Profile for T. Sutton > Reviews

Content by T. Sutton

T. Sutton (OAKLAND, CA United States)

Les Miserables - The 25th Anniversary in Concert at the O2 [DVD]
Les Miserables - The 25th Anniversary in Concert at the O2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alfie Boe
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE - BEAUTIFUL, 19 Nov. 2010
My friend and I saw this at our local cinema. It was so all-involving, and even uplifting, that we would have turned around and gone back to see it again, immediately, had the option been available! (And that was after a 7:30 start time for the three-hours-that-passed-far-too-quickly show.) Unfortunately, it was a single showing so there was no way to see it/hear it again until the DVD is available; so disappointing.
I saw the New York play in 1998, so had forgotten much of the music and didn't have to make comparisons. However, not even realizing that Marius was Nick Jonas, I thought his performance - and singing - were weak, although the acting improved toward the end of the story. Wasn't crazy about the Cosette character (Katie Hall), either - thought the Eponine character (Samantha Barks) would have been better in the Cosette role, although she was wonderful in hers.
The soul-searching and hand-wringing by both Jean Valjean and Javert were sometimes a little convoluted, but very powerfully acted/sung by both men.
If we can find another theater showing of this, we'll definitely go. Meanwhile, I'm eagerly waiting for release of both the CD and DVD.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2010 8:27 PM GMT