Profile for iamaweasel > Reviews

Content by iamaweasel

iamaweasel "iamaweasel" (Kyiv, Ukraine)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Chambers Dictionary
The Chambers Dictionary
by Chambers (Ed)
Price: 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Firstly the book is beautifully presented: the sleeve is slightly embossed front & ..., 27 July 2014
Firstly the book is beautifully presented: the sleeve is slightly embossed front & back. It’s significantly larger than my old edition, but it is now 2000-ish pages. Retains its idiosyncrasies (e.g. wine bottle sizes) but now has ‘The Word Lovers Ramble’ first introduced in 2008 I believe. Pages are very fine paper but of high quality: they make you take care. Opened a page at random: Isoxsuprine. I didn’t understand the definition let alone the word, but I’m glad that I’ve had the opportunity to be non-plussed. & don’t get me started on ‘Fuddy-Duddy’

This is a smart, intelligent witty dictionary that is a pleasure to hold, & a pleasure to peruse. Makes Google look like a dullard, & is a bloody treat.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2014 10:18 AM BST

Signal 30 EP
Signal 30 EP
Price: 1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars PSB - just brill', 10 July 2013
This review is from: Signal 30 EP (MP3 Download)
The above says it all really, I have everything they have put out so far and have never been disappointed with anything. Intelligent music.

Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead
Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead
Price: 0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Download and use as a ringtone!, 10 April 2013
As other have said please download - but even better is to use it as a ringtone on your mobile!

INNI (Vinyl Including DVD Insert) [VINYL]
INNI (Vinyl Including DVD Insert) [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Magesterial, 1 Dec 2011
Firstly ideally don't listen to this album on headphones, unless they're really very, very good (in the B&W class for example), but half-decent decent speakers at the very least. There's just too much music in there for a little in ear/over ear speaker to render. A Tsunami of music crashes into your ears. It's, I think, irrelevant to pick this or that track, as better or worse. As others have noted this album is a glimpse into the power of the Sigur Ros live experience; huge and at times completely overwhelming . It demands you go back and listen again, shell-shocked, as to whether it really was what you'd heard, and could it really be that overwhelming. There's subtly in the onslaught, but you have to go back to find it, but find it you will.

Get yourself an isolated cottage; open all the windows and doors; run it through your B&W's or Monitor Audio's and turn the amp up to 11. & then frighten an awful lot of sheep!

Popplagid - just a huge Wow!

Utterly, utterly magnificent.

Hello Sadness
Hello Sadness
Price: 11.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Los Campesinos - Hello Sadness, 25 Nov 2011
This review is from: Hello Sadness (Audio CD)
Well I can only concur with the BBC review posted above; I've had my copy for a week or so (an early signed release) and there is less joie de vivre and more than a hint of darkness to the music/songs. Actually for an old fart like myself it somehow makes the music more approachable and, dare I say it, more mature. I've only listened to it 3 or 4 times thusfar (having been on a bit of a musicspendingfrenzy of late), and mainly whilst doing other things such as typing this short intro' (ie it's playing now!). I will supplement this intro' once I've given it a good spanking over the weekend. I've given it 5 *s as I have to give a score on it to post, & I've been impressed so far, but by Sunday night I may sneak back and amend it, just depending on a much closer listen.......

RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
Price: 29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Peachy, 28 Oct 2011
Well I've dropped all my other day to day headphones in favour of these. Clean, direct and largely accurate in their delivery (to my aged ears at least). Just a nice balance of bass and treble: HiFi they ain't but for the price they're just so bloody good.

The practicality of having braided cords is also such a boon on a day to day basis: it's trivial I know but all that struggling with tangled cords is just so unnecessary. Nice touches like being able to shorten the lead (via a little wotsit that slides up, if you know what I mean) helps as well, as is the overall build quality.

I've been on a bit of a 3-4 year pilgrimage to get a sensible pair of in-ear `phones and now I think I've found them. My CX 550's have been consigned to a cup-holder in my car `just in case'.

Nicely presented, beautifully performing straightforward earphones for around thirty quid. Lush as those young kids today are wont to say. For the iPod/MP3 generation these have to be a revelation cf the crap that usually ships with the players.

ps

For the last couple of days I've used these to 'monitor the recent Sigur Ros Inni album: they've rendered a clearer and more accurate delivery than any of the IE phones I have access to. Nothing close to the Rega speakers I default to, but bloody good for what they are. I'd give a six* if I could.

Biophilia
Biophilia
Price: 8.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Have to disagree with the gainsayers, 11 Oct 2011
This review is from: Biophilia (Audio CD)
My vinyl copy is on order (who the hell buys poxy CDs these days!) but I've made a point of repeatedly listening, perhaps more relevantly hearing/absorbing the album in 320bpm mp3 over the last couple of days. As for me thusfar it's an intimate tour de force: I just love her exaggerated 'Scandinavian' intonation of some words and phrases. I wholly accept that if this isn't your bag then, but for anyone that followed this remarkable young woman's career (and yes I am that old to be able to refer to her as young), it may come across as too contrived, but what a contrivance! There's almost a touch of Noh theatre about delivery and the structure - otherworldly indeed.

As for the aps-type stuff, well my age and aversion to anything Applian actually prejudices me against it, but I'm happy to overlook the Apple-things for the wonderful nature of the content of the actual album.

A beautiful audio challenge and delight, and I'm happy to step outside (with the mighty Bjork in tow btw) with anyone that is dull-enough to gainsay this.......
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2012 9:55 PM BST

Logitech M325 Wireless Mouse - Indigo Scroll
Logitech M325 Wireless Mouse - Indigo Scroll

5.0 out of 5 stars Good straightforward mouse - with a not so little plus, 3 Oct 2011
For my sins didn't buy it from Gods Own Online Shopping retailer (got it at John Lewis btw @ 19.99) but it's a straightforward three-button mouse; fast and responsive and does the biz. Can't comment thus-far on it's battery life as I only picked it up this afternoon. But it's compatible with Logitech's Unified USB transmitter: a tiny little USB dongle that will support (allegedly) up to six compatible USB devices. and it does indeed work a treat; switch off then on and the dongle picks up the new device automatically. Works a treat.

A Creature I Don't Know
A Creature I Don't Know
Offered by A2Z Entertains
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Creature I Don't Know - well only for the past week or so...., 12 Sep 2011
This review is from: A Creature I Don't Know (Audio CD)
A rather more eclectic offering and more varied in tone than her previous two albums and one that's also more demanding - it's been available to listen to on a stream on the Guardian's website for about a week or so, and there are torrentable copies of a decent quality out there as well (and yes I've got my order for the box-set already winging its way to me so I've not snaffled free stuff at Laura's expense). A bit `Guinnessy' in that it needs a couple of listens to before it beds-in, but it is completely worth the perseverance. The preview reviews in the press have extremely positive as well - the girl's been touched by not a little genius to be putting out her third album and of this quality at 21. As others have noted it is the track The Beast (was a creature I did not know) that sits at the heart of the album. In interviews she's pointedly noted that she'd set the overall structure and tone of the album before anyone else got their trotters on it, so that this is so much more her album, with the techies and producers having much less of an impact on the overall finished product. And it shows. A challenging treat.

Ps Laura Marling will be on the radio with Lauren Laverne on BBC 6M Tuesday 13 September at 10am. Later that day she'll be interviewed by John Wilson of Front Row (BBC Radio 4 at 7:15pm. On the 14th, between 7-9pm she will be doing a live solo session on Radio 1)

I Find You Very Attractive
I Find You Very Attractive
Price: 8.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Would you? Did I?, 11 Sep 2011
I was working in the Former Soviet Union in the mid-late `90s and thence on into the 2000s and beyond (wistfully sighs); Touch and Go were being played absolutely everywhere. And very loud. The joie de vivre of their music seemed to capture the expectancy of `freedom' of the post-communist zeitgeist (did I really just type that sentence?!). But it did, it really did, the clubs and bars of Petersburg were banging, but it was in the smaller towns that the great leap appeared to be even more dramatic.

& it's such a really, really great album; clever in its arrangements and often very witty in its lyrics and in its delivery (and I have to disagree with the paltry 4*er - I like the repetitiveness of some of the lyrics). So upbeat and positive and life-affirming. As for me, every now and again i h just have to popped the devil on: wallow in a bit of nostalgia but mainly to revel in the musicality.

That there's so little recorded music generally available from T&G beggars belief (though I picked up some bootlegs of stuff in the various markets out East, & of course for snaff all).

And re my opening question. I did, and extremely nice it was too. Every time. Some more wistful sighs........

Page: 1 | 2 | 3