Profile for Charlotte Elliott (charlotteelliott@lycos.co.uk) > Reviews

Content by Charlotte Elli...

Charlotte Elliott (charlotteelliott@lycos.co.uk) (Cheshire, UK)

Don't You Want Me?
Don't You Want Me?
by India Knight

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not exactly believable., 9 May 2002
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
I've enjoyed India Knight's writing for quite some time. I used to read her column in the Observer avidly and I bought her first book, My life on a Plate and loved it so much I reread it as soon as I'd finished it, and really did send it to several of my friends.
Therefore I was really looking forward to reading her new novel. Unfortunately I found it disappointing in comparison to her first. Some of it is very funny indeed, especially the main character Estelle's observations on the politically correct London playgroup, and her hilarious sexual encounter with a fake tanned plastic surgeon.
However I couldn't help finding the character somewhat irritating and selfish, and she was much less believable than the main character in My Life on a Plate. Having been a single parent myself for many years, I found the fact that Estelle didn't have to work, lived in a huge house and conveniently had a child minder available whenever she had a hangover made me grit my teeth a bit, not exactly believable!
I also thought the ending was fairly predictable from early on in the book.
So overall I give this four stars, I did enjoy it and parts of it did make me laugh, but if you've never read any of her books before, the first one is a better buy.