Profile for Norman Day > Reviews

Content by Norman Day

Norman Day "voles" (Markyate, UK)

This Is Fats Domino
This Is Fats Domino
Price: 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Records from a bad Vinyl pressing at the wrong speed!, 11 April 2014
This review is from: This Is Fats Domino (MP3 Download)
How do you go about getting a refund for am mp3?

This Is Fats Domino (Original Album Plus Bonus Tracks, 1957) is a much better download altogether by the sound of it.

I know this has all already been said but I feel a need to emphasise it as I am out of pocket.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 12:39 PM BST

The Decca Tapes
The Decca Tapes
Price: 7.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Fast Again, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Decca Tapes (MP3 Download)
The Previews indicate that this bootleg has been mastered too fast (as in other similar releases). Search for Purple Chick 'I hope we passed the audition'

The Origin of Species and the Voyage of the Beagle: And, The Voyage of the Beagle (Vintage Classics)
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars No Introduction by Ruth Padel - Different Edition?, 24 Oct 2011
This isn't really a review - simply an observation before first reading it. Although all the text appears to be there, I can find no 'Introduction' by Ruth Padel - or is it just me? It would appear that the digital edition is not the same as the paperback which perhaps accounts for the price.

Selected Piano Exam Pieces 2007-2008: Grade 1(Selected Piano Exam Pieces 2007-2008)
by Associated Board of the Royal Schools of
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Surely shome mistake?, 22 Jan 2008
I gave it 5 stars because I am giving it the benefit of the doubt.

However, what I wanted to point out was that the picture shows the cover for Grade 2 Piano pieces, but the description is for Grade 1!

Which is it?

Richard III  [Region Free] [DVD] [1955]
Richard III [Region Free] [DVD] [1955]
Dvd ~ Laurence Olivier
Offered by Flushing Meadows
Price: 10.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this is worst edition of this film I have seen, 5 April 2007
I know this version is no longer available from Amazon, but it is possible that someone might buy it from the Marketplace like myself. This is a terrible edition! Despite the description there are NO special features. The special features mentioned belong to the Criterion Edition of the film which is by far the best available. However because the aforementioned non-existent special features were mentioned I thought that this was the long awaited PAL version but I was fooled I'm afraid.

The worst aspect is the film itself though. The colours are washed out and it has obviously been copied from an nth generation cinema print (you even see the circles coming up in the corner to alert the projectionist to change the reel). The film is panned and scanned to 4:3 though it was filmed at 1:66:1, such that some of the credits and titles are lost on the left side of the screen. The soundtrack is mono and as noisy as one would expect. I did not watch enough to see how complete the cut was but I can guess that is unrestored like the first British release.

There is a new UK release which is much better than this in every way, but the best and most complete is still easily the Criterion edition.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2008 8:08 AM BST

Richard III (Special Edition) [DVD]
Richard III (Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laurence Olivier
Price: 8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the Criterion Cut, 27 Mar 2007
I had hoped that this was the same cut that was released by Criterion, but it isn't. However it is an improvement on the previous British DVD, better framed with improved colour and sound. Nevertheless it is still missing the meticulous reconstruction of the Criterion release, so we get the annoying jumps between edits now and then. Somehow it appears to be over 5 minutes shorter as well! The aspect ration is 16:9 when it should be 1.66:1 as well I think. Never mind. The epic Channel 4 program is an excellent 'special feature' though. To conclude, it should, I think, go without saying that this a marvellous film, whether you are a Shakespeare fan or not, which is why I gave it 4 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2011 12:53 PM GMT

Calamity Jane (film 1953) / Pajama Game (film 1957)
Calamity Jane (film 1953) / Pajama Game (film 1957)
Offered by jayjayandbob
Price: 6.31

5.0 out of 5 stars The reviews don't fit the product, 6 May 2004
Just doing this to redress the balance really. One review says get the reissue when B00000IG38 is the reissue as far as I know.
Also another reviewer refers to these being re-recordings when the album is clearly labeled as OST.
I think these reviews, which might have put people off unneccessarily were for 'Songs from Clamity Jane and The Pajama Game'for which they would fit!
It wouldn't be so bad if the reviews were not borrowed by every shopbot out there!

Cracker - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1993]
Cracker - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Robbie Coltrane
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great series - but where are the episodes?, 30 Sep 2003
I have the same problem with these DVDs as I had with Prime Suspect - namely the producers of the DVDs have thought fit to splice all the episodes of each story together - thus making a series of overlong movies. It would have been much better to have watched it over several nights as originally intended and less tiring! The Prime Suspect series was even worse of course - giving us movies of over 3 hours. Don't tell me I can just stop when I want to - I just can't do that with a film :-(
Still nothing wrong with content - one of the best series ever.