ARRAY(0xa6c4f318)

Profile for Mr. J. Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Williams

Mr. J. Williams "J Willi" (Leeds, UK)

FIFA 14 (PS4)
FIFA 14 (PS4)
Price: 39.85

5.0 out of 5 stars All non Fifa fans.. Buy this now!, 13 Jan 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 14 (PS4) (Video Game)
Recent Pes player, however due to upgrading to PS4 and only Fifa being available, I thought I would give it a try.

It's amazing how far Fifa has come since I tried Fifa 09. No longer can you just play through balls and be 1-1 with the keeper all the time which made it too easy and you always scored the same type of goals. You can pass the ball around and build up play and when you score it feels rewarding, just like old Pes did.

The graphics are excellent and career mode is well balanced. The menu's are slick using the new tile system. The game is held together well with the commentry running throughout the match with facts on your new signings, retiring players and scores from other matches. It then follows into the menu system which updates you on all the scores and the current standing. This means you can do other things whilst listening to whats been happening.

Everything just seems to work and if they keep the gameplay as good as this, I wont be giving Pes another lookin.

I would highly recommend this game if you like Football
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2014 7:59 PM GMT

PES 2014 (PS3)
PES 2014 (PS3)
Price: 19.37

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfinished Game, but still great to play, 9 Oct 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PES 2014 (PS3) (Video Game)
I was really excited this year to play the new engine and the game for me hasn't disappointed. I have owned every Pes and I must admit it has taken a serious change of course this year. The game annimation has slowed down the game making you build up play and pass the ball around which makes the feeling of scoring a goal more rewarding then ever. How players play/react in real life football is identicle of that in PES.

The Master League has lost all the cut scenes which makes it quicker to get through, it's like they have stripped it down and started again as there are only the basic options (Negotiations, contracts, fixtures, records). Me personally prefer this and it's something they can add to, being able to trade players again would be good. You can now buy players easily by using the 'chances of signing' tool. I have managed to buy players with as little as 15% chances of signing so it is not impossible like last years version.

There are adjustments you can make to the shooting, passing and speed of the game and I think a few negative reviews have been made without adjusting these. There are 3 different types of shooting styles, Basic, Advanced, and manual. I am curently playing with Basic however using the L2 button in the game allows you to do a manual shot when you want which is when the shots are harder and you are then able to score from outside the box, this does take some practice however makes it more realistic in that not every ball will go on target depending on how good you are.

For passing there is an assist bar with 5 settings. I have this on 4/5 which allows the COM to straighten the pass for me, again you can use L2 at any time to perform an manual pass. The through balls on this setting do need to be improved though. After a few plays you will realise that performing a one-two pass is the best way of getting through on goal.

The game speed I play on +2 which speeds up the game closer to previous versions of the game. Unfortunately the game still slows when the ball goes into the penalty box.

What I like:-

Dirt on Kits after making slide tackles
Unlimited slots for edit mode
3rd Kits
Updated Graphics + animations
Able to change teams in Master League and manage nation sides.
Sign Players easier in Master League
Unpredictable ball deflections
Engine makes collisions and tackles more relistic
Great sliding tackles/blocking
Option to make your own music playlist and install custom chants for teams

What I don't like:-

No weather options, only day and night play
Game released with only a select few players faces (Patch to come out soon with 1000's)
Stuttering cut scenes (a few plays on mine and installation of the game helped but they do re-appear every so often)
Very few stadiums, this means home grounds for small teams are massive which is not realistic.
Edited badges take longer to load within the game which means by the time they load you are already skipping to the next scene which makes them pointless.
Almost impossible to score from the outside of the box using basic shooting

I am waiting to see if the first patch will sort a few of the bugs which would make this one of my favorite pes' of all time. Until then I am disappointed they chose to release the game half finished which is why I have marked the game overall 3 stars. For me though it is still the most fun you can have in a football game.

If you love previous Pes' you will be aware of the learning curve involved every year, if you are prepared to stick with this you will be rewarded with a great experience.

LG 42LW550T 42-inch Widescreen Cinema Full HD 1080p 3D 100Hz LED Smart Internet TV with Freeview HD

5.0 out of 5 stars If your looking for LED, Cinema 3D and smart tv look no further, 8 Jan 2012

Having spent two weeks of non stop searching looking for the perfect tv i have finally found the perfect tv.

Firstly, if your reading this you have probably read all the other reviews and have some doubt about the negatives mentioned about the tv.

Im a regular gamer (PS3) and one thing mentioned about this tv is the lag, even the professional reviews have give this tv a negative about this. Upon playing games such as Guitar hero at first there is lag to the point were some games are unplayable and i was unhappy with the tv at this point. However, having played with the settings, this is no longer an issue. To solve this I pressed the quick menu button on the remote and selected the 'Game' option on the AV selection, the lag goes completely away. You will see the screen adjust and go darker and this can be adjusted further in the settings.

The other negative about the tv i read about was the sound, to be honest I have not noticed any problems and have watched a couple of Blu-Rays to date without a problem. The sound is what i would expect from a tv and does not sound any worse than my previous thicker Toshiba tv. I really dont know what people are expecting from the sound if this is not good. If you want more bass get a surround sound system.

The 2d-3d conversion is surprisingly good, however when you put some real 3d content on the tv the picture looks sharp with plenty of depth. You wont get better 3d to be honest. With the 7 pairs of free glasses included i highly recommend that you choose the cinema 3D instead of active. The glasses are cheaper lighter and provide less strain on your eyes.

Uncharted 3 looks amazing, along with sonic generations, i tried F1 2011 with the 2d-3d conversion and this was excellent also. I don't play uncharted 3 without using the 3d now.

Ive been watching the tv in the dark and found no problems with the 3D, despite having read a review about this.

I have my router close to the tv so i was able to connect to the internet via a LAN cable. The tv recognised it was connected straight away and started to download an update. I have only downloaded 1 app to date which was the 3D app which lets you steam alot of 3D videos from the internet. The Youtube app lets you watch any youtube video, however using the standard remote takes abit of time to type what you are searching for. I may buy the other remote which you can use just like you Wii controllers.

Despite the title the 42LW550T is 600hz which provides clear movement of fast moving objects on the screen minimising any stutter. This works great when watching football and ive noticed it kick in when playing games. Lots of difference compared to my previous 50hz tv.

A little extra i have got with the tv which i did not expect was the option to view videos, pictures and listen to music from my laptop. My laptop connects to the wifi though wireless and it found my tv and asked if it could share files with the tv. I enabled it and before i knew it i was watching videos on my tv stored on my laptop. I must point out that some of the file formats were not recognised, such as wmv. type files.

I opted to go for an LED tv as they use less energy then other type if tv's and also provide a greater picture. This tv is packed full of energy saving features and having the tv on all day, you can not barely feel any heat coming off it.

I searched all over for the best deal for the price and this was the one i always come back to, im so glad that i bought it despite the negative reviews.

So to save you time, i would buy this without searching any more, don't opt for a cheaper plasma spend a bit more on this LED smart 3D tv, you wont be disappointed.

I will provide any updates if i find any problems in the meantime.

Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge (PS3)
Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge (PS3)
Price: 17.26

3.0 out of 5 stars A let down, 20 Dec 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I was really looking forward to this game given the long wait for a decent rugby instalment, however there seems to be something missing and frustrating about this game to the point were i have stopped playing and don't feel like going back to it again. I have decided to trade this in now whilst the value is still high.

Things that put me off the game are minor things like a jittery menu's, longish loading times and just the overall fun factor missing. Ai is still buggy too with players running away from the ball when attacking.

I did not enjoy this game, even after playing the RWC which i would look more forward to playing than this.

To be fair, you can tell that the makers have really tried to get it right in this game. I did enjoy the graphics, licensed Aviva premiership was an highlight for me, and watching New Zealand's dance thing before the game (not attempting the spelling). The practice field whilst the match is loading (like fifa) is also a good idea but it is not enough to rescue the game.

The gameplay was also a let down which made me feel like i was not in control of the team whilst the opposition was attacking and i found myself flicking between the difficulty settings just to get the right balance.

Im sure some people will stick with this game as it is not the worst rugby game in the world, but with nothing much around to compare it too, you can only think that the makers could hardly get much wrong.

Overall it will not be a game that i will miss and the reason i am trading it sooner rather than later.

LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3)
LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews speak for themselves, 18 Oct 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
What a very polished up game this is, the graphics are some of the best seen on this console and the game in whole is just great fun to play.

The fact this game has not one bad review goes to say that every PS3 owner should have this game in their collection. BUY THIS NOW

F1 2011 (PS3)
F1 2011 (PS3)
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 4.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Great F1 Sim, 18 Oct 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: F1 2011 (PS3) (Video Game)
Loving the career mode in this game and the challenge that this game is giving me. I no longer can overtake every proffesional racing car driver with ease, instead it feels more realistic in that i am against the worlds best. I am playing this with all the assists on and finding it very entertaining.

Fully licenesed F1 game which i would recommend to any F1 fan.

TomTom ONE IQ Routes Edition Satellite Navigation Unit UK & ROI
TomTom ONE IQ Routes Edition Satellite Navigation Unit UK & ROI

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple sat nav with all the latest features, 27 Feb 2010
Firstly let me start off by saying that my previous sat nav was a Sony Nav-U which i bought for 100.00 about 3 years ago so im comparing this to that.

When i first started the sat nav the first thing i noticed was the ease of the touchscreen. Its alot easier to type addresses and postcodes than my previous Sony Sat Nav.

Secondly i am very surprised at the amount you can customise on this thing, from the display colours at day and night all the way to the type of voice. Being british i find the british speaking women on it a little annoying and find the Irish lass a lot more pleasant to listen to. I noticed also that you can download voices such as Homer Simpson and Mr T from the Tom Tom Website at a small fee. In addition to this there are loads of free ones too which other users have added.

When i plugged it into my laptop with the lead provided it couldn't have been simpler. It took me directly to their homepage in which it advised me that the map i had pre loaded was out of date and instantly gave me the option to download the new map for free. This took about 3 mins. Also it gave me a list of other things to download such as an update to speed up the connection to a satellite. Now i don't seem to notice the sat nav unconnected. As i flicked through the different things to download i was glad to find an icon to replace the blue arrow in form of my Mini Cooper which was a nice touch.

When i first opened the box to this sat nav a thought the screen looked very small, until i turned it on and the display looked very sharp and didn't seem so small after all.

The plunger to stick this to your windscreen is very well designed, unlike my old Sony sat nav it has a wheel to turn which sticks this to your windscreen with ease, when your finished you just turn the wheel in the opposite direction and it comes off easily. (I was very impressed with this).

I thought the lane guidance was for most roads and thought this would help me alot but upon use, i have only noticed this on motorways which does help but i was wanting it for say, huge roundabouts with multiple lanes. Still a good feature to have on motorways.

In respect of battery life, i have drove from Leeds to London within 3 and a half hours without it plugged in and it lasted all the way. I noticed from the description that it says the battery life is upto 3 hours so don't know what is going on there.

Finally i was wondering about the speed alert and was thinking it would be annoying if it beeped everytime you went over the limit. This turns out to be fine, it allows you to go say 32-33mph on a 30 road without going off but if you go over that it will go red on the screen and after about 2 seconds it will then beep. If that is too annoying for you then there are a list of different alerts noises you can use or if that's not helping you can turn it off all together.
Another quick thing i did was for it to let me know when i was 300 yards away from a petrol station so i know im always near juice should i need some urgently down the motorway. You can also choose other things it will alert to you such as cinema's, shopping, garages, etc.

I prefer the smaller screens to the widescreens as for me the display looks better and its nice and easy to pull form your windscreen and fit in your pocket.

So if your looking for a simple to use sat nav with a load of features and easy to update maps, then choose this, you won't be disappointed.