Profile for PJ > Reviews

Starter Switch 4W - 80W for Fluorescent Tube
Starter Switch 4W - 80W for Fluorescent Tube
Offered by The Lightbulb Company

4.0 out of 5 stars Works OK, 3 Feb. 2014
Was bought with tube in case old starter didn't work. No problem (both this and the old starter work, so we've got a spare now).

Bulk Hardware 40W 1213mm T12 Fluorescent Tube - White
Bulk Hardware 40W 1213mm T12 Fluorescent Tube - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 3 Feb. 2014
Our previous tube finally failed after a good few years. We considered changing the tube holder as the T12 isn't that common nowadays, but didn't have the time. We might have found a local supplier if there was time, but this was the easiest option and it's working with no problem. We'd consider changing to LED lighting when this tube fails.

Neon C2469F Original Remote Control
Neon C2469F Original Remote Control
Offered by cherrypickelectronics

4.0 out of 5 stars What I required, 3 Feb. 2014
This was bought for a friend who isn't' on the internet & had broken their own remote control (same model). The item works & seems no problem.

Insight Flexi Map: Paris (Insight Flexi Maps)
Insight Flexi Map: Paris (Insight Flexi Maps)
by Apa
Edition: Map

4.0 out of 5 stars Served its purpose fine, 14 Oct. 2013
We were going on a day trip to Paris & being cautious wanted a map before we went! It did its job. I liked the Flexi covering too.

Tubular Heater 60watts 1ft Long
Tubular Heater 60watts 1ft Long

4.0 out of 5 stars As we expected, 14 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Tubular Heater 60watts 1ft Long
We previously had a 120 watts heater for years, but when it needed replacing it was clear that was too big, a waste of electricity (we don't have a timer). So we found this one; my wife's father, an engineer, actually made his own airing cupboard heater many years ago using a 60W light bulb in the filament bulb days when most of the watts went in heat so we knew it'd be OK.
I like the looks, & found it easy to install (if you're OK with drilling in walls).
It certainly produces noticeably less heat than the 120W one, but as we've wired it in properly (I snipped off the mains plug and wired it directly to an existing switch in the cupboard) we can shut the cupboard door which helps the heat & still gives some draught through the edges.
I'd recommend this to anyone with a not-very-big airing cupboard (ours is about a metre wide, the same back-to-front, and about 3 metres high) who makes clothes pretty dry before going in there.

Developing and Delivering Practice-Based Evidence: A Guide for the Psychological Therapies: Effectiveness Research in Counselling and the Psychological Therapies
by Michael Barkham

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for those with some background, 23 Oct. 2011
This book is suitable for people like me who have some knowledge of psychotherapy and are interested in the important task of objective evaluation of its effect on individual clients. I also have a background in science-type subjects, and a bit of neurology, which probably helps my understanding and appreciation of the book. I'd say it reflects up-to-date thinking by experts in a subject which is very likely to grow in our age and the times we live in.

It might be a bit 'heavy going' for people with less relevant background..........

Original Blessing: Primer in Creation Spirituality
Original Blessing: Primer in Creation Spirituality
by Matthew Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite interesting, 17 Aug. 2011
Quite interesting, giving new ideas to me. I think one has to be wary of his 'over-enthusiasm', as if he's got the answers to everything or his approach is always the best.

Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy
Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy
by Irvin D. Yalom

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and readable, 20 May 2011
I bought this book in preparation for a course on Group Psychotherapy run by a respected counselling organisation which recommended it as pre-course reading matter. It's a big book (nearly 600 pages),and I've only read the first 65 or so, but I've already gained a lot from it.

I'm probably helped in finding it readable by (1)having done an introductory course in counselling; (2) having worked in the office of a counselling organisation. I haven't yet done counselling work myself.

The edition is 2005, so it's not super new; but there's a lot of experience in there, and the cover shows very good reviews.

102 Cryptic Crosswords (Official Mensa Puzzle Book)
102 Cryptic Crosswords (Official Mensa Puzzle Book)
by Fraser Simpson
Edition: Spiral-bound

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I wanted, 28 Dec. 2010
This book is falsely advertised - there is no mention in it at all of Mensa - it is not an official Mensa book - and I bought it because it had been so advertised. It is a reasonable cryptic crossword puzzle book, but the bookshop and Amazon ARE MISLEADING THE PUBLIC by advertising it as Mensa.

Living Deeply: The Art and Science of Transformation in Everyday Life
Living Deeply: The Art and Science of Transformation in Everyday Life
by Marilyn Mandala Schlitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Dec. 2010
I bought this after reading a review in a Quaker organisation I belong to. It hasn't disappointed. It fits in with a lot of background info I have from neurology, counselling/psychotherapy and 'Creation Spirituality'. It's written carefully for all sorts. I'm starting to try the exercises, though aiming to tailor them to myself.

Page: 1 | 2