Profile for jaylon wennings > Reviews

jaylon wennings

It Still Moves
It Still Moves

5.0 out of 5 stars good for the soul, 13 April 2014
This review is from: It Still Moves (Audio CD)
I bought this back when it was released, probably after reading a Q Magazine review, and didn't like it. I didn't like Jim's vocal reverb, or the way he seemed to be singing slightly sharp all the time, so I judged it too quickly and forgot it. I came across the CD out in my garage and played it again out of curiosity 2 or 3 years ago and have been hooked ever since. Seven years older and I heard it totally differently - I love country, rock, americana, and big expansive music and this is all of the above at its best. I now have 3 preschool children who like to see music on the TV so I've ordered the DVD of Okonokos for them. No X-Factor in our house.

The Last Waltz [1978] [DVD]
The Last Waltz [1978] [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Band
Offered by MusicnMedia

1.0 out of 5 stars 2006 DVD release, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Last Waltz [1978] [DVD] (DVD)
This is worth having as a curiosity, for the £4 I paid, but I don't know how it was ever described as the greatest rock film (or whatever). If you want to hear the band live get a Rock of Ages CD instead, and I believe the critic who said The Last Waltz sounds better if you can't see it. The real problem is Robertson's dead-eyed and self-serving monologues, all of which have an entirely rehearsed quality and are entirely boring. In the stage footage itself he lacks charisma and looks like the gifted session/backing band guitarist he undoubtedly was, but not the leader Scorsese's camera fantasises him to be. The other four are neglected, most frustratingly.

On the plus side, Van Morrison steals the show.

Hamlet (Signature Shakespeare)
Hamlet (Signature Shakespeare)
by William Shakespeare

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely house-book, 6 Oct. 2013
This is a large book and it won't suit you at all if you're looking for something portable, but that aside I'd highly recommend it if you don't mind spending the money. I'm sure there are superior editions for people who care more about the text than the appearance, but it's my weakness that I like book to be a nice object. I personally don't see the point or attraction of the illustrations that are cut over several pages but there aren't that many of them. In my copy one or two pages were imperfectly printed which was disappointing but not enough to spoil the overall product. Reading through the work is made quite easy as notes and explanations are always on the facing page. I also enjoyed the introductory essay. I will be buying more of these and I hope they go on to print more than the four plays currently available.

Moby Dick (Modern Library)
Moby Dick (Modern Library)
by Herman Melville

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Library Hardcover, 5 Oct. 2013
I started Moby two or three times in my late teens/early twenties and was thrown off. I bought this nice hardcover (Modern Library) edition, knowing that I would be more likely to get through the book that way, merely to justify the expense. It worked - I read right through and loved every page, and enjoyed the physical book itself. Highly recommended unless you are a better human than I, and value the words so far above the packaging that you just don't care.

Our Necessary Shadow: The Nature and Meaning of Psychiatry
Our Necessary Shadow: The Nature and Meaning of Psychiatry
by Tom Burns

4.0 out of 5 stars a good overview from the inside, 27 July 2013
This is a warts-and-all view of psychiatry from the inside. There is a lot of contemporary debate, particularly online, about the validity of "mental illness" and the "medical model" used to treat it. The pragmatic reality however is that if people with mental health problems are to be assisted by the health services, then doctors are needed to pronounce illness and sort according to diagnosis, however imperfect the labels themselves may be. Professor Burns is very clear in the book about his opinion that psychiatry is not just another medical specialty, just as depression is something different in quality from a chest infection. Psychiatrists and patients alike are aware of these differences whether they admit it or not, and it can make psychiatry a complicated and uncertain business. Nevertheless, anyone who has worked as a doctor in this field will have seen people being helped enormously despite all the difficult dilemmas, and the book conveys this also. I would recommend it to anyone considering entering psychiatric training, and from my own point of view I found it a useful and enjoyable refresher on the history of my profession.

SMDV Remote Shutter Release Cable for Pentax K-5, K-7, K-m, x70, X90, K200d, K20d, K100D Super, K10D

4.0 out of 5 stars does the job, 1 Feb. 2013
this comes in a package that says "for canon" but it works okay with my K5. you need to use the sliding button hold-down function however as it doesn't seem to interface with the camera's menu option that supposedly sets the control for press-to-open/press-again-to-close in bulb mode. also it feels a little cheap. but then again it's a fraction of the price of the Pentax unit. i was pleased with it.

Reading Joyce
Reading Joyce
by David Pierce

5.0 out of 5 stars reading joyce by david pierce, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Reading Joyce (Paperback)
i bought this last year before i re-attempted ulysses and the end result was that i finally got through joyce's masterpiece. i recently ordered another copy of this book to gift to a colleague in a similar position. "reading joyce" feels nice to hold and open, it's full of illustrations that enrich the text, and pierce writes in a musing, creative, semi-autobiographical style that draws you into his own enthusiasm for the literature. the book is the opposite of dry and technical, and yet full of deep knowledge all the same. couldn't recommend it highly enough. thankyou to the author for taking the time to produce this gem.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars yamaha thr5, 31 Jan. 2013
got this today and have spent several hours playing with it. it's even smaller than I expected (a good thing) and I can get a decent crunch out of it without waking any of my family up (wife and 3 kids under 3), unlike bigger/more powerful amps. the effects are great fun and the hall reverb in particular is very gratifying. worth noting - I pulled it off a 3ft high table onto a wooden floor by accident and there wasn't a mark on it after so it must be built well. very pleased. exactly what I needed.