Profile for Filipeport > Reviews

Content by Filipeport

Filipeport (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Portable Basketball Stand Backboard Hoop Net Set Adult Senior Hoopman Hoopster (Height: 2m~3.05m adjustable) NEW
Offered by MHSTAR

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. Good quality, easy to assemble, fast delivery, kid loves it, 12 May 2013
The quality is really good and it looks good. Received within 2 days of ordering and it was well packed. The supporting pole is a nice shiny black of good quality as is the rim. The backboard is a decent size. It shakes a little if you use the backboard or shoot a brick but nothing that would really make a difference. I grew up playing basketball and it does the job just fine.

I currently have it set at the minimum height so that my 6 year-old can play. He really likes it although he needs to shoot underhand and he has to be near the basket. He has been playing with a normal sized basketball and it would be easier with a smaller and lighter ball. I would expect an 8 year-old to be able to shoot normally at the 2 metre height (lowest height) basket. I preferred to get something that my son might find a little tall in the beginning but could grow into than buying the lower baskets that I would have to replace in a year or two. However, one must consider the strength of the child and the age.

The backboard color is a mixture of black and white as per the photo. I found it strange when looking at the photo but now that I have it, it is fine. Probably better than white since it does not reflect the light. It looks really nice with the red, white and blue net.

It has wheels to move it. However, I question whether one can move it with the wheels once it is full of water. I actually move it off my drive. I have filled the base about half full with water and to move it, I use a basic 2 wheel trolley that I bought at B&Q for about £12. With the trolley, it is really easy to move. You just slide it under the base (the end with the pole) and pull the pole towards you as you dip the trolley back. Real easy. However, when putting it away for the night, I do tie it up (i.e. tie a rope around it and connect it to something solid) so that I do not have the risk of the wind knocking it down. Naturally, if you do not plan to move it then fill it fully with water or you might find that you can move it completely full with water.

The instructions were OK. Assembling (comes with Allen key and wrench) it was not difficult and the only part that requires 2 people in my view is the last part when you connect the pole with the backboard to the main pole. I did not assemble it all at once so difficult to say how long it would take. I would say between 30 - 45 minutes.

Some tips to put together:
1) The wheels snap into place so just push down until you hear them snap into place.
2) The instructions refer to 3 poles by size (i.e. length) but the real difference is diameter. The bottom pole has the largest diameter. In order for the pole to fit in the base, you need to twist it. This will get it down to the point at which you can slide the metal bar that keeps it in place. You will need the pole to be slightly higher to get the bar into the first hole of the pole. You then twist the pole back and forth to get it to go lower until you can get the bar out the other hole.
3) Make sure the security warning tab is facing the side people are going to shoot from (i.e. the short end of the base). The hole for height adjustment needs to face the base.
4) When screwing the Y bar into the back of the backboard, the screws will not go in completely with your fingers alone. However, once you use the Allen key, they will go in like they are supposed to.

One last thing, for any father that is thinking to relive their youth or wants to copy the NBA players, I would advise against dunking and hanging on the rim. It is sturdy but that would be pushing it...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2014 4:08 PM BST

Griffin Apple iPad Stylus Pen
Griffin Apple iPad Stylus Pen
Offered by total digital stores

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted a week before the rubber part fell off, 21 Dec. 2012
The rubber part fell off after a week. Not so cheap if one considers the cost for only a week's use. Surely there must be better products out there.

Duronic TVS45A1 Oval Contemporary Design Glass Stand with Overhang for 29-42 inch TV - Black/Clear

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning about the feet, 2 Aug. 2012
This is just to warn people about the feet. There is a metal rod that runs inside each leg and comes out at the bottom. One cannot see it from the photo but the issue is that you end up with piece of round metal, around 1 cm in diameter, in contact with your floor or rug. From the photo, it looks like normal round feet that would not dig into a wooden floor or rug. However, the reality is that you end up with a thin rod that will dig into your wooden floor or rug. The solution is to buy a something plastic to put between the metal rods and your floor. I bought something at B&Q that does the trick but it did cost me around £7 (money I did not think I needed to spend when buying the stand).

After saying the above, the rest of the stand is fine. I would point out that the middle shelf is all black and in the photo there would seem to be a lighter circle around the outside.

I have a 40 inch LED TV on it. Fits perfectly. The width of the stand and TV are the same.

This review was mainly to warn one about the feet. I would still recommend the stand but you should know that you will probably have to buy something to protect the floor.

Mega Bloks Blok Squad Buildable Fire Patrol Station Playset
Mega Bloks Blok Squad Buildable Fire Patrol Station Playset
Offered by DIRECT DISCOUNTS

1.0 out of 5 stars Only if you like 956 piece puzzle and pieces that don't fit together that well., 27 Jan. 2012
The pieces do not come separated in bags specific to each toy (i.e. fire engine, truck, helicopter, etc). Therefore, it is a massive puzzle and the only way your kid will be able to play with this toy is if you first separate all the pieces into individual bags for each toy. This will take you hours! I am not exaggerating. Also, the pieces do not fit together as well as Lego pieces do therefore your kid may get frustrated.

I thought I was getting a great deal but now wish I would have paid the premium for Lego and had all those hours back that I spent dividing up all the pieces.

Vogue Ben 10 Plastic Bin
Vogue Ben 10 Plastic Bin
Offered by Beautifeye

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture of Ben 10 is on the other side, 12 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Vogue Ben 10 Plastic Bin (Toy)
Just in case anybody was wondering, the other side of the bin has Ben 10 and a red haired girl. Not much more to say about a bin.

Using Microsoft OneNote 2010
Using Microsoft OneNote 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, easy to read and videos are short and easy to follow (yes, you can watch them if you buy Kindle edition), 28 Oct. 2011
I have the Kindle edition and would read it on the commute to work. It is easy to read and well laid out.

A few comments on what OneNote does. In simple terms it is an electronic notebook. In other words, instead of taking notes on paper, you take it on your computer. Some of the benefits are that you can always create more space (insert rows, move things around, etc), put your notes into sections, use the search engine to find items, etc. For example, you may have 5 different conference calls in a day and you can immediately categorize the five calls into different sections and simply add to those sections the next time you have a call on that topic. You can also create tags to follow up on items and add to your current notes. Naturally, this applies to course work if you are studying. Outside of work, you can use it to prepare for a holiday. You can just copy things from a website and OneNote will keep the link. Examples, are hotels, restaurants, sites to see and flights. You can bring it all into one place and simply add each day. You would then have everything in one spot for when you wanted to plan / make final decisions regarding your trip. Finally, it links in with Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, etc so that you can bring those items into OneNote.

You do get access to the videos even if you buy the Kindle edition. I state this because I read a U.S. comment that complained that one could not get access to the videos if one did not have the paper edition. The Kindle does not come with a code but you go to the site and you only need to enter the ISDN code which you can find in the book description on the Amazon page where you buy it (i.e. where you are reading my review). I found the videos really easy to watch and quite helpful. On average, I would say they are 4 to 8 minutes long. You see his screen and he just clicks on the buttons and explains what he is doing. The videos are all indexed so you can choose which ones you want watch. In fact, you may find the videos enough and not even bother reading the book.

I read this book before ever using OneNote and the book has introduced me to a great piece of software that, to be honest, I had never even heard of (I am heavy user of Outlook, Excel and Word). I consider that this is a good investment if anybody wants to move to an electronic notebook. The benefits are primarily the ability to keep everything in one spot, move things around and search quickly for items. My work is project based and I work on a lot of different projects. OneNote allows one to easily keep notes for each project and then search them later. This is a great plus when compared to old paper notebooks that are heavy to carry around and one cannot easily find things. If you like writing notes, then you may consider an electronic pen that would transfer your hand written notes to OneNote and you could then categorize them in OneNote.

Helix Clear-up Desk Tidy 5 Tube Holders Black R40077
Helix Clear-up Desk Tidy 5 Tube Holders Black R40077
Offered by love Office Stuffs (VAT Reg.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Very small, the picture is misleading, not for kids, 14 Oct. 2011
You can fit about 6 pens in the tall slots. I was looking for something for my kid to keep all his pencils in, etc. This is too small.

It is cheap and it looks cheap.

If you just want something to hold a few pens on a desk then I guess you will be OK with this.

25mm Height Adjuster Chrome (Unpacked) HJZ
25mm Height Adjuster Chrome (Unpacked) HJZ
Offered by Trade In Post Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Holds a standard shower head (I have a Mira shower head), 17 Aug. 2011
Quality wise, it is cheap plastic but you cannot tell from just looking at it.
Functionality: you can adjust the height and you can adjust the angle.

Little note for when mounting. The part that holds the shower head should stick out the left side when you face the shower bar that holds the bracket. I note this because at first I mounted this like in the photo and like my old bracket, which held the shower head on your right when facing the bar. However, the shower bracket is then too small to hold the shower head. The piece that holds the shower head is shaped like a funnel so wider at one end than the other.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2014 11:01 AM BST

Philips CD2753S/05 Cordless Phone with Answering Machine
Philips CD2753S/05 Cordless Phone with Answering Machine

3.0 out of 5 stars Answering machine does not time stamp calls, 26 July 2011
The answering machine does not time stamp calls. In other words, the answering machine will not tell you the date and time of voice messages. I tried to find this information out before buying but no luck so hopefully this will help you if this is important to you.

Hanging up on somebody does not free the line unless they hang up. In other words, you hang up and then want to make another call but you cannot make the next call until the other person hangs up and frees the line. They are still on the line. Strange.

Sound quality is very good. Speaker works really well. I would say battery life is fine but I do not use the phone continuously for hours so maybe not the best person to review battery life.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2011 12:00 PM BST

Womens Designer sports bags, designer gym bags holdall travel bag
Womens Designer sports bags, designer gym bags holdall travel bag
Offered by Fitness Sports Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Good gym bag, does the job, 21 Nov. 2010
I use it to go to the gym. It carries my shoes, towel and a change of clothes. I find the end pockets useful. I put my wallet and keys in one pocket. The other pocket has a mesh part at the top so gets air and this pocket I use for toiletries.

The stripe is gray although it looks white in the photo. Personally, I think this is good since less likely to show dirt.

I would say that the bag is too small for a weekend bag. Shoes take up around 30% of the bag and it is not very long so dress shirts would have to be folded twice.

Page: 1 | 2