameplay you realise how boring it is., 24 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Sim City (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
There are lots of reviews here showing positive and negative points about SimCity. I don't want to repeat what so many people already said, I just want to back up their statements with this review and also to express my views about the game.

Perhaps it's because there was a decade-long wait for a new release and hope grew too big, or perhaps EA just produced a sucky game, but I don't like what they did.

The online-only feature (yes, how could this be left out of a review?) is a gimmick. It is, it is, it is, no matter how much EA wants you to believe otherwise. It is BORING, it is unnecessary. No matter how fast or how many their servers are, there will always be a delay between sharing resources or simoleons between different cities. Building a "great works" gives you so many headaches, because it takes hours for the supplies that reach the works to sync between different cities, so when city A sends 100000 computers to it, city B might still show 0, or any other number, really. If you're playing on a region of your own, with different cities that specialise in different things, you'll be able to see this without having to ask a friend.

The traffic system is chaotic. If you have train tracks crossing roads, depending on where they cross, trains might get in a gridlock and never move until you delete the portion of the track that crosses the road. It is impossible to please citizens, there will always be protests at the city hall, no matter how many services you provide. You can remove all industrial zoning and still have ground pollution coming from residential buildings, for some unknown reason. There isn't a lot of variety graphics-wise, you have some designs of low, medium and high wealth, and that's it, nothing changes, once you've seen everything, you'll feel bored. Depending on how successful you can make your city, you'll be able to see all the building designs in a couple of hours. Maps are really small, and there is very little space to fit everything nicely. You'll end up having a "blocky" city, that looks nothing like cities in the real world.

After playing for 40 hours and going through a couple of different cities and trying all the different specialisations, all the "ploppables" for every building, and trying the online features, I figured that there isn't a lot of substance to this game at all. The key is to set up trading in your cities, once you do that, you can have a 70k deficit but have 16 million simoleons on your account. There will be nothing else to do... There isn't a lot to do in this game. It feels like they purposefully left out so many things, just to sell them to you later. Look at what they did with The Sims 3, they WILL do this with SimCity, but hopefully SimCity will be dead by then with all the bad news it received, and EA won't be able to con people anymore. I know that you're not forced to purchase extension packs, but to release a game so boring like this one, with less than the bare minimum? It's ridiculous. If they aren't planning to release any expansions, then this is the most incomplete game ever, and if they are, then they released it like this on purpose, which just shows how greedy they are, so if you buy it, you'll be supporting a business model that isn't made to provide you fun, but to hook you up like an addict and get as much cash out of you as possible. It's not a value-for-money proposition, so why should you spend your cash on it? Well, you shouldn't, that's my point.

Please trust my review and do not buy it, I am not here to bash on the online features (although it wouldn't be fair not to mention since they are a huge gimmick and with or without online, the game is boring), I played this game without any online issues, I am reviewing it solely on the merits of its features and gameplay, my review is to tell you how boring this game is, and that you'll be hooked on it for a couple of hours but then once you get the hang of it, it will become useless. This is why EA made it online only, so you won't be able to recover some of your money by selling it second-hand. Forget that! You will NEVER have that option because this uses your unique key to authenticate to their servers. They released a half-baked game because once the money is in their pocket, they won't care. They have other franchises to milk, SimCity was a cheap shot to catch money from people who supported Maxis when they produced cool games, and this is what makes this game so wrong, they took advantage of their fans. All they care about now is making pretty graphics, not gameplay, so if you want good value for money and a fun game to play, look very far away from this one, you WILL be disappointed.

I think that it is fair to be open to feedback from customers like me, so if you do not believe me now and you want to go ahead, then buy it, but the only thing I ask you is not to mark my review down straight away if that's your urge, please play it for some time until you've succeeded in running a "big" city, and then come back and rate it, because I am sure that you'll hate this game and feel like you've been robbed.

Thanks for reading.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2014 4:27 PM BST

AccuPower IQ328 Charger for AA/Mignon AAA/Micro Rechargeable Battery
AccuPower IQ328 Charger for AA/Mignon AAA/Micro Rechargeable Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget anything else., 24 Feb. 2013
I know that there are other brands and models that are superior. Maha is a good example. But why pay more when this one does the job just fine? When you look at the packaging, you might think that the product is made in Germany but that is not the case. It is made in China, but the manufacturer is German and so is the product's design (this info for those who care about where things are made).

Three simple buttons on top of a simple LCD display that shows the mode at which the charger is operating and several pieces of information about the battery state. Sorry, I won't list all the modes and what all the info means because this stuff is on the description already, but what I can comment on is that I used all the functions so far and they work without a problem.

The product is simple to use, treats each battery on their own using charge/discharge separately, meaning that you'll get more longevity from each cell. It feels robustly designed except on the bottom where I found the plastic to be too bendy, is silent, and does not heat the batteries (at least compared with a 1hr Energizer model I had prior to this, and another Energizer 15-min charger that heated like crazy and needed a fan to keep the batteries from exploding).

The price is fair (I paid £25 I believe) and I've used it several times with Eneloop cells, I recommend this strongly if you use this brand of batteries because they are expensive and need a good and intelligent charger like this one.

There is a 2-year warranty for this product whereas others tend to have only 1 year, so the manufacturer trusts their own design which gives me peace of mind.

I recommend this charger and will update the review if it fails or if I find any quirks along my usage. In the meantime, I strongly recommend it due to its value for money.

Fiskars Kitchen & Food Scissors, 18cm
Fiskars Kitchen & Food Scissors, 18cm

5.0 out of 5 stars So far it's good., 24 Feb. 2013
I've used this for around 2 weeks now, I think that it's worth the price. The blade has a weird sort of curved design that I'm not really sure if it's a feature to cut bones or something, but it works like a normal scissor.

I found the handle soft and nice to grip, it feels very comfortable. I'm a male with medium sized hands and the scissors fit nicely around my fingers, I think that for a person with very large hands it would be more complicated to handle this, but this is true for probably all kitchen scissors on the market right now.

The sharpness of the blade is excellent, I found my previous cheap scissor to struggle with parchment paper but this one cuts it effortlessly. I can start cutting and then just sort of glide it forward without moving the blades and it will cut like a knife, that's how sharp it is. I tried to cut herbs too (rosemary, thyme) and it does the job nicely. I haven't tried to cut chicken breast into strips but I am sure that it will tackle the job as the blade material is very strong and actually thick.

This is not your cheap scissor from the pound store, but I guess that you figured that when you saw the price. In this case, you really get what you pay for, so in other words you're paying more but you're getting quality in return. I would repeat this purchase, and I intend to update the review in case the scissor develops a fault in the future. So far, I would recommend it.

Update: This was purchased in February, it's now May and I've used this a lot for several different things. I used it quite a bit during the Easter period and it cut through turkey bones effortlessly. The scissor is still very sharp. I think that the only thing this would not be able to cut is glass, ceramic, stone or metal, because all the kitchen stuff I threw at it was handled really well. Just one piece of advice: the blade is SHARP. Be very careful when you are washing them, because you can really cut yourself easily. This is the best kitchen scissor I used and I wouldn't try any other brand because now I know that this one offers quality.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2013 12:24 PM GMT

Interpet Bioactive Tapsafe - 250ml
Interpet Bioactive Tapsafe - 250ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it work? Read on..., 30 Dec. 2012
I have no idea if this product actually does what it says but my fish are always happy when I do a water change using this product. They are goldfish so they do demonstrate some sort of emotion, and when I do the water changes they are usually snappy and responsive, if I don't use this product (which happened twice as I did not notice that it had finished) the fish weren't so keen on playing with me and on the following water change when I used the product they seemed to behave better so this is my only clue that it makes a difference.

It doesn't cost a lot of money and you only need a tiny bit of it depending on the quantity of water in your tank, so it is always good to have it stocked.

Interpet Replacement Carbon Foams - PF2
Interpet Replacement Carbon Foams - PF2

5.0 out of 5 stars They work well to keep the water clear, 30 Dec. 2012
They really filter and clean the water, so I can't complain about them. I find that I can reuse them a couple of times provided that I wash them in tank water when I do my water changes, they will last about three months before they look like they need to be changed. If you can afford changing them every month, it probably is best but if you can't, each foam will probably last you three months if you thoroughly wash them like I do, making sure that all the debris has been removed. I do not squeeze the carbon foam while I am washing because you will see that carbon will come off the foam, meaning that there is less filtering agent to perform the function, so if you vigorously shake it side by side in the waste water inside a bucket, it will most likely remove most of the stuff that gets stuck on the holes.

Combined with the plain foam and the zeolites, this carbon foam makes sure that your aquarium's water is always clear and clean for your little buddies :) I think that they are priced fairly as they last a substantial amount of time when you consider what their function is, so I would stock up to make sure that the water is always clean, after all you need to consider that fish live in their own waste.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14