Profile for Reviewer from the sewer > Reviews

Content by Reviewer from ...

Reviewer from the sewer (London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Door to Door
Door to Door

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pop album, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Door to Door (Audio CD)
I always associated The Cars with the song 'Drive' and Live Aid and overpaid pop stars under the influence asking for our effin' money. I never liked 'Drive' because of that.

Years later, I heard 'You Are The Girl' on the radio, not realising it was The Cars, bought the album and liked it a lot. Melodic, feel-good new wave synth/guitar pop never over-produced or overtly commercial - 'Coming Up You' is a gem as is 'Go Away'. There are also some lovely reflective moments such as 'Fine Line' which reminds me of Lloyd Cole, and 'Wound Up On You'. The heavier title track 'Door to Door' is the weakest track and I never play it.

This is one of those albums I never tire of, and you can always introduce it to your mates as they've probably never heard it before.

Guilty Pleasures
Guilty Pleasures

5.0 out of 5 stars Howzat!, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Guilty Pleasures (Audio CD)
There aren't many 70's compilations where every track is a corker. Well this one is.
They are all the original recordings. I got this primarily because I wanted Howzat by Sherbert which isn't easy to find.
But then you get other gems such as the funky Couldn't Get It Right by Climax Blues Band, Pinball by Brian Protheroe and Wide Eyed and Legless by Amen Corner's Andy Fairweather Low.
Nothing to feel guilty about. BUY IT NOW!

And the 5 O'clock Shadows
And the 5 O'clock Shadows
Offered by Bargaindiscsltd
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Desert Island Disc, 23 Mar 2013
What a cracking CD. I would take this to a desert island and never tire of it. I used to hear the opening track 'No Money at All' on BBC local radio in the north in the 80s. I eventually found this album on the Silvertone Label and it blew me away.
The first five tracks in particular are killers. His voice is great, the songs are first rate and so is the musicianship. And the production is perfect for the style of music. If I had to pick a favourite it would be 'Wrong Decision'. But to be honest, every track is a favouite. Snap this one up while you can.

12" Mixes
12" Mixes
Price: 9.55

4.0 out of 5 stars No City Rhythm?, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: 12" Mixes (Audio CD)
These guys can really play their instruments to a very high standard, were always way too good for the charts and this is a great collection. I have to say that if there is any vinyl mastering here, I can't tell at all.

Some of the 12" mixes aren't really much longer or much different than the originals, but that doesn't put me off too much.

However, they haven't put one of my favourites on here - 'City Rhythm' - that great 12" mix with all of it's glorious "shabba dabbas", where is it? So many times collections albums are released and they miss off a great track. So that's why I'm only giving it four stars whereas otherwise it would have been five!

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Price: 14.83

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a LIVE CD & DVD, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
A weird live DVD and live CD with four studio demos thrown in. The CD cover doesn't say that it's live, it doesn't say where the shows are filmed and some of the same songs appear twice on the DVD, albeit at a different venue.

On the DVD there's a Q&A section with Gary & Eddie - I counted about 4 questions - with poor sound quality. There are also some artsy photos of band members plus the same 4 demo tracks which also feature on the CD.

The rare demos are the most interesting bit of the audio CD. 'Too Blind to See', the strongest one, is a light vocal track with Ed singing lead on the verse and Gary on the chorus. 'Real Tears and How That Feels' is a track from the Warped by Success album and doesn't sound much, if at all different to the original album version.

I am a long time CC fan but 4 stars for milking old songs for every last penny, and for not saying it's a live album on the cover.

New CC material please lads!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2014 10:11 PM BST

Ultimate Crisis
Ultimate Crisis
Price: 7.54

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dog's Undercarriage, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Crisis (Audio CD)
I'm a China Crisis hardcore Fan from the early days, so I've got most things they've done, including several compilations. They always miss tracks off compilations (Little Italy, anyone?), and the quality of the music is so beautiful that any CC track you omit is going to be missed.

The selling point of this compilation is that these tracks are re-mastered, so you're hearing things like never before. It sounds to me like they tracks have been compressed, so the drums and bass sound beefier and the vocal sits further back in the mix. It's nice to get album tracks like 'In Northern Skies', 'Hampton Beach' and the amazing Here Come (get that "s" off the end, Amazon) a Raincloud. Click your fingers to 'Animalistic', swivel yer hips to 'A Golden Handshake For Every Daughter' and handjive to 'Some People I Know To Lead Fantastic Lives'. And is 'Cucumber Garden' an innuendo? Buy it and find out!

Jewel Link: Galactic Quest (Nintendo DS)
Jewel Link: Galactic Quest (Nintendo DS)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this game THIS VERY MINUTE!, 4 Dec 2012
Very addictive and one of the best match 3 games with a scintillating space twist, making a welcome change from dreary old ancient Rome and Egypt. As well as matching 3 in a row you get to use power-ups by pressing various keys and you can collect trophies as well as assemble pictures of spacecraft.

Best thing about this is the excellent music which I would describe as ethereal space-age electronica; it gets me really engrossed n shakin' my thang in the exciting Galactic Quest space challenge. Love it! Buy it!

Milhaud:Music For Wind Instruments
Milhaud:Music For Wind Instruments
Price: 6.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Through the Night, 12 Nov 2012
Darius Milhaud is criminally underrated in the UK in favour of overly romantic mush and histrionics. These works are charmingly concise, in Milhaud's own inimitable style and stylistically not unlike Erik Satie with short movements, none of which lasts much more than three minutes each. Never overly sentimental but always thematically busy, there is a great mind at work at work beneath the lightness of the ensemble.

Perhaps the best-known piece here is `Roi René's Chimney', of which listeners to BBC radio 3's `Through The Night' may recognise the last movement, `Madrigal Nocturne' as the signature music.

The playing of the Athena Ensemble is spot on in terms of ensemble, dynamics and choices of tempi. This is a quality recording from 1991 which I highly recommend.

Charmer
Charmer
Price: 13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves the best for last, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Charmer (Audio CD)
A fairly uptempo guitar pop album interspersed with twinkly synth and piano. I detected hints of Blondie, The Cars and even Supertramp ('Crazytown') here while still sounding like Aimee Mann.

Standout tracks for me are 'Labrador', 'Living a Lie' featuring James Mercer of The Shins, and my the closing track 'Red Flag Diver' which would make a good road movie song, and is too short.

Occasionally the words are lost in the mix. Some of the hooks are stronger than others, the choruses are not all that easy to sing along to, and as always with Aimee, we have our own personal faves. 'Gamma Ray' is probably the weakest track here. It's quite a short album too, only 38 minutes or so.

Having said all that I really like it and feel it's worth five stars. A feelgood album in a grown-up stylee, and free of conveyor belt processing. Treat yourself.

EI8HT
EI8HT
Price: 11.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not his best, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: EI8HT (Audio CD)
Having had some time to live with this album, I can say that the production and the voice is as good as ever here. However, I don't think it carries as quite much clout as his last album which was always going to be difficult to beat.

'Ei8ht' has got some good tunes, 'Runaway' being the standout track for me, followed by 'These Tears' and 'Rock of Ages'.

There are also a few less engaging tracks such as 'Stuff', 'You're the Best' and 'Enjoy The Ride', which after such a long gap between albums are slightly disappointing. I miss the chord progressions and unusual time changes that have always made Nik so unique. But he is a great musician, so a generous four stars from me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5