Profile for Mark > Reviews

Collections for Kindle Fire HDX
Collections for Kindle Fire HDX
Price: 1.83

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 2 May 2014
This is a really useful app seeing as kindle doesn't have their own bookshelf like the iPad does. The only thing is its a bit static. It looks as though it was created by an amateur. The fonts are IMPACT, the books don't change to the colour you want and it doesn't show you the book cover.

Quickstart Italian
Quickstart Italian
by Antonio Borraccino
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 12.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Quickstart Italian (Audio CD)
This was the very first course i tried when i started learning Italian, the content is really good. But its not the best out there. Although you WILL learn some decent Italian it's not a thorough course that will get you to intermediate standard (its only 2 discs). But that's OK, if what you're aiming for is a nice start then this is the course for you.
I recommend Italian All Talk by Linguaphone for a thorough course.

Seven
Seven
by Evan Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely captivating writing!, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Seven (Hardcover)
This collection of short stories is like nothing ive ever read before, the writing style is so easy to get into and I genuinely looked forward to my busride to and from work so I could carry on reading this book. There are 7 short stories (hence the name) the only thing is each story ends on a cliffhanger leaving you hungry for more.
I'd definitely read more of Evan Hunter now that ive read this.

Deutsch Direkt!: Course Book
Deutsch Direkt!: Course Book
by J.L.M. Trim

5.0 out of 5 stars One of THE VERY BEST books for learning German, 17 Feb 2014
I manage a language bookstore and I can honestly say that this book is head and shoulders better than 99.9% of books out there for learning German. Wether you're completely new the language or if you want to improve what you already know, this book will give you a solid command of German.
Some reviews on here have said that you NEED the tapes for this book. You don't. In fact you'll do better without them in my opinion. The tapes tend to speak slower than actual German speech so when you're actually in a German conversation you wouldn't hear them speaking like that.
Some of the words aren't translated on the same page for a reason... they're at the back of the book. The idea is that you read the German, look et the English then read the German again. You read and come across the odd word you haven't been taught. But you'll get the "gist" of what's being said. If that word is really stumbling you look it up at the back of the book. Eventually you understand it all without needing to translate. This method is very effective and is the best way to learn.

Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981]
Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ John Gordon Sinclair

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets Better And Better The More You See It, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
I didn't think I'd like this film, made in the 80s and the cast is now relatively unknown. But I found myself rooting for Gregory, all us lads know how he must feel. There's a fit girl in your school who's popular and nice but you haven't the guys to ask her out. His mates are great (that guy who's boss at baking is my fave).
It's actually a bit risqué in parts. Boobs within the first 60 seconds of the film, the male teachers are (I think) worryingly pervy towards the female students and I the window cleaner and the female teacher are obviously getting it on.
This is a great film, funny, heart-warming and makes you think of your old days in school. Gregory reminds me 15 years ago... lanky and awkward.

Poirot and Me
Poirot and Me
Price: 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read For Poirot Fans, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Poirot and Me (Kindle Edition)
If you're a fan of Poirot you'll love this book. David Suchet has lead a very busy life. While filming the Poirot films he was keeping busy appearing in theatre in the UK and the USA, thus improving his already masterful acting abilities. I really cant imagine anyone else playing Hercule Poirot anymore and I do hope they don't remake any more for many, many years.
David and his co-author write in a style that sounds like he's talking to you which makes it a joy to read.

Teach Yourself Beginner's German (Teach Yourself Books)
Teach Yourself Beginner's German (Teach Yourself Books)
by Teach Yourself Publishing

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST introduction to German there is., 7 Feb 2014
I became interested in German when I was about 12 years old. I borrowed this book from the library and absorbed it in a month. It covers all the basic German you'd need and will get you to a standard good enough to converse on a basic level. From there you can move on to other German courses with ease. It progresses at a nice pace and takes teaches the learner in a fun, relaxed manner.
To this day, the things I learned in it are set firmly in my head.
I'd seriously recommend this book to everyone hoping to learn German.

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (with Cross-References): Old and New Testaments
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Feb 2014
This is a great bible to have. I love the notes and insight it has on each book of the bible and the way it explains things that are mentioned. Such as the culture of that time and why it is relevant. It makes ready the holy scriptures much more of a joy. My only gripe is that it is directed towards Trinitarian ideas.

Verbatim DVD-R Shiny Silver: 43647 (43647)
Verbatim DVD-R Shiny Silver: 43647 (43647)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 5 Feb 2014
I love the fact that these discs are shiny on both sides. It makes my recordings look more professional. I will buy them again in the future.

Polish Course. Kurs jezyka polskiego. Linguaphone (Complete set)
Polish Course. Kurs jezyka polskiego. Linguaphone (Complete set)
by Alina et al SEIDLER

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Polish Course, 5 Feb 2014
There are very few really good Polish courses out there, so when I found a Linguaphone course I was overjoyed. Linguaphone have been producing high quality language instruction courses since the early 20th century so their track record speaks for itself.
This course will take you from absolute beginner to advanced. You are introduced to native speech and polish writing immediately. The handbook explains the dialogue and words used and the grammar is explained in a simple way.
As this course I out of print it is very rare. It is in eBook (PDF) version and mp3. This in no way diminishes the quality of the material. In fact, it keeps it alive and wont wear away over time and takes up virtually no space at home.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6