Profile for Mark > Reviews

Complete German: Teach Yourself
by Paul Coggle
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best book to learn German., 11 July 2014
This is the best book for learning German in my opinion. I think this book is the perfect starting point for anyone looking to get started or brush up what they already know. At the moment, my German is Intermediate and I found I wasn't progressing very quickly until I got this book. It has a very good structure and has explained more complex language points very clearly, ones which I had previously struggled to really understand. Now I understand them, all thanks to TY German.
You'll need the CD get the most out of this book though.

German-English Visual Bilingual Dictionary (DK Bilingual Dictionaries)
German-English Visual Bilingual Dictionary (DK Bilingual Dictionaries)
by Dk
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect for learning vocabulary in todays world, 11 July 2014
Absolutely perfect for learning vocabulary in todays world. All organised into their relative categories. I've learned so much from this dictionary. Seeing the object rather than just the word cements it into your memory.

Laurel And Hardy - Laughing 20's [DVD]
Laurel And Hardy - Laughing 20's [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stan Laurel

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 5 Jun 2014
Some rare clips of Laurel and Hardy when they first started out and other comedy actors of that age in Hal Roach studios. It doesn't get better than Laughing 20's... some of the sketches beat modern comedies by a long shot.

The Wisdom of Psychopaths
The Wisdom of Psychopaths
by Kevin Dutton
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars An Potentially Interesting Subject... Made Tedious, 5 Jun 2014
I couldn't wait to get stuck into this, the idea that Psychopaths have some things to teach us sounds really interesting. But I found it poorly written. The sentences don't flow and you find yourself re-reading the same paragraph to understand what he's trying to say when in most cases more simple wording would've worked better. There are some great case studies in there and that's the only reason why this gets any stars at all.

Teach Yourself German (TYCC)
Teach Yourself German (TYCC)
by Paul Coggle

5.0 out of 5 stars Easyly the BEST book to learn German, 23 May 2014
I've tried and tested many language instruction books but this is by far the best one ive come across to learn German. The structure and pace is perfect and grammar is explained well so that it's easily undersood. I've been struggling for months and months with German syntax and grammar and this book just blown it all away. I have progressed more in a few days than months of study elsewhere.

I highly recommend to get the CD that goes with this too. It's usually about 20 but you can get it cheaper at language-learning.org

Collections for Kindle Fire HDX
Collections for Kindle Fire HDX
Price: 1.83

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 2 May 2014
This is a really useful app seeing as kindle doesn't have their own bookshelf like the iPad does. The only thing is its a bit static. It looks as though it was created by an amateur. The fonts are IMPACT, the books don't change to the colour you want and it doesn't show you the book cover.

Quickstart Italian
Quickstart Italian
by Antonio Borraccino
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 12.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Quickstart Italian (Audio CD)
This was the very first course i tried when i started learning Italian, the content is really good. But its not the best out there. Although you WILL learn some decent Italian it's not a thorough course that will get you to intermediate standard (its only 2 discs). But that's OK, if what you're aiming for is a nice start then this is the course for you.
I recommend Italian All Talk by Linguaphone for a thorough course.

Seven
Seven
by Evan Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely captivating writing!, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Seven (Hardcover)
This collection of short stories is like nothing ive ever read before, the writing style is so easy to get into and I genuinely looked forward to my busride to and from work so I could carry on reading this book. There are 7 short stories (hence the name) the only thing is each story ends on a cliffhanger leaving you hungry for more.
I'd definitely read more of Evan Hunter now that ive read this.

Deutsch Direkt!: Course Book
Deutsch Direkt!: Course Book
by J.L.M. Trim

5.0 out of 5 stars One of THE VERY BEST books for learning German, 17 Feb 2014
I manage a language bookstore and I can honestly say that this book is head and shoulders better than 99.9% of books out there for learning German. Wether you're completely new the language or if you want to improve what you already know, this book will give you a solid command of German.
Some reviews on here have said that you NEED the tapes for this book. You don't. In fact you'll do better without them in my opinion. The tapes tend to speak slower than actual German speech so when you're actually in a German conversation you wouldn't hear them speaking like that.
Some of the words aren't translated on the same page for a reason... they're at the back of the book. The idea is that you read the German, look et the English then read the German again. You read and come across the odd word you haven't been taught. But you'll get the "gist" of what's being said. If that word is really stumbling you look it up at the back of the book. Eventually you understand it all without needing to translate. This method is very effective and is the best way to learn.

Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981]
Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ John Gordon Sinclair
Offered by rightpricediscs
Price: 18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets Better And Better The More You See It, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
I didn't think I'd like this film, made in the 80s and the cast is now relatively unknown. But I found myself rooting for Gregory, all us lads know how he must feel. There's a fit girl in your school who's popular and nice but you haven't the guys to ask her out. His mates are great (that guy who's boss at baking is my fave).
It's actually a bit risqué in parts. Boobs within the first 60 seconds of the film, the male teachers are (I think) worryingly pervy towards the female students and I the window cleaner and the female teacher are obviously getting it on.
This is a great film, funny, heart-warming and makes you think of your old days in school. Gregory reminds me 15 years ago... lanky and awkward.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5