Profile for Abbicadabri > Reviews

Content by Abbicadabri

Abbicadabri (London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Time (The Revelator)
Time (The Revelator)
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic album, 18 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Time (The Revelator) (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Gillian Welch until I came across the song 'Revelator' by chance. I liked it so much I took a gamble and purchased the album and I was blown away. I was also gutted to hear that the duo played in London and I didn't know about her at the time.

Being a Nashville gal, Welch has that natural country drawl, that others aspire to and a pure vocal tone with beautiful intonation. The songwriting is simple, melodic and well thought-out and producer Dave Rawlings' bittersweet guitar playing is first rate. The overall vibe is a couple of musos playing country music on the front porch.on a summer evening. However, the music draws on folk, roots and blues influences and the lyrics have a rock and roll sensibility, with references to Elvis Presley and greasy haired lovers. The tracks are allowed to breathe and there is a sparseness not often heard in modern recordings.

Aside from the stunning opener 'Reveator' and the epic closing track 'I Dream A Highway', the standout song for me is 'Everything Is Free' - check it out and see what I mean. This album is so good, I'm hoping that the others are too.

Lee Men's Daren Slim Jeans, Worn Grayly, W32/L34
Lee Men's Daren Slim Jeans, Worn Grayly, W32/L34

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool., 30 May 2016
Great jeans, great colour and comfy fit, not too tight on the waist or leg. I like the faded look, they are pricey but they are very cool.

The Collection
The Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful collection, 30 May 2016
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
I once saw Mary Black live at the Mean Fiddler and she performed a mesmerising vesion of Ellis Island, one of the songs on this collection.

This is a collection of excellent songs such as The Moon and St Christopher, Columbus and Adam At The Window, all of which showcase Mary's voice perfectly. Everyone should have this.

Tracker
Tracker

5.0 out of 5 stars Best quid I ever spent, 30 May 2016
This review is from: Tracker (Audio CD)
I picked this up for a quid in a cash exchange shop (yes, that one). Best quid I ever spent. I have to say that whoever got rid of it needs their flippin' head testing!

This is the first Knopfler solo album I have ever heard and it takes me somewhere else after a deathly dull day at work. The songs have a folk/roots feel with excellent and subtle contributions from the likes of Mike McGoldrick and John McCusker.

The lyrics are about ordinary folk, the vocal lines are melodic and the guitar playing is first rate, whether acoustic or electric. A secial treat is the single Beryl, full of fender strat chime and a hark back to early Dire Straits and Going Home. I also love Long Cool Girl, and I like to imagine she's on bv's.

The album is so good, I'm such a notorious tight wad, but I'm going to shell out for the posh version with extra tracks and invest in a Beryl Bainbridge novel (1p on Amazon like a good book should be). Nice one, Knopfler.

Closer To The People
Closer To The People

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 19 April 2016
This review is from: Closer To The People (Audio CD)
How great, in this day and age of processed music, to have an artist who doesn't sound like anyone else!

This album is a gem. The album is predominantly acoustic and the presence of a double bass gives it a jazz feel, along with an instrumentation of sax/flute, guitar, piano and sometimes strings. The opening Glass Love Train is reminiscent of the classical minimalism of the Michael Nyman Band. Elsewhere the influences are drawn from pop, soul and gospel, even Horace Silver and Thelonius Monk Highlights include Cool Waters, Don't Turn Your Back on Me and Night Is a Bird. The lyrics, with sensual undertones, are typically ambiguous, all part of the intrigue of Tanita Tikaram. I was lucky enough to see her live with her band and the songs really came to life in the concert hall. If you are thinking about buying this album, just do it!

Sibelius: Symphonies [John Storgards, BBC Philharmonic] [Chandos: CHAN 10809(3)]

5.0 out of 5 stars Stoic Storgards, 26 Mar. 2015
I really like these performances of the Sibelius Symphonies here and I particularly like the fact that these recordings are relatively free of egotistical intervention and the music seems to flow naturally and the tempi never become plodding or pedestrian. I am particularly fond of the versions of the 3rd and the 6th Symphonies, perhaps two of the most beautiful symphonies, both on the same disc - and Storgards really does them justice.

I hear things in these Chandos recordings that I have never heard on recordings before, like thundering double basses and rich cellos. There are some beautiful wind solos, particularly from the principal oboe. My one minor quibble is the violin sound. When you consider that Sibelius was a violinist, sometimes I feel that the violins don't always have enough fullness or sparkle in the orchestral tuttis like you get with the Berlin Phil or the Ashkenazy Philharmonia recordings, and I think Sibelius would have wanted that. I have often felt this in modern Sibelius recordings about the string sections, so maybe it's more to do with recording techniques (something I know nothing about) than the actual orchestras' string sections.

Because I am so fond of the consistent interpretations, I am awarding this recording five stars for excellent musicianship. Highly recommended

Zero Tolerance for Silence
Zero Tolerance for Silence

5.0 out of 5 stars Pat Metheny rocks out, 10 Feb. 2015
I once read that Pat Metheny said of this album it was what he wanted to say at the time.

A musician who has always experimented, from the early days of his ECM output to the incredible “orchestrion” project, and the weird and wonderful guitars and sounds he has invented and created. Of course, when you are a top selling recording artist with a following, you probably feel obliged to produce the kind of music your following might like to hear, or you might be a slave to a record label in order to shift units.

Anyone with creative intelligence would naturally be inclined to push boundaries from time to time. I think that if you can understand why Pat Metheny might make an album like this, then you can appreciate it for what it is.

I detect a strong blues / rock influence in this album. Part I is a relentless sea of electric guitar fuzz. Acoustic guitar comes into play in “Part V”. It does have melody – in “Part II” for example. Part IV is verging on Deep Purple territory. If you want to hear Metheny do ‘Black Knight’ (well, kind of), this is definmitely one to pick up!

Snowflakes And Jazzamatazz - The Christmas Collection
Snowflakes And Jazzamatazz - The Christmas Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Jazzamatazz, 5 Dec. 2014
You don't get much more Christmassy than the highly talented Shakatak - who wouldn't want them for Christmas?

This is a terrific CD. It features tracks from their previously released Christmas albums plus some brand spanking new ones. Even if you have their other Christmas albums, the new tracks are so good that you just have to get this one too. The playing and writing gets better with maturity.

Some of the highlights include the lovely instrumentals `Auld Lang Syne', `Silent Eve' and the partly sung `Christmas Eve' with its Pachelbel Canon style intro. Although to be fair, I like the whole shebang, there's not a bad track here. Plus you get special Christmas greetings from the lovely Jill and Bill.

Don't bore yourself with TV trash on Christmas day, put this CD on, get the mistletoe out and have a snog!

Life Less Ordinary
Life Less Ordinary

3.0 out of 5 stars Sax Pop and Girly Vocals, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Life Less Ordinary (Audio CD)
A Berklee College of Music Graduate, Mindi Abair has an impressive CV, ranging from work with Duran Duran and The Backstreet Boys to Lee Ritenour and Peter White.

This is a mixed bag album of sax instrumentals, some of which featture Mindi on vocals. She posesses a sweet, little girl lost type voice, more of a pop voice than anything else, some of the trains being wordless vocals with just a few "da da da's". The tracks themselves vary in style from funk, rock and blues to pop.

It's a pleasant enough album, she has a mellow tone and not perhaps quite as saccharine as the likes of smooth jazzers like Kenny G and Dave Koz. For me personally, I personally was hoping for more of a smooth jazz vibe, so it doesn't quite have enough substance to keep me coming back for more.

Complete String Quintets
Complete String Quintets

5.0 out of 5 stars New Mozart String Quintet recordings, 15 July 2014
I have long known these outstanding quintets and the old recordings suffer from problems with balance and sound quality whilst the highly recommended Grumiaux version from the 1970s is perhaps more reliable.

The Sine Nomine Quartet with Raphael Oleg come up trumps here. The recorded sound and balance is good as are the musicianship, the phrasing, small detail such as vibrato style, and choices of tempi. I like violas, as did Mozart, and these recordings bring out the richness of the extra alto voice as opposed to some recordings which can be violin or cello heavy. When you hear these works performed in a concert hall, you realise how much warmth can be lost on recording.

I rate this version very highly. If you are looking for a good modern recording of these works, this is definitely worth investigating.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5