Profile for Mr. R. J. Jones > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. J. Jones

Mr. R. J. Jones (Jersey, Channel Islands, British Isles)

The Yellow-lighted Bookshop
The Yellow-lighted Bookshop
by Lewis Buzbee

5.0 out of 5 stars THE JOY OF BOOKS, 10 May 2007
Can't remember where I heard about this volume but it sounded like I had to add it to my collection of books about books. Having read it I am so glad my local independent bookshop in England (sorry Amazon) managed to get hold of a copy. The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop is a joy from beginning to end. Buzbee writes fondly and wittily of his subject and interweaves his personal experience as a bookseller and publisher's rep with a history of printing and the book in general. He must have done his background reading and manages to clarify aspects of the printed word of which I only had partial knowledge and does so in a style which is a pleasure to savour. The story of Ulysses and Shakespeare and Co., for example, I knew a bit about but now I know the whole story.

This book is a little gem and for me is the next best thing to emerge from America since Anne Fadiman's Ex Libris. And I must praise this book as object - its design and production values are among the highest. The typeset pages are a delight (well, apart from one or two typos!), the paper is perfect and I love the uncut fore-edge - not something that British publishers indulge in. The endpapers are yellow, of course, and the cover design inventive and witty.

I was a librarian for 10 years, an independent bookseller for 25, and I have been publishing and writing books since 1979. Although so many of your references are particular to the USA I too have shared many of your experiences and most definitely the same enthusiasms. Thankyou, Lewis Buzbee. If you read this and consider e-mailing me then please do - I have a book I should like to give you.